Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Been looking for information for about a month about engine swap but can't find any.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been looking for information for about a month about engine swap but can't find any.

First time doing a engine swap from d series to b series, also from obd0 to obd1. So about 2 months ago I purchased a 94 civic hatchback cx for $200. It needed a motor though. I have a b16a complete swap but came out of a 91 ef hatchback and I know that there is some stuff I gotta swap out on it to put it in my 94 hatchback. I just don't know exactly all the parts that I need to swap out. I know that the ef is a obd0 and that mine is a obd1. So what all the parts I need for it? I know it came with a cable trans and a shift linkage but was told the ef ones are shorter then the one I need. Also came with a chipped ecu but don't remember exactly which one it is off the top of my head.

I already got the following parts: I have a ls hydro trans, axles, distributor, ngk spark plug wires, fuel filter. I think a couple other b series parts but I'm not home right now to check.

I know I need to get a set of ngk spark plugs. The right shift linkage with the bushings. I know the trans needs a throwout bearing replace other then that its a good trans no pops or grinds. If there is more parts that I need to buy which I have a feeling there is going to be multiple parts lol. But I was told the motor would bolt right up to the stock mounts on my hatch and the the harness that came with the b16 will plug and play to the d series harness that's already on my hatchback.

All information and parts list that I will need will help me out so much. Thank you for the help in advance.
Attached Images     

Last edited by dunklehass14; 03-22-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Been looking for information for about a month about engine swap but can't find a

Make sure you get B series shift linkage, if you are still going to use the cable tranny you need a Hydro-to-cable kit for EG in think they sell those on eBay you need it with the Tranny mount, you don't need to change Rear mount just need a B series T-Bracket and you need a DC 2 bolt mount if you post mount is 2 bolt but you should be able to use the EG mount on driver side perfectly fine, I would definitely recommend for you to do Timing belt water pump and gaskets on that motor if you haven't already. As for the wiring you will need a OBD1 B series Dizzy and OBD1 engine harness a EG harness should work perfectly fine, going to need a OBD1 B series Alternator also, might as well change the clutch if your going to change throw-out bearing
Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much for replying. I am in process of of getting the b series shift linkage and a clutch kit to replace that as well. I have a hydro tranny already to swap it with the cable one. So I'm going to need a b series t-bracket? And I would have to look at the post mount but I'm not sure if it's a 2bolt though. And the wire harness that came with the motor is basically no good to me is what your saying since obd0? I have the obd1 dizzy already.
So the things I still need to buy then is the harness, alternator, t-bracket, timing belt, water pump, and gaskets?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Been looking for information for about a month about engine swap but can't find a

Originally Posted by dunklehass14
Thank you so much for replying. I am in process of of getting the b series shift linkage and a clutch kit to replace that as well. I have a hydro tranny already to swap it with the cable one. So I'm going to need a b series t-bracket? And I would have to look at the post mount but I'm not sure if it's a 2bolt though. And the wire harness that came with the motor is basically no good to me is what your saying since obd0? I have the obd1 dizzy already.
So the things I still need to buy then is the harness, alternator, t-bracket, timing belt, water pump, and gaskets?

If you have a Hydro tranny single cam Tranny mount fits and so does rear mount but you need the transmission bracket for the rear to be B series, engine harness for OBD0 will not work, if you don't have a single cam engine harness find one or go to nearest junkyard and try finding one that is not cut, if post mount is 3 bolt the DC ( 94-00) integra mount should work fine, and yeah you pretty much got it figured out while your there might as well do thermostat and gaskets, to avoid any oil leaks, and don't forget to have fun with it