Notices

1991 Honda CRX Si K20 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Honda CRX Si K20 AWD

Okay so this isn't a build thread, and this isn't a "how do i make my honda awd" thread. I've got the time and the disposable income, and while it may just forever be a pipe dream of mine, I'd like to get some input on my design ideas and just my ideas in general concerning this "swap."

So first and foremost, this isn't a show swap. When (if) i go through with this, it will be for a strictly autocross RACE car. Little to no regular street driving, and therefore it has to be bulletproof.

A bit of background on myself and the car:
I am a fairly young and new to the scene Honda guy, my DD is a 93 240sx Coupe (5-spd of course) and I have owned a 93 Integra GS, and currently own a 91 CRX Si. I am employed as a drafter/designer but I have dabbled in engineering and have some experience with critical-failure parts. So basically I'm not an idiot, but I am self taught, so bear with me if i get some things wrong. The car, my 91 CRX Si listed above has been my project for well over a year now and currently has an OEM parts LsV paired with a B16 transmission.

So, if and when I go through with the AWD conversion, I'd like to start out with the following basic parts list:

-K20 (not too picky which one, preferably from an RSX-S)
-CR-V Manual transmission (possibly with a RSX 6-sp gear set?)
-CR-V Rear differential
-CR-V Driveshaft (custom made/cut to fit the shorter chassis)
-CR-V Rear Hubs/axles/trailing arms/etc.

-One of my main thoughts is modifying the CR-V diff and transfer case to take power, anyone done or heard of this being done?
-I've seen in most builds similar to this the trailing arms being cut, matched, then re-welded. I have concerns on the effect this would have on the suspension geometry as well as the integrity of the stock trailing arm. Considering going tubular rear trailing arms. Any input/ideas?
-Anyone had EXPERIENCE with the forces applied to the diff under load actually warping its mounting points?
-What about the front subframe? Does it clear the diff/driveshaft?

That's about all I can think of at the moment, please keep the input constructive, and not "Go buy an Evo or STi" or stupid s*** like that.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 Honda CRX Si K20 AWD

70 views and nobody has any insight? come on guys lol
Old 12-29-2014, 08:13 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took a while to find this thread again, but if you look at how this guy converted the rear trailing arms you'll see how he kept the geometry the same.

https://honda-tech.com/appearance-bu...build-3187587/

Just curious, what specific type of drafting are you involved in?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious, what specific type of drafting are you involved in?
I mainly do SolidWorks and AutoCAD, with a sprinkling of hand drawing when editing old prints. As far as field, I did aerospace at my previous employer but currently I do all the systems of the boats my current employer manufactures. i.e. hydraulic, electrical, structural, etc.

Thanks for the link though, ill give that a read and see if it calms my concerns on the geometry.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-One of my main thoughts is modifying the CR-V diff and transfer case to take power, anyone done or heard of this being done?
unless you are planning on putting a ton of power down this should not be an issue.

-I've seen in most builds similar to this the trailing arms being cut, matched, then re-welded. I have concerns on the effect this would have on the suspension geometry as well as the integrity of the stock trailing arm. Considering going tubular rear trailing arms. Any input/ideas?
the geometry stays the same so that wouldn't be a concern. quality welds will not be the weak point in the arm but i have seen a few people that have done this add extra support to the arms. to build a full tube trailing arm would be a full project in itself.

-What about the front subframe? Does it clear the diff/driveshaft?
i am sure it would have to be notched. if cost is not an issued xenocron has a tubular front cross member that would solve your issue there.

use the search feature there are a number of builds out there like you want to do. anything is possible with a honda it all depends on how deep your pockets are.

my suggestion would be to do a normal k swap first once you get all the bugs worked out of that then start to think about awd.

Levi
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a k20a2 intake with fuel rail lol.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont worry about the views and no replies, they arent "people" views, they are spam bots.

Oh, and pipe dream wont happen
Old 12-29-2014, 04:06 PM
No Big Whoop

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
Dont worry about the views and no replies, they arent "people" views, they are spam bots.

Oh, and pipe dream wont happen

Yeah... this sort of thing happens first, then gets posted here, if it's ever going to happen.
There are pages and pages of this type of post on H-T that went nowhere.

Before you start typing about what engine and what transmission, post pictures of your shop and the equipment you have to pull this off.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you start typing about what engine and what transmission, post pictures of your shop and the equipment you have to pull this off.
My first post literally states:
"while it may just forever be a pipe dream of mine, I'd like to get some input on my design ideas"
But thanks for the helpful insight anyways man.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 AM
No Big Whoop

Originally Posted by edhogan1224
My first post literally states:
"while it may just forever be a pipe dream of mine, I'd like to get some input on my design ideas"
But thanks for the helpful insight anyways man.

Sure bro!
So basically you need to read the forums and do a few searches. All you could ever want to know about your pipe dream is here, but don't expect it to be spoon fed to you.
H-T is not known for that.