Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!!

I bought a GSR motor from a local shop.The only guarantee was a running guarantee.First of all a few peices were missing so I spent $200 right off the bat getting everything to fit properly.Then the oil pump is bad $400 in parts and labor which the shop that sold me did.Vtec hasnt engaged in 2.5 months(since I did the swap).The shop offered to tear my head off to see if they could figure out what was wrong.No more money so I did it myself with his recogmendation for what he thought was wrong.It doesnt fix it.I call him to give him an update he says that he has no other clue what it could possibly be.I guess my question is .......is he held responssible to fix it. At least 40+ hours of Diagnostic work have been done no one including the shop that sold me the motor knows whats wrong with it.Any suggestions.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (Deomonte21)

what shop was this again?
Old 11-11-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (KAMiN)

I dont wanna say just yet.Hes a real cool guy and I dont wanna damage his buissiness I just want whats right.I feel like I got sold a bunk motor and hes charging me to work on it.I mean there is NO!!!!! explanation why the vtec isnt working we took off the head blew air through all of the oil passages mechanically it should be working.When told him he sounded stummped.Should he be obligated to swap the head,motor,or free labor whatever it took to get the vtec working.Keep in mind including the swap I have spent almost $4300 at his shop
Old 11-11-2002, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't matter if he has good business or if you do not want to ruin his reputation, you are a customer and deserve a satisfying product.

Go to him and give him the burden.

He is responsible and needs to make sure you are satisfied.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (poison)

If he(the shop) had installed the motor I would say they are responsible...but in this case since you installed it on your own I would say you are going to have to take the responsibility...what if you installed something wrong...is that the shops fault...no!!...are you sure its not a wiring problem?...what makes you think its the motor?
Old 11-11-2002, 05:15 PM

welcome to the world of honda hybrids...
Old 11-11-2002, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (1fastVX)

well if it is the wiring and he did it himself, then it is his fault.

if it's a problem with a part of the motor and is not working under running it normally, then it's the shop's prob.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ECU are you running?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (madtownhonda)

its a GSR ecu with a P28 skunk2 chip.He installed the ECU and he also chipped the ECU.The only thing I did is bolt it in.The reason I know its mechanical and not electrical is because there is 0 oil pressure at the celinoid I pressure tested it twice.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You didn't buy the engine from me, but if you wish I might be able to help you if you like. If it is the "shop" I am thinking about, there is bad blood between Me (collectiveracing) and them so don't look for any recomendations there. If You are interested in some Help, pm me or check out my site for contact info.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (Ruckus138)

welcome to the world of honda hybrids...
LOL so true...
Old 11-12-2002, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a GSR ecu with a P28 skunk2 chip.He installed the ECU and he also chipped the ECU.The only thing I did is bolt it in.The reason I know its mechanical and not electrical is because there is 0 oil pressure at the celinoid I pressure tested it twice.
Hmmm, make sure that his "chipping" is accurate. Not ANYONE can chip an ecu.

But if there's no oil pressure at the VTEC solenoid, then why dont you try switching that out with a working and try from there?
Old 11-12-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (raene)

I actually have your buissiness card for collective racing Ive tried calling you a few times in the past for this problem but your a gard person to get ahold of.The oil pressure would have nothing to do with the celinoid I am testing the oil pressure from the drill plug on the front of the motor even if the celinoid was bad(which it isnt I tested it by running it straight to the battery)there would still be oil pressure behind the celinoid.
If you (collective racing)see this post e-mail me at BryceDFrits@aol.com.Id like to hear some sollutions you may have
Old 11-12-2002, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my vtec wasn;t egaugeing because i did;t have my knock scencor hooked up right and ihad a short in a wire to my oilpressure switch. i sujest rechecking all your connections and possably adding more oil. imean these are simple things but u can never do them enough
Old 11-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont wanna say just yet.Hes a real cool guy and I dont wanna damage his buissiness I just want whats right.I feel like I got sold a bunk motor and hes charging me to work on it.I mean there is NO!!!!! explanation why the vtec isnt working we took off the head blew air through all of the oil passages mechanically it should be working.When told him he sounded stummped.Should he be obligated to swap the head,motor,or free labor whatever it took to get the vtec working.Keep in mind including the swap I have spent almost $4300 at his shop
actually scott i dont think its them.
if i remember talking to this guy earlier, its not through dumbass. (you know who im talking about...)
Old 11-13-2002, 10:26 AM

Few things, check the pan. Sometimes vtec will not click if your pan is dented into the oil pickup. Also tear off the vtec sol. and clean the screen. If all else fails then the oil channels could be plugged up.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (SpooN Man)

Oh yea double check the ground also. it should run to the thermostat.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Who is RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!! (SpooN Man)

I know for a hundred percent fact its not anything electronic.When the oil pump was replaced last week it got full oil pressure at the celinoid for about 2 minutes then just like flipping a switch it went to 0 oil pressure which also tells me the oil passage isnt blocked.Its something mechanically causing there to be no oil pressure at the celinoid I checked the oil pressure with a guage it was 0.We noticed that there was an unussual ammount of oil at the cams so I tore out the cams and there was a drill prug missing on the top right corner of the head.So after researching we realized that had to be there.We put in a plug thinking we had found the problem put back on the head and.....nope still 0 oil pressure the only thing that fixed was the check oil light from flickering on and off at idle.