Notices

Trans Snap Ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Trans Snap Ring

So I'm assembling my tsx transmission and we can't manage to spread the damn snap ring the seats the countershaft bearing into the outer casing! I'm sure that the culprit is marring from metal pieces getting into the area around the groove in which the snap ring seats in the casing, and likely the groove itself. However, I feel as though I can get away with using it still. Considering drilling holes for my snap ring pliers to pry the ring, as I've been using random tools. Can't find a proper tool anywhere. I'm so close to having a running car. Ideas?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Re: Trans Snap Ring

Take the ring out and debur and clean out that groove. That looks pretty rough in there and being a magnesium case it is going to be finicky.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trans Snap Ring

Update. I believe my issue to be from the mainshaft ball bearing getting stuck in the casing in a crooked manner. I wasted enough time trying to remove it from the upper casing. Please look closely to determine which side of the bearing to tap for it to come out in a straight fashion. After closer inspection, I was able to give one side a tap with a piece of wood to get it out. Originally, I thought the bearing was stuck in the housing lol. It's all part of the learning process. Regarding removing the snap ring, I tried removing it, but didn't see it possible without scratching the magnesium even more or snipping the ring and waiting for a new one to arrive at my local dealer.

I'm picking up a new bearing tomorrow and, hoping it stays, will insert the bearing into the upper casing before trying to reassemble. I will also lather the snap ring in MTF to reduce the friction that I believe there to be.

Disclaimer: Yes, 2x4 elevating bellhousing. I haven't yet tried 'dropping' the transmission. Also, running the transmission to get the ring to seat sounds disastrous, I don't see how your casing could even mate without those 2mm of closure.

Last edited by ksnRock; 06-06-2019 at 04:33 PM.