Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh

i have tried a pitman arm puller but the opening wasn't wide enough,i tried a tie rod seperator and the opening was too small as well

Old 09-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Lover

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (miksew)

i used a 2 1/2 lb sledge, then used a gear puller and it came loose. it was a pain in my *** BTW
Old 09-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (AK1200)

use a floor jack to put pressure on it so that it pulls on itself. while its under pressure, hit the side of it with a bfh and it should pop after 10 good hits or so.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (miksew)

Use the pit man arm puller. tighten it down just enough, then use a hammer and knock tha F^ck out of the lower control arm , near the tie rod area.
works for me EVERYTIME. dont worry about damaging the lower control arm. as long as your hitting the right spot lol !
Old 09-10-2003, 08:27 PM

do kinda like keebler65 said to do but raise your rotor up with a jack untill you can fit some thing inbetween the joint next to the boot (i used the middle part of a cro-bar) then make sure it is secure, lower the rotor back down then stomp on that bitch with both feet. it uses the way the joint works, against itself. trust me i have used this method many times and have found it way easier than any other ones. i also wouldnt recomend using a pitman because they have the tendancy to destroy the bolt because it is semi hollow. good luck man
Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 AM

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (gumbybum)

I went to pep boys and bought a $20 ball joint fork. Then I pounded away like on it to seperate the joint.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (gumbybum)

i have removed the fork and shocks/struts already,should they be on when using this method?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to the honda/acura dealer and ask to rent the "special honda tool".(made by MAC tools).
I didn't have to pay cause my friend works there and he told them it was for his car. But they should let you rent one for a day or two.
HTH
Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (4crx4me)

i went out and bout a 5 dollar ball joint separator, looks like a pitman arm puller but it is made to seperate ball joints, tighten it down and then couple taps with the hammer. works every time. I used to used the regular ball joint seperators but they would end up ripping the boot.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (SilverCivi

balljoint puller/pusher worked forme a few times then it didnt grab anymore on the LCA.

so I use a better method now, loosen the castle nut a quarter inch, jack the arm up, slip a crowbar inbetween the LCA and the knuckle. lowe the arm and stomp on the crowbar.
POP~ its out, nice!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (SilverCivi

u should have the idea huh?... u just gotta hit that sucker.. if ur trying and its not working, get a bigger hammer then let someone else take a whack at it. oh ya.. and get some too. tends to help out everything.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep hit the bastard till it goes out. prying or pulling dont help. well sometimes, but rarely for me.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 AM

heh, im lazy, i just use an air chisle with a ball joint splitter attachment, two minutes and im done on both sides .
Old 09-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hehehe.. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by white99gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heh, im lazy, i just use an air chisle with a ball joint splitter attachment, two minutes and im done on both sides .</TD></TR></TABLE> thats a good one. i shoulda try that way too...
Old 09-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by owen_the_soyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">balljoint puller/pusher worked forme a few times then it didnt grab anymore on the LCA.

so I use a better method now, loosen the castle nut a quarter inch, jack the arm up, slip a crowbar inbetween the LCA and the knuckle. lowe the arm and stomp on the crowbar.
POP~ its out, nice!</TD></TR></TABLE>
this is the best one so far, i do it the same way except i use a ball joint fork instead of the pry bar. i'll be trying the pry bar, next time i do it again!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pickle fork with grease on the ends so you dont tear the bushings and just wack it .. comes out all the time.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. What if you're a ding dong (like me) and damage the boot. Any tricks to replacing it (i.e. how do you deals with the clips)?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (typer_801)

If you mess up the boot ...try getting one same size from auto zone, etc.
Trust me using a big hammer is gravy, all the control arms have a flat spot... hit it good once or twice and it will drop out like butter.
Its like thats what they put those flat spots on there for, a ball joint splitter and the like almost always teat the boot or tear up the ball joint.
I have to replace the knuckles and 2 ball joints on my CX and that method worked awesome.
You would seriously have to be the hulk to bend one of those control arms with a 2lb hammer.
LATER
Old 09-17-2003, 04:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pickle fork with grease on the ends so you dont tear the bushings and just wack it .. comes out all the time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was waiting for someone to say this!!

Aluminum pickle fork works wonders!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (keebler65)

Use a SFH (Small Fuggin Hammer) and some elbow grease....lol
Old 09-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use a SFH (Small Fuggin Hammer) and some elbow grease....lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
IMHO I say get/use the honda special "ball-joint" tool. If you can't, then get one with a similar design. It's 2 pieces with a hinged fulcrum, and big screw attached to the opposite end, that acts on the fulcrum to spread the B/J apart without damaging the boots or the C/A or tie-rods or the threads on the studs. Pickle Forks
HTH.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My ex-girlfriend used a curb. Worked great!

Old 09-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (4crx4me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4crx4me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
IMHO I say get/use the honda special "ball-joint" tool. If you can't, then get one with a similar design. It's 2 pieces with a hinged fulcrum, and big screw attached to the opposite end, that acts on the fulcrum to spread the B/J apart without damaging the boots or the C/A or tie-rods or the threads on the studs. Pickle Forks
HTH.</TD></TR></TABLE>

c'mon... you don't need to spend the bling on the honda tool, a BFH will seriously do the job in under 60 seconds... prolly just need some practice...
Old 09-19-2003, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know it says "besides a bfh" so i am going to go with a regular hammer. i do this every day at work. couple good whacks on the arm and it pops that conical seal that the ball joint slips into. oh its such a beautiful thing when it pops.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

c'mon... you don't need to spend the bling on the honda tool, a BFH will seriously do the job in under 60 seconds... prolly just need some practice... </TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't NEED to buy the "Honda" tool. Borrow it or buy a knock-off.
!'ve seen the knock-offs for the same price as pickle forks.
$25-$45.00.

Quick Reply: what tool did you use to seperate the ball joint from the control arm? besides a bfh