Notices

Quick question about AWD conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about AWD conversion.

Hi everyone. I haven't had a honda civic in a long time and I have always regretted selling mine. So sometime this year I would like to buy another. I have no interest in doing builds anymore. Rather buy one already done.

Anyways if it's possible I would like to do an awd conversion. If I can get it done right I would really like to do this. If I can't get it done right no big deal. FWD is good as well.

OK enough rambling.....

Every build I see with a K20 or K24 they use a CRV transmission. Makes sense. But they they use a wagon rear differential. Why is this? Seems to me the CRV rear differential would be designed to work with the CRV transmission. But no one seems to use them? I'd love to know why. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question about AWD conversion.

May have found information to my own question.

First ever 2011 Element Rear diff into 1st gen CRV RD2 rt4wd info inside
Old 02-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The reason to use the Wagovan Rt4wd diff, drive shaft and axles and hubs is mainly because the CRV rear diff uses clutches that are engages by gears and a hydro setup that generally slips. Add more hp to the car and they slip even more. the wagovan setup uses a viscous coupler that also uses clutches but the fluids in between them practically "fuse" them together upon very little slip.

I've been speculating on doing the awd setup in my 96 k20 swapped hatchback as I have all the parts minus the CRV trans however I would possibly sell the parts as I may head in a different, Higher hp direction.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoldieWang
The reason to use the Wagovan Rt4wd diff, drive shaft and axles and hubs is mainly because the CRV rear diff uses clutches that are engages by gears and a hydro setup that generally slips. Add more hp to the car and they slip even more. the wagovan setup uses a viscous coupler that also uses clutches but the fluids in between them practically "fuse" them together upon very little slip.

I've been speculating on doing the awd setup in my 96 k20 swapped hatchback as I have all the parts minus the CRV trans however I would possibly sell the parts as I may head in a different, Higher hp direction.
Yeah the link about goes into this. They used a 2011 honda element which is a better system. Then he mentions at the botton you can swap the differential for a LSD from a B series. Honda element case with a B series lsd. Just waiting for the right car to come along. If I go this route it will be next winter.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice bit of info man. I had no idea the element would work much less with a b series lsd