Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

1991 Honda Civic hatchback with unknown engine size

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Honda Civic hatchback idle issues, surging

Greetings forum, I am Steve from Norwalk California. A friend of mine bought a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback which I will be taking a picture of and posting it, but first, the engine have been swapped and the car has an idle issue with surging and I am wondering if there's a way to determine the engine size as everything under the hood that has anything to do with information on the original engine has disappeared. I'm trying to help my friend and I was wondering if anyone knows where I should begin my diagnostic procedures. He also informed me that they had replaced the wiring harness acquired from the junkyard. When an engine is swapped, my question would be does the ECU need to be replaced? I'm looking at the O2 sensor that is on the exhaust manifold and it has four wires that appears to be spliced I checked online for a new oxygen sensor for 91 Honda Civic and there's only one wire sticking out of the oxygen sensor. Go figure. Is there any chance of making this car to function correctly? Please help. I will be forever grateful.

I apologize, forum. I received inaccurate information about this civic. So this is what I am working with. This 1991 civic hatchback apparently had a "bad" ECU. How they determined that I don't know but they picked up another ECU from the junkyard the entire wiring harness was also replaced to accommodate the "new, used" ECU. Surprisingly, it is flashing some trouble codes that I managed to get so I can begin the troubleshooting process. Flashes in ascending sequence 3, 5, 6, 10, 13 & 14.

Last edited by 19stevo91; 03-09-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Not getting any response