Notices

Which K20?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which K20?

I just bought an 04 type s. I really know nothing of the car other than i like it, as i came from building v8's , to this. I basically need to start out by learning which block came in my car so i can get things started.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which K20?

You have a K20A2.

What other questions do you have?

-David
Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Thank you.

I basically need to know just any little tips i can for what would be a good route to take with the car? Such as small bolt on hp increases ranging to good suspension and major engine work. Like i said this is my first ordeal involving an import.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Start off with the basics.

You're in luck that you've got the RSX Type S. It has the better of the two engines that were available in the US.

Start off with an intake, header and exhaust system. Depending on your budget, the Hondata KPRO is the best best thing for power increases. From there you can dig deeper into the engine and its components.

Replacing the throttle body and intake manifold also yield good hp gains in addition to a set of aftermarket camshafts.

Check out, K20a.org, ClubRSX and hybridracing.com for a ton of good info.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Surje.motorsports

Originally Posted by dschybrid
Start off with the basics.

You're in luck that you've got the RSX Type S. It has the better of the two engines that were available in the US.

Start off with an intake, header and exhaust system. Depending on your budget, the Hondata KPRO is the best best thing for power increases. From there you can dig deeper into the engine and its components.

Replacing the throttle body and intake manifold also yield good hp gains in addition to a set of aftermarket camshafts.

Check out, K20a.org, ClubRSX and hybridracing.com for a ton of good info.
good info

do you have specific goals for the car? track? daily drive? show??
Old 09-02-2009, 06:08 PM

daily driver. But i want it to be quick too. Mainly just low 13's at best probably. I've looked into kpro already as well as a cold air intake and header followed with full exhaust. I cant stand the loud "fart cannon" **** tho. Any good mufflers to look in to to avoid this? I know i could silence it, but wouldnt that just defeat the purpose of a new exhaust?

My first actuall plans for the car are suspension and wheels. I want to lower it about two to three inches but not to the point that it makes it a pain in the *** to drive due to scraping. Any good suspension idea's?

Also what would be a good front end to convert to? Like company wise. I like the look of the flat non integra style headlight set up of the 05-06 models. Not so much for the tail lights tho. I dont like the euro look.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Surje.motorsports

Originally Posted by Statutory_Ape
daily driver. But i want it to be quick too. Mainly just low 13's at best probably. I've looked into kpro already as well as a cold air intake and header followed with full exhaust. I cant stand the loud "fart cannon" **** tho. Any good mufflers to look in to to avoid this? I know i could silence it, but wouldnt that just defeat the purpose of a new exhaust?

My first actual plans for the car are suspension and wheels. I want to lower it about two to three inches but not to the point that it makes it a pain in the *** to drive due to scraping. Any good suspension idea's?

Also what would be a good front end to convert to? Like company wise. I like the look of the flat non integra style headlight set up of the 05-06 models. Not so much for the tail lights tho. I dont like the euro look.
for the exhaust its pretty much all up to you what you want, a lot of people like to run Buddy Club, Greddy Evo 2, Skunk2 mega power, they also make a 276mm mega power r exhaust if your looking for some extra power also good if you have plans of boosting in the future...do you know if you want boost or keep it n/a? also check out some sound clips on youtube.com and see if that helps your decision..

check out this link for your suspension needs... however i would not go as low as you want to on the rsx chassis
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/official-dc5-ep3-faq-thread-look-here-before-posting-1778203/

you could always do a 05-06 front end conversion...you may also want to check out c-west for more aggressive styling and mugen or type-r lip kit, a-spec lip kit(USDM Factory kit), backyard special..

Last edited by nahonda04; 09-02-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 PM

I looked at it and measured and i would like to go down about an inch and a half to two inches. I dont think that would mess up anything for me. Maybe stick with the inch and a half tho. As for boosting, im thinking about going with a supercharger. Anyone have any sort of knowledge about these cars with a setup like that?

Something needs to be done either way, because i just lost to a maurader lol. Only by a third of a car, but still thats like getting tea bagged.

I need something for low end. I really dont know what to do for that tho!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Supercharger setups produce decent power gains, with great throttle response and low-range torque. However they really don't produce high HP numbers, and on higher boost situations they tend to become less efficient. An after cooler or water/meth injection would be a must for someone wanting to get serious HP numbers.

For a good 13 second RSX, look into a simple turbo setup. Any bolt on turbo kit will come with most of the necessary parts, you'd also need the KPRO and someone to tune the car. There are plenty of RSX's out there that make over 300whp with a simple bolt on turbo kit and good dyno tune. You will have to replace the clutch and fuel system as well.

There are a wide variety of suspension setups and what type you choose really depends on your budget. Some cheaper setups are more affordable and get the job done, but lack the reliability and adjustability that the higher end dampers offer.

If you intend on replacing you wheels at any point, you may want to take into account the wheel size/width when choosing a particular suspension setup. You want the ideal performance aspect, as well as a good visual setup. A set of coilovers from any respectable brand would suit you right as they will allow you to raise and lower the car at any point. Lowering springs, or aftermarket shocks won't allow for this type of adjustablility.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:19 PM

I was looking into full body coil overs from skunk2, but i have heard bad things about them. I would like to spend around a grand on suspension.

Last edited by nahonda04; 09-03-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Surje.motorsports

I was looking into full body coil overs from skunk2, but i have heard bad things about them. I would like to spend around a grand on suspension.
this suspension thread will tell you everything you need to know, from what kind of drop it gives to ride comfort-ability, to spring rates, and the best companies to buy from...check it out...we just made updates

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/ep3-dc5-suspension-tuning-basics-faqs-told-mustclime-2639666/
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought an 04 type s. I really know nothing of the car other than i like it, as i came from building v8's , to this. I basically need to start out by learning which block came in my car so i can get things started.

Wow! Someone asked a newbie question and didn't get flamed? Is HT maturing?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by InnerCityNinja
Wow! Someone asked a newbie question and didn't get flamed? Is HT maturing?
no its just the k forum..
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can also, find a k24a2 long block or k24a1 the a2 would be best .. with the a1 block you would need to swap your head over ... add intake, header, exhaust, k pro and call it goods on the motor... i like a dependable almost stock faster then normal car.... im pretty sure that will take you to low 13's all motor
Old 09-07-2009, 06:26 PM

some of my friends have told me the same thing. How much do you think that all of that would cost me?