Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen?

I was wondering what would they do if you bought an engine from a company 2 years ago and now its smog time, and you find out that the company you bought the motor from sold you a stolen motor? But you have the receipt showing that you paid alot of money for it, and that company is no longer in business???

What would happen to you?
Old 04-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (redman223)

they could impound the car
(brain not working)

[Modified by KAMiN, 12:57 AM 4/24/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 11:35 PM

Usually, they impound your car...Fine you, etc. I'm not sure about your exact circumstances...But this asswad that lives by me put a hot B18C in his car a few years ago and got nabbed. They took his car faster than Carl Lewis at a track meet...
Old 04-24-2002, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (ThunderLipps)

But what if you didnt know and you have a receipt showing you paid like 3k for the motor and everything? From a supposedly reputable shop that is no longer in business?
Old 04-24-2002, 06:29 AM

Do you think the person the motor was stolen from would care if you had a reciept?

[Modified by Mad_hatter, 3:45 PM 4/24/2002]
Old 04-24-2002, 06:36 AM

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (Mad_hatter)

Do you think the person the motor was stolen from would care you if you a reciept?

werd, I think yer SOL. Try to go after the company if you can, but otherwise just hope you don't get bagged for receiving stolen property.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (KGAccord)

Well it was called ATOMIC PERFORMANCE, and they are no longer in business, they were in the old building where IMPORT BUILDERS is right now. I have never heard of them selling stolen motors, and it seems highly unlikely, but they ripped me off 300 for a clutch and after that I'm kinda skeptical about them...

Anyone ever dealt with Atomic before? They were in Fullerton CA.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:47 AM

Run a check on your engine yourself to find out if it is stolen goods
Old 04-24-2002, 08:09 AM
New User

Do some checking around, Cause awhile back i when atomic went out of business i had heard they opened up in hawaii. I dont know all the truth to this but it is worth a shot so you stay out of trouble.

Good luck
Old 04-24-2002, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (idrivered)

damn that sux for you. you hsould have bought from a reputable place
Old 04-24-2002, 09:57 AM
New User

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (JDM Dasilva)

How do you check to see if ur motor is not stolen?

-ROd
Old 04-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (RK)

How do you know if a place is reputable or not???

I NEVER SAID MY MOTOR WAS STOLEN!!!!!!! I just like to hope for the best, but expect the worst, ya know?

And ALOT of people were going on and on a long time ago about Atomic this and Atomic that, so it sounded good. But they fucked me 300 for the clutch and I'm not sure yet about the tranny.

How can I check myself to find out if its hot or not?
Old 04-24-2002, 11:42 AM
New User

I was always under the impression that you cannot check urself. Either you go to the ref or chp or something like that....if it turns out to be hot...there goes ur car.

-rod
Old 04-24-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you mean THE Atomic Performance as in Witch Head? Dr. Charles Madrid? Interesting, I had not heard that he MIGHT be bogus.

What is it with performance shops and being bogus. There are good shops, but man the crooked ones really stand out.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (Hammer)

some of the guys that used to run Atomic are the same guys that opened up importbuilders
Old 04-24-2002, 12:33 PM
New User

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (Slow_ass_4dr)

I doubt Atomic sold you a stolen motor. That'd be insane if a shop would take that risk.

some of the guys that used to run Atomic are the same guys that opened up importbuilders
Jeff and everyone else at ImportBuilders are great guys. I hope ur not implying that they're shady. Actually, Jeff's shady in StreetFighter. He's hella cheap!!! j/k jeff

-rod
Old 04-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen?

I share the same fear...
Old 04-24-2002, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (idrivered)

The Atomic in Hawaii are totally different owners and have no connection other than having the same name and logo. They called themselves "sister shops" or sumthing like that... but they opened up almost the same time.. the hawaii opened up about 2 yr befor the Fullerton one closed.

Best way to be sure on your motor is to take the serial numbers to the DMV and check. Dont say that its in your car. and if it stolen, then pull that sucker out and replace it.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:44 PM

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (exospeedAMcrx)

I've always heard great stuff about Atomic, and Charles Madrid, met him once in ATL and called and harrassed him many time about a swap we were doing, very very helpful
Old 04-24-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt Atomic sold you a stolen motor. That'd be insane if a shop would take that risk.

Jeff and everyone else at ImportBuilders are great guys. I hope ur not implying that they're shady. Actually, Jeff's shady in StreetFighter. He's hella cheap!!! j/k jeff

-rod

no....I've talked to Jeff and he's a great guy...I just posted that because he reffered to it like he didn't know atomic and IB are the same guys
Old 04-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (Slow_ass_4dr)

no....I've talked to Jeff and he's a great guy...I just posted that because he reffered to it like he didn't know atomic and IB are the same guys
i thought Jeff is the sole proprietor of IB and is in no way affiliated with the atomic performance guys, especially charles.

as for checking to see if your engine is stolen, call the CHP or the DMV to have them run the serial number on the block. i recommend the two because i had this done but, i'm just not sure which one i called to have it checked out.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:51 PM
ImportReview

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen?

First of all..

coming on here and implying motors are stolen and naming shops is not very welcome.

Every single motor that comes from IB comes straight from the Junk yard. You can't be more legit than that. And I am not affiliated with Atomic.

Just to help you out, if you get your motor anywhere EXCEPT from a junkyard, and then say, 2 years later that car is stolen, even though you got a motor legally, and legit, its going to come up stolen. Then you call the cops and show them the reciept and they make the motor free and clear.

Thats why its VERY important to get them from a junkyard from a totalled car...because that car is not ever going to be registered again.

Please, don't imply Atomic were thieves, because they never sold stolen motors. And selling stolen motors has to be the stupidest thing a shop can do.

How dumb can a shop be? IB is the most legit establishment you can design...

Thanks for reading.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2002, 07:46 PM

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (ImportReview)

First of all..

coming on here and implying motors are stolen and naming shops is not very welcome.

Every single motor that comes from IB comes straight from the Junk yard. You can't be more legit than that. And I am not affiliated with Atomic.

Just to help you out, if you get your motor anywhere EXCEPT from a junkyard, and then say, 2 years later that car is stolen, even though you got a motor legally, and legit, its going to come up stolen. Then you call the cops and show them the reciept and they make the motor free and clear.

Thats why its VERY important to get them from a junkyard from a totalled car...because that car is not ever going to be registered again.

Please, don't imply Atomic were thieves, because they never sold stolen motors. And selling stolen motors has to be the stupidest thing a shop can do.

How dumb can a shop be? IB is the most legit establishment you can design...

Thanks for reading.

Jeff

Old 04-25-2002, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if the ref finds out your motor is stolen? (ImportReview)

I never said you guys were theives, I was just afraid and am not sure and am looking for answers, I've talked to you guys (importbuilders) before, and since people seem to know you better, they might remember atomic performance.

I tried contacting them, but they are nowhere to be found. I thought it was still there, but when I found out they shut down or whatever, that pissed me off, especially since I never got my clutch that I paid for....now you tell me that I shouldn't be concerned???????? If you get ripped off from somewhere, no matter how good they "seem" and you never get the problem solved, of course you are gonna assume the worst.!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plus I thought atomic did an excellent job on the motor swap, thats why I figured that it was probably just a mistake on their part, and they might correct it if I told them, I just got that paranoia right now I guess.

Either way, I would like to be 100% certain that my motor is legit before I goto the Ref.