Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z6 in 89 dx bogs and runs lean WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z6 in 89 dx bogs and runs lean WTF!

okay...this is gonna be long, so brace yourself. refer to summary at bottom if you are lazy.

the basics:
i have an 89 civic hatchback DX. its got about 290k miles on it, and it was burning oil pretty bad.
i purchased a complete d16z6 longblock back in february, and it was sitting in my garage till i found a long weekend to pull the old motor. about two weeks ago i experienced catastrophic engine failure, and was FORCED into doing the swap (the engine failure was really quite hilarious, but thats another thread in and of itself).

so we drove the car into the garage, pulled the old motor and dropped in the z6 with some difficulty, and bolted everything up.

parts i used in the swap:
z6 longblock
LS tb
custom gaskets (props to h-t member WrongWD)
IACV from a d15b8 (bolts up with one bolt)
virgin p28
jkobd obd0 to obd1 jumper harness
obd1 reverse switch
obd1 z6 engine harness
lots of patience

okay here is the tricky part: we used the obd1 Z6 engine harness instead of adding wires to the dx harness (i know this woulda been easier, but its done now, so cry about it). we converted the shock tower plugs to the obd0 clips, and switched the wires around so that everything would match up. performed an mpfi wiring swap on the dx car harness at the ecu (ran the crank position sensor wires and extra injector wires to the shock tower plugs where they were for the z6 harness). after messing with the injector grounds a bit, and re-wiring the O2 sensor straight to the ECU, we got it to run with no codes at all. idle is fairly consistent, but does bounce a bit. i couldnt be sure of how much because im still using the dx cluster (no tach ) we drove it around the block, and it seemed to run well enough.

HOWEVER, there are some big issues:
1)it bogs pretty badly at low rpms
2)its running SUPER hot. after about 10 seconds of running, the runners on my header will burn anything they touch. my fingertips are hating me for this one! runners 2 and 3 seem to be hotter than 1 and 4.
3)after running for a bit, smoke starts coming from and arond the intake manifold. this includes the IACV and from underneath the intake manifold. i cant be sure if its coming from one place down low, or just all over behind the block. the smoke is not particularly blue or black or white, just...smokey.
4)it seems to be misfiring some (not detonating)

some minor issues (not so important):
wiring for fan switch and reverse lights have not been figured out. anyone with insight on this let me know. the wires for them are on the drivers side showck tower, but which ones go where? there are a couple green, green/black wires and a yellow wire.

so here are my ideas:
its clearly got some issues somewhere, because it is both bogging and running super hot (probably running lean, or having severe cooling issues).
the smoke at the IM could be perhaps a coolant line hooked up wrong? or maybe the d15b8 iacv doesnt actually work with the z6 IM?
i retarded the timing all the way at the dizzy, to try and encourage it to run colder. now, when i turn it on, the idle sorta drops away and it dies.

i have tested all of the mpfi wiring, and all of the injectors are going to the correct place. the resistor wires are hooked up in a way that SHOULD work, and they seem to be working.
i thought we made a good seal at the intake manifold, with the correct gasket and gasket sealer.
i honestly am not sure what the issue is!
and remember, NO CODES!

summary:
z6 swap into 89 dx
mpfi conversion
custom obd1 conversion with z6 engine harness, p28.
runs, but way too hot.
bogs also.
smoke from IM, IACV, and underneath.

thanks for your assisstance!