Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

08 Element, Gurgling Grinding Noise under dash when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Element, Gurgling Grinding Noise under dash when Braking

i have a 2008 element, i just purchased 2-3 weeks ago.replaced the front brakes on the first day. a couple weeks later every once in awhile when applying the brake i hear a gurgling/grinding sound, only when travelling at low speeds.
I was sure it was the brakes, but got the wife to drive and stop while i was outside the car, and could not hear the noise at all from outside the car. yet it is audible and sounds like it is coming from the front drivers tire while sitting inside the car. I even opened the hood and listened for it standing with in a few feet of the car and still could not hear it.

with this in mind i ruled out the rotors and started looking for other possibilities.
The sound comes on when you depress the brakes, is not affected by steering side to side, or how hard you press on the brake pedal, nor is it consistent it will do it a bunch of times in a row then stop and not do it for days. Also does not matter if it is in neutral or drive. i suppose i can try it with the vehicle off next.

Any ideas guys (ABS?? i know how usually sounds like a buzzer, but i my previous vehicle was a 2001 sienna)
Old 04-04-2015, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08 Element, Gurgling Grinding Noise under dash when Braking

Looks like I posted this in the wrong section, once I am no longer a trial user I will repost in the proper area, sorry for any inconvenience
Old 04-04-2015, 06:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You've only had the car for 2-3 weeks? So the problem wasn't there when you first test drove it?
Old 04-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It does not happen all the time, can go days and not show a symptom, so I am not sure if it was preexisting
Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by dhashigu
It does not happen all the time, can go days and not show a symptom, so I am not sure if it was preexisting
Maybe you should take the car in a safe parking lot and do some hard stop n' go with your car and see if the problem fixes itself. You can also just get under there to the suspension and brakes and make sure everything is tight and not loose. Other than that I hear Elements seems to have a problem with their brakes, so I would suggest you to go the Honda Element owners' forum (if there is any) and ask there.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot, I will try your suggestions then post in the honda element forum