Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (B_Cruz)

I just ordered a motor from Honda Motors Online. I'll let you guys know how it is when I receive it.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (blackANESE)

I also just ordered a motor from HMO. Full details will be available when it gets here.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (Mr.Hatch)

http://www.a1jdmengines.com

They are in Toronto, so shipping in Canada is much cheaper for you peeps.

So far so good. The shop said mine was the first JDM motor to start up first try.

I have seen a motor from Hondamotorsonline and it was very complete, but not shipped nicely or very clean. They also jacked him of an LSD.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (KGAccord)

2 very bad experiences...first mine, ASAPmotors is a bunch of focking idiots that can't run a decent buisness and they specialize in making excusses so that everything is the customers fault. I recieved my engine and it had over $800 worth of broken **** on it. I called the guy at ASAP i talked to and he said oh well if you signed for it then the shipping company isn't responsible anymore and it wasn't like that when we shipped it out. WTF??!?! It wasn't SUPPOSED to be like that when I get the engine either. Anyway a LONG battle with those idiots got me nowhere and an even longer battle with the shipping company still led me nowhere. I ended up having to replace all the broken parts MYSELF and flaming every site I could find about how shitty ASAP was and my horror story seemed to be a small one in the book of shitty service from those ********.

ok, now for the 2nd bad place, team21motorsports. My friend was going to put a ZC in his 4th gen hatch Si, and ordered everything from some Nunzio guy. It came, looked fairly good just a few scratches here and there so it was a go. $400 later the engine is in and he goes for the first test drive. ALL the main bearings are spun, no oil pressure, the oil pump was an aftermarket one, and the oil pan had been off at least 2 times before. team23 did nothing about any of this, they said it passed a leakdown and pressure test, so it was fine (even tho those test wouldn't pick up spun bearings) and since it was the 3rd week he's had it his start up warranty wouldn't apply to this. He cussed and screamed and talked to the owner and nothing. He called like 2 weeks later and Nunzio was fired and the boss man was handling the problem. It's been like 5 months now and he has gotten NOTHING from Team23, no emails, no phone calls, the owner won't accept his calls anymore.

I hate shady buisness's especially when they STEAL my money!!!!

Old 06-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (Supahatch)

Anyone know NE body selling ZC small blocks?

Just wondering.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (Bryson)

I bought a 1st gen ZC from steve @ hondamotorsonline.com

The left main seal was shot. (and still is.... 1 qt oil / 3 weeks)
The crank pulley was cracked. (and replaced with the Si one)
The distributor had a bad ignitor. (which was replaced with the distrib from my parts car...)

I never took these issues up with Steve because (this being my first swap, and I fucked it up good before I even started troubleshooting) it took me ~4 months to get the car running... Even tho the faulty distributor had me chasing ghost wiring issues for days ... I'll probably call him at some point just to let him know more thuroughly. I should have replaced the main seal anyways, but I didnt know any better when I was installing the engine.

I sent Steve a pair of money orders, overnight on Friday. He received them Sunday. The engine was in my garage in OHIO WEDNESDAY!@!@!

I would definately buy engines from Steve again. He tries really hard and despite the problems I personally had, I have heard nothing except him making good on all deals that went sour, by either sending more parts or sending back cash.

I can't quite say that my engine arrived how I would have liked it to, but I'm not a pissed off customer.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (blundar)

IMPORT AUTO SALVAGE
clean, complete, no worries, professional cust. service...if you've been thinking about getting a swap for your honda and you're young, inexperienced w/ hybrids, and just want a smooth conversion, deal w/ these guys...dont hesitate to pay the extra 2-3 hunded dollars just because you saw someone selling it for so much less on the net...im telling you, the extra dollar is worth it!
of course i got my engine from them...its my second time ordering from them but i still didnt get a discount...
Old 06-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (B_Cruz)

Originally posted by B_Cruz
I think it is weird that shipping from North Carolina to Oakland, California is $200 cheaper than from LA, CA to the BAY.

HONDAMOTORSONLINE prices: $300 more than what the webpage says

HONDAMOTORSONLINE shipping prices:
i dont know about you but i had mine shipped here in Daly City and paid about 150 for shipping. i also got the motor for the listed price. my boy picked up the motor in So Cal and he said that its best if you go down to So Cal yourself cause you get to pick the motor you want. my other boy just ordered a jdm integ front from Steve.

HondaMotorsOnline
Old 06-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (MnC CRX)

aye B_Cruz, where you live and are you in any team?
Old 06-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (MnC CRX)

Honda Motors Online is the best!!

Well I just have to give praise to this company. They are the best, hands down, in customer service. Here's my story..
I purchased a full B16 swap from them with everything I needed to get it done. He even included some 90 Integ hubs, knuckes, and brakes, as long as I pay 50 more for extra shipping charges! Well the engine got to the shop were I was getting it done within that week. It left on Monday and got here on Friday. Well everything was going good, the engine came in looking very good. There was nothing broken, and everything that I ordered came in fine. Well the shop completed the swap and tried to turn it over with no success??? They checked the compression and it's very low. Low as in 30, 15,25, and 50. The shop calls me and tells me the bad news, and say's that the engine is no good. Well I call Steve and he assures me that they do a compression check on the engines, because he makes sure he only sells quality stuff. He say's that he is very surprised that the engine was bad because he has never had a bad engine before. (keep in mind that he only sells the best of the best). Well before I could say another word he quickly tells me that he's going to send me another longblock, and to not worry about it. He's going to send it on a 3 day shipping. Well at this point I'm extremely happy that not only is he willing to help, but he's doing it as quick as possible. The only problem I have now is that the shop I'm getting it done at is going to charge me another 500 to remove the bad engine and install the new one!!! Well I call Steve back and ask him if there's anything that he can do to help me out since it wans't me fault the engine's compression was bad. Well guess what, He's going to pay for the labor charge from the shop. I got the invoice that the shop gave me and he is going to reimburse me for the cost!! Like I said before, he has never had this happen and he is going out of his way to make sure I'm happy. Well all I have to say is that I'm 110% satisfied with his company. I didn't just order from him because I found him on the web. I compared the feed back I received from here, and choose him because he seemed to be the best. My decision was correct, he is the best. I'm just sharing my story with the fellow H-T members because I know how hard it is to trust someone you haven't even met. But like Steve said before he told me he was sending me another engine, "actions speak louder than words." That is soo true.

Old 06-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (REDBARON)

well, actions do speak louder than words, but if words are worth anything, i remember calling hondamotorsonline and asked a few technical questions (even after he knew i wasn't going to buy from him - shipping was out of range). He went and got his sheet and read off some specs and then thanked ME for my time; should have been the other way around.

The shops around here are full of jerks trying to jack up the prices, who are unknowledgable and unwilling and i can hardly understand their english. So if i lived in the US i go with the afore mentioned shop, by weighing what i've read here and my own calling around.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (daver)

I just got my motor from Steve and am very satisfied. I drove out there (from Arizona) to pick it up and he let me choose the one I wanted.

He also gave me brand a new shift linkage and hussled to get me the rest of the parts needed.

All in all I am satisfied with my decision to buy my motor from him.
Kudos to Steve and Honda Motors Online.

EDIT: I Just took off the head and it looks great. The pistons also have very little build up on them. I am very happy thus far, I'll let u guys know how it runs.

[Modified by blackANESE, 5:45 PM 6/23/2002]
Old 06-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (HondaCRX)

just want to say awesome post fellas...great feedback!! didn't read the whole thing, but looks like I'll be going with Hondamotorsonline or IAS!!!
Old 06-24-2002, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (DA-MAX)

i feel very happy now, im about to order from hondamotorsonline, i need a reliable engine for college, i hope i have as good a time as all of you.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (90civichbsi)

anyone have any info/feedback on importbuilders.com???

heres an example of their services:
http://importbuilders.com/crated_motors.htm
Old 06-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (DA-MAX)

I've been TRYING to order a USDM GSR swap from Import Auto Slavage. After finally getting ahold of larry jr after 2 e-mails and one voice mail he told me he had to look at the motor in the car since it just came in, he'll call me back in a hour. Never returned my call. Called that evening, left voice mail. No return. Called again next day left voice mail. No return. Called later and got ahold of Randy. He said he would have larry call me and if he didn't then he would call me personally. Randy nor Larry called. I left another voice mail and e-mail. No returns.
I know they are busy people but i'm in sales too and if someone had $3300 and needed a swap right away (which I made quite clear) I would at least return a call or e-mail and let them know what the status is.

I know they are one of if not the best engine providers around but based on my dealings with them I may buy from someone else if my business is not important to them
Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (nsxmatt)

Old 06-28-2002, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (HondaCRX)

Nippon Motors http://www.nippon-motors.com
Engine Bought - ZC DOHC
Came cleaned and compression tested ran great!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (DragonCTR69)

I paid $500 for a 88-89 ZC on my door step. Went through J.K. Japanese Engine Transmission.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (buster13)

can anyone give me some horror stories about hondamotorsonline.....I like their prices soo much..but should i dish out the extra few hundred dollars to get a motor at importautosalvage...since they are obviously the best..and their motors are definitely good shape...

Khoi
Old 07-23-2002, 10:59 AM

Dont go to PITCREW they suck dick and are a bunch of god damn cali surfer thieves and if they diont like it they can kiss my ***.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:20 PM
New User

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company?

im gettin mine from hondamotorsonline, ill let u know the outcome when it gets here.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (Eyewitness)

how much is a swap on average from importautosalvage?
Old 07-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (RiCeOnMaiSoK)

They are pretty pricey....umm...for a 97 b18c1...its going to be around 3600.....for a 99-2000 B16 it is for around the same price......But these guyz are just awesome i've heard.....they give you all that you need...their customer service is the best...they ship and package their motors cleanly and very professional...and i haven't heard nothing but good stuff on this board and other boards...Everyone says that when they ship you engines..they ship you everything that you will need for the swap...that means no errands to autoparts shops and etc.....i've also heard good stuff about jdmhondaparts and hondamotorsonline....they are cheaper...but also i've heard a few bad stories as well...like horrible customer service....when you get the engines in..you may encounter a few missing parts....some sensors maybe broken or missing...etc stuff like that....generally...missing or broken sensors is very common...and having a few missing parts is common..but with importautosalvage i haven't heard of any cases of that....so for the price you are paying...its really paying for the quality of the engine and the comfort that what you are getting is in great and superb condition....thats why im gonna dish out the few extra bills for importautosalvage...

Khoi

P.S not everyone can be wrong about importautosalvage...
Old 07-26-2002, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company? (Sohc Driver)

wow, after reading this whole thread, i called up IAS and left voicemail on Randy's voicemail, hopefully he returns the phone call.

has anyone ordered a jdm h22 from them and how much is their shipping usually??

Quick Reply: Where did you get your engine? Overall experience with company?