Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor?

Ive been searching the site for awhile now and have found threads where people decide to swap in a GSR motor and tell what they have planned for it in the future. What I dont get is why not start with the ITR motor instead? I know the GSR would be cheaper but if your gonna spend cash for mods anyways why not buy the ITR motor? Also isnt the ITR tranny better too?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor? (crx_0_o)

well they both do have vetach! bump!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor? (milkmanLCA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_0_o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive been searching the site for awhile now and have found threads where people decide to swap in a GSR motor and tell what they have planned for it in the future. What I dont get is why not start with the ITR motor instead? I know the GSR would be cheaper but if your gonna spend cash for mods anyways why not buy the ITR motor? Also isnt the ITR tranny better too?</TD></TR></TABLE>if you are going to mod its better to start with a gsr motor just for the reason thats its cheaper and has the same potential...the tranny is cool for na stuff because it has an oem lsd and short gears but i prefer gsr trannies for boosted applications
Old 09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor? (reactiondc2)

The advantages of the R motor over a GSR are: pistons and the higher CR that comes with them, IM, head, tranny. There are a few other things that I don't remember (oil squirters? lightened crank?), which can be important. However, if you're building the bottom end of the engine you'd be removing the R components anyway, so you would've wasted that extra money. You can get an ITR tranny for a fairly reasonable price these days, often with better gearing (ATS 4.9) or better diff (ATS, KAAZ, Quaife, etc.). What all of that means is that if you're doing more than bolt-ons, you'd save money with a GSR swap over an R swap.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor? (Stinkycheezmonky)

ok thanks for the info
Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why would you swap in the GSR motor instead of the ITR motor? (crx_0_o)

the difference in price is over a grand so spend that grand on the GSR and it will be pullin on that TYPEr