Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Issues.. need a quick yay or naw

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Issues.. need a quick yay or naw

hey guys i am running a 96 accord and have a 96 h22 in it.

i was Lx so i went and got the accord EX engine harness to use, just cause it would be easier and avoid splicing and cutting to add vtec wires. Let me ask you this.

simple car system runs like this NO?

Engine >> engine harness>>to chassis harness>>> to ecu? right???

so if i went h22>>to Ex harness>>>to Lx chassis harness>>.to vtec ecu??

then the middle man.. the Lx chassiss harness is still missing vtec wiring?
that my problem? since i didnt run the wires straight to the ecu. the engine harness plugs to a non vtec chassis harness and i guess naturally the wires stop there dont they??? is this true???

I know stuff is there on the Lx cars but not just hooked up. would vtec wiring be in the chassis harness from the factory or no wires at all?

[Modified by KTeller8, 9:06 AM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiring Issues.. need a quick yay or naw (KTeller8)

I wish I could give you a deffinite ya nor naw but untill you get a soild answer I'd just compare the wires between the two harnesses. hopefully you could find charts on the net.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wiring Issues.. need a quick yay or naw (KTeller8)

I see where you are coming from..

Being you have an LX accord, you do not have VTEC wiring whatsoever. The engine harness is not wired for VTEC (because you don't have it originally) and the shock tower engine harness (that goes thru the firewall) also does not have it.

If you choose to get an EX harness, the only labor you will be saving yourself is wiring it from the VTEC oil pressure and spool solenoid to the Firewall....you will STILL need to wire the VTEC wires to the ECU (whether it be thru the firewall to the ECU, or around inside the passenger door to the ECU thru the dash).

It's all up to you. and...

so if i went h22>>to Ex harness>>>to Lx chassis harness>>.to vtec ecu??
This is correct. From the LX harness to the VTEC ecu, I do not believe they are pre-wired for VTEC.

If you choose to verify, look directly at the ECU pin-out plug in harness....and look to see if there is a wire at D6 (vtec oil pressure) and A4 (spool solenoid).

If those 2 wires are there, then the firewall/chassis harness is wired for VTEC already and the EX harness will go right in. However, if the wires are not there, the EX harness will still go right into the Chassis harness, but there will be no wires leading to the ECU for VTEC to function -- therefore you needing to wire it up to the ECU.

Hope that helps.