Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's?

I was just wondering ,since the EF K series mounts arent out yet,if it would be possible or worth my time to modify the HAsport EG K series mounts to fit my car.Its more of a race car,so downtime and hood clearance isnt a problem.I know anythins possible,but would it just be easier to make custom mounts?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's? (JDMotive)

Honestly make your own at least then you will be able to use B-series drive shafts like me. If you use Hasport or Hybrid racing mounts you'll need custom shafts aswell. Just stick the motor in the middle and put the shafts in place when you make the mounts its pretty easy really.. Personally as another note make brackets to run stock munts like B18C side mounts thats all we did and they work mint..
Old 06-18-2004, 12:03 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's? (Hondog)

The more you talk about your setup, the more sick it sounds.

Seriously, you REALLY need to post some pics and full specs. I bet you would get mad props on here if you would post your setup.

Don't leave us hangin man.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's? (rochesterricer)

well here is a link to a profile on http://www.NZHONDAS.com
http://profiles.nzhondas.com/p...=1356
let me know if it works...

Modified by Hondog at 9:46 AM 6/18/2004
Old 06-18-2004, 12:20 AM
HT White Ops

So you're a farmer eh.

If it is a full drag car why didn't you just go with a spool? A diff using carbon clutch disks sounds kinda spendy.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's? (rochesterricer)

I'd rather slip the diff than snap and axle inside the box and have to buy a new one. We debated going to a spool and thought we would say with the LSD at this stage.. I think we will run a spool later in the peice maybe after we rebuild the motor..
Old 06-18-2004, 12:37 AM

thats what i was thinking of doing,but just wanted others opinions before hand.So I should mock it up with stock gsr axles?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 AM

yeah definately. It does work dont worry what people tell you, its not your problem if they couldnt do it. A K20A axle is almost the same length as alot of B-series ones if not exactly the same...
Old 06-18-2004, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering ,since the EF K series mounts arent out yet,if it would be possible or worth my time to modify the HAsport EG K series mounts to fit my car.Its more of a race car,so downtime and hood clearance isnt a problem.I know anythins possible,but would it just be easier to make custom mounts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.. if ur gonna modify someone else's mounts.. might as well make ur own.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:08 AM
HT White Ops

Could you see any dissadvantages to the way you did it. Maybe ground clearance issues?

I'm thinkin if neither Eric(K20EG) or brian g(Hasport) did it that way, there must at least be some minor issues.

Maybe it doesn't leave room for a turbo or complicated header. It does look kinda far back in the pictures.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:26 PM

The motor has about 5-10mm clearance on the bonnet.. so its prettty close to being in the right place, the factory DC5R exhaust missed clearing by around 10mm aswell from the Manual steering rack I'm using. I think K20EG and Brian G have done a good job making the mounts but I dont see why they couldnt make it to run stock shatfs, its not a forwards and backwards issue its a putting the motor in the middle of the engine bay issue..
Old 06-18-2004, 12:50 PM
HT White Ops

The only reason I made that comment was because the motor looked further back in the pictures.

It is probably just because it is a stripped out racecar and the engine bay is more empty than I am used to seeing in other K swaps I have seen.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:59 PM

I will see if I can find you a side shot then..
Old 06-18-2004, 01:03 PM
HT White Ops

Brian comes on here pretty often, so he will probably chime in sometime.

I don't expect to hear anything from Eric though. I haven't seen him post in a while, so I'm guessing he is crazy busy at his shop.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:09 PM

there should be A side pic of my engine bay in the other batch of pics..
DO you have an web address for Eric's shop I wouldnt mind getting some stuff of him..
Old 06-18-2004, 01:17 PM
HT White Ops

He does have a website, but it is just a redirect to K20a.org.

You can try emailing him at sales@K20EG.com or at the email in his profile. I think that one is K2oeg@aol.com.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly make your own at least then you will be able to use B-series drive shafts like me. </TD></TR></TABLE>
There's a little misinformation here. The axle that goes into the transmission, not the one that connects to the intermediate shaft is wrong. The B-series axle's inner joint is different than the K-series inner joint. The B-series joint is a little short and doesn't "snap" in and engage the differential properly. That doesn't mean that it won't work for awhile, but it's not correct. We discovered this problem when we started doing the 2001 up Civic K-swaps. Originally we reccomended B-series axles for that. As it turned out, they were different and it caused problems.

Originally we put the engine in the center using 2002 Si axles which are approximately the same lenght as 94 up Integra. We decided that ideally each axle should be 1/4 inch longer. After screwing around with some other issues we settled on placement about 1/4 inch to one side, which makes one axle about 1/2 inch longer than the ones we thought we were going to use. Since you have to make a custom axle for the side that goes into the tranny, why not make the ideal length too. That's what we did.

We used some B-series length axles (with correct inner joint) on our Integra that is in the July issue of Honda Tuning. It worked OK, but with the CV joint bearing running so close to the edge of the inner joint we felt longterm durability would suffer.

brian g
Old 06-18-2004, 02:27 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's? (brian g)

Thanks for clarifying Brian.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering ,since the EF K series mounts arent out yet,if it would be possible or worth my time to modify the HAsport EG K series mounts to fit my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you probably could, the only thing is, if that's what you want to do tell us when you order them and we'll sell you the shorter rear mount which isn't available with that kit. The EF rear crossmember it of different construction and our regular EK rear mount is too long. It may be best to IM me before you call so that I can educate the salesman as to what's happening.

brian g
Old 06-19-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Would it be possible to modify EG K mount kits for EF's? (brian g)

cool....ill do that if i decide to just modify the eg or ek K series mounts.Thanks!
Old 06-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the info Brian.. it was good to find out why you guys had done what you had, It had puzzled me but you cleared it all up....