Notices

Shift linkage failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage failure

I've got a K20 swapped EG hatch with brand new shift linkage. It only has about 30K miles on the linkage and the cable snapped the other day. This is my daily driver and I'm not doing crazy things with it. The cable that moves the linkage forward/backward (from 1st to 2nd) snapped just past the rod inside the car where it is attached to the cable (The cable frayed, snapped). I have a Buddy Club short shifter and Karcepts mount. Has anyone had this issue or known someone who has. I just ordered the upgraded linkage from Hybrid racing and I hope not to have the problem again. Looking for any personal experiences with either the stock linkage or the aftermarket linkage. The OEM stuff ran about $250 so I figured why not upgrade for an additional $100 and get something better (I hope). Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Function > Form

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shift linkage failure

I've heard of people with K swaps having issues with this but I am not sure why. I also haven't really heard anything other than a swapped car.

You might get better results in the K-Motor section. I will move it for you.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

hybrid cables here is a link
http://www.hybrid-racing.com/?cat=4&p=689
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I know of the Hybrid cables, I ordered them. I was wanting experiences with stock cables breaking and/or upgrades to the Hybrid cables with reviews as they only have one on the site. Am I the only person to have the stock cable snap?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RIZOBIZERT
Thanks, I know of the Hybrid cables, I ordered them. I was wanting experiences with stock cables breaking and/or upgrades to the Hybrid cables with reviews as they only have one on the site. Am I the only person to have the stock cable snap?
there have been many accounts of stock cables breaking
Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any comments on the Hybrid replacements?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RIZOBIZERT
Any comments on the Hybrid replacements?
there great def worth the money
Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I had my B series with rod linkage I would never grind gears even with the short shifter. Here I was having problems with the K. The motor only had 4K on it when I got it and so I was confused. I thought the clutch pedal needed adjustment, perhaps I needed the Omni power clutch master cylinder....I was chasing my tail. So, are the shifts crisps and clean similar to the B series rod linkage? I was grinding 4 to 5 on occasion. Sure the occasional 1 to 2, but it was a used tranny. I had to double clutch to get third. WTF? Well then my linkage snapped. I hope my synchros are trashed as a result of the linkage be poor.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got the new Hybrid cables. I'll let everyone know my impressions for installation and use.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I'm running a Karcepts mount kit with Buddy Club short shifter. I had to remove the Karcepts kit which meant removing part of the exhaust, but no worries. The Hybrid cables are thicker in an effort to be more durable and stiffer. As a result I had to use a grinding wheel on the Karcepts mount in order to get the sleeve to fit. The online instructions advised that I would need an additional 'c' clip as the Hybrid cables use a different mount on the shifter than the stock cables. I was pissed since my car was broken down at the moment. Luckily my friend has a swap in progress and I snatched one from him. Okay, test drive time. One word, notchy. I can feel first then neutral and then second. There's no more guessing if I'm actually engaged all the way. Same for all the other gears. There's a ton of feedback vs. the stock component. The only downside to all this besides the $350 big ones is that I can't utilize the short shifter to maximum adjustment. You can read about this in the instructions on Hybrid's site. Since that's the case I'd recommend the shifter box that they sell. So far, so good, I look forward to the drive to work tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Glad to see that they are working out for you!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So far, very pleased with the product. I'll give you another review after a good thrashing.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive broke a few sets of stock cables. I just keep replacing them with another used set. I wish I had the money for the Hybrid Racing cables and box. Its the greatest thing ive seen since sliced bread. I could have bought them by now with the money ive spent on all the stock ones
Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to be swapping everything from the EG to a DC in the next year. I've got two DC cars in the driveway now, just need some time. I need better aerodynamics than my hatch offers. I'm waiting to do the swap so I can get the shifter box rather than cut a hole in the floor. Oh, a few days of driving and no complaints or issues with the new linkage, all is working great.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are your cables bolted down anywhere?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are referring to the sleeve of the cable, then yes, it is bolted to the sub frame.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stock cables have plastic couplers and parts etc in the cables, thats what iv read causes the problems with braking, the hybrid ones dont have any plastic parts
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually my cable broke. It was the forward, backward cable and it broke close to the shifter. Based on what Hybrid-racing has to say, my short shifter may be the cause of the problem. The adjustment in the short shifter causes a less than desired angle to the cable.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it was the short shifter that caused them to snap. My buddy had the same one on his rsk, had it set 'tooo tight' and over time it snapped. Should no problems at all with just the stock shifter.