Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need for B18 in my Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need for B18 in my Accord?

Ok, I have an 88 Accord LXi and I found this wrecked integra for dirt cheap and I want to put the B18 into my accord. I have a shop and the motor. I know I will need motor mounts, but what else will I need to buy that won't come with the car?
Here's a couple pics of the car

Old 06-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (kicker1_solo)

waste of time....IMHO
Old 06-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (95cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">waste of time....IMHO </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (92b16vx)

i agree.. just go and get a dirt cheap hatch and put that in it..
Old 06-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (sohc_vtec)

Why do I want a civic hatch? So I can be like EVERYBODY else in the whole world. I already have a civic anyways, I want this in my accord now. Thanx for the help though
Old 06-10-2003, 10:06 AM

The B18A makes only 130 hp so it probaly wouldn't be worth your while. Hmmm I wonder about the H series in that chassis? It would be a beast.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (AllMotorDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllMotorDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The B18A makes only 130 hp so it probaly wouldn't be worth your while. Hmmm I wonder about the H series in that chassis? It would be a beast.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yep..
Old 06-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (AllMotorDC2)

That's a 10 hp gain from what my car puts out, and that motor has much more potential than my motor. They don't make motor mount kits for the H series motors for my car, so that's out of the question.
Now does anyone actually have some useful info for me, or just more useless opinions that don't do me any good?
Old 06-13-2003, 12:57 PM

I have seen a cord with H22....do that the B is bunk for your TANK
Old 06-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kicker1_solo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's a 10 hp gain from what my car puts out, and that motor has much more potential than my motor. They don't make motor mount kits for the H series motors for my car, so that's out of the question.
Now does anyone actually have some useful info for me, or just more useless opinions that don't do me any good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

H-T member "tinkerbell" put a B16A in an older Prelude which comes with an engine much like the one in your Accord except for his was probably Carbed to begin with.

IM him and see what kind of **** he went though and just how he had to have custom-fabbed mounts to get it to work.

As far as your stock 2.0L LXi engine goes, it has more potential than you might think. 10hp isn't **** to have to make up against that B18A.

From the looks of those pics I might be worried about that B18A to begin with. Look at how it's sitting - are you sure you'd want to try and go through the trouble of fabbing up mounts and going through the worst type of wiring hell only to have a fucked up engine?

As far as trying to be different it will cost you a shitload and in the end I doubt you'll like the results from going to a smaller engine with only 10 more hp if even that after considering the condition of that B18A and if you can even get it running right.

There's a reason that "everybody has a Civic" and that's because it's cheap and easy as hell to do any B or even H swap. I'm not telling you to buy one at all, but I am telling you that a B18A swap into your LXi just might not be the best idea.

I love the 1986-1989 Accord LXi. It has one of the best Honda engines ever and they pull pretty damn good if they are running right. You break a T-Belt on it and you will never bend valves. The waterpump and T-Belt are totally separate from each other unlike any B Series engine.

I'd look into rebuilding the 2.0L with higher CR pistons and also try locating a hotter cam. I'm positive that there are makers of cams for your car because the Accord and Lude share that same engine and you'd be surprised at the people who ran those motors in race cars such as oval track, etc.

Aso that 2.0L is an iron block which is virtually indestructable. Ever thought about boost? Boost on that motor with a freshened-up bottom end with forged pistons and rods would be the super sleeper for sure.

I am not trying to talk **** on you for wanting to do something different, but seriously I just don't think you will be impressed at all with the B18A in that Accord. It might even be SLOWER afterwards.

Look at the cost vs. the actual performance that you'll get from it. The amount of money you will spend to get that stock, miled-up B18A would surpass a full bad-*** engine build on your 2.0L.
Just a few thoughts from a loyal Honda lover, whether it is a 12-valve 2.0L or a 16-valve B or H series engine.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (B18C5-EH2)

^^
Tom said it all
Old 06-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do I need for B18 in my Accord? (sleeperciv)

kicker1_solo........you should do it!! or just turbo the motor thats allready in your car. cause if im not mistakin...all your internals are good and the block is all iron. have fun. peace
Old 06-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have very good points there. My cousin, a certified mechanic, went and checked out the motor and he said that everything looks fine, just the mounts are fucked on it. And I found out that the car is a 92, which means that it has 140 hp stock, that's 18 more than I have stock.

I agree with you about my 2.0 being a great motor, it has 250,000+ miles and I still smoke civics with the basic i/h/e setup. The car is surprisingly strong, I love it. I already bought the B18a, motor and tranny for $200. I couldn't pass that up, even if I don't put it in my car, I could probably get what I paid for it if not more.

I have looked into performance parts for my accord, but there just isn't many. There is cams and a few other things. I'm on http://www.3geez.com, which is all about the 86-89 accord and they have said that it would be great to put the B18 into my accord and they've ligned me out with what I'll need and everything, I just came here to get a second opinion to make sure they didn't forget anything. I've been thinking twice about this lately though and I think I might take up your idea and build my sohc, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanx for all the help.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Former Moderator

Well if you're determined to do it you will run into a few extra problems since you have a 1992 B18A.

The 1992 B18A uses the OBD1 style ECU and plugs on the engine harness. What this means is that you will not be able to use either the ECU of distributor, or injectors that come on that motor.

You also probably will have to try and make your Accord's engine harness work. I'm not sure how this will work, or if it will even work, but since the B18A is OBD1 you would have to do a shitload or rewiring, hacking, etc. in order to run the OBD1 engine harness and dizzy, injectors, etc.

If you can get the Accord's engine harness to work, the next problem arises:

You will need to locate both a 1990-1991 Integra ECU and distributor.

This will only add to the cost. Expect to pay at least $75.00 for each. That's another $130.00 added to your $200.00.

In terms of money $330.00 isn't bad at all, but the unseen costs might make the project not worth it. The amount of work envolved could cost a lot. The mounts will no doubt be custom, and I don't know if I would trust someone to try and fab those up because shift linkage and most importantly, axle alignment are things that Joe Blow welder might not account for.

For the guys on that other website suggesting the B18A, do any of them have that engine in their Accord? Just curious. The B18A is a good engine, but I honestly cannot see it way outperforming your stock 2.0L.

If I were you I'd sell that full B18A swap to someone with a Civic. You could probably fetch $800.00 or so for it, which could help you get an engine building project underway.

The more I think about it the more I think a nice turbo set-up with 8si or so would be really nice.

I'm curious as to what the R/S ratio is on those 2.0L motors though...wonder if it is even boost friendly?
Old 06-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to back up what B18C5-EH2 said, my former mechanic had a 1st gen crx and he fabricated mounts and put in a 88 LXi 2.0L and went 11.7 all motor running a 91 LS ECU,web cam,custom intake,custom header,big *** exhaust system, injectors........alot of small **** and major tuning. his 1st gen rex weighed 1400 lbs empty 1600 even with him in it.

Now it's turbocharged, it was runnning 9 psi on the stock bottomend and blew several times. Then he went custom 8.8:1 forged pistons and rods. From there the head started lifting and he's gone through 3 trannies. He made everything put the pistons and the turbo. He made the exhuast manifold and piping himself. He has his own shop so thats why he keeps this engine and works on it so cheaply.
The point is your engine does have potnetial. His engine in your car would probably put you in the 13's, be it high,mid , or low. Your 3rd gen Accord weighs about as much as a GS-R, so a B18A in it is not a bad idea either.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlownB18BHB)

I did a b18c swap into a 1989 Accord LXi, for a friend, it was pretty straight forward. Just PM is you have any questions. The car runs good and its fast.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (B18c5Kevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c5Kevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did a b18c swap into a 1989 Accord LXi, for a friend, it was pretty straight forward. Just PM is you have any questions. The car runs good and its fast. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey I'm curious about a few things - can you answer these Q's I have?

1. What ECU did you use?

2. What engine harness did you guys run?

3. What tranny did you use, and how did you get the clutch to actuate?

4. What axles did you use?

5. What intermediate shaft did you run?

6. How did you get the secondary butterflies to work?

7. How many mounts does the car now utilize?

Since you were being helpful to the guy by offering help in the IMs, could you please help the rest of us in this topic by answering those questions? Since you just did the swap it should all still be fresh in your mind.

Thanks bro!

Old 06-15-2003, 10:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As far as trying to be different it will cost you a shitload and in the end I doubt you'll like the results from going to a smaller engine with only 10 more hp if even that after considering the condition of that B18A and if you can even get it running right.

I love the 1986-1989 Accord LXi. It has one of the best Honda engines ever and they pull pretty damn good if they are running right. You break a T-Belt on it and you will never bend valves. The waterpump and T-Belt are totally separate from each other unlike any B Series engine.

I'd look into rebuilding the 2.0L with higher CR pistons and also try locating a hotter cam. I'm positive that there are makers of cams for your car because the Accord and Lude share that same engine and you'd be surprised at the people who ran those motors in race cars such as oval track, etc.

Aso that 2.0L is an iron block which is virtually indestructable. Ever thought about boost? Boost on that motor with a freshened-up bottom end with forged pistons and rods would be the super sleeper for sure.

I am not trying to talk **** on you for wanting to do something different, but seriously I just don't think you will be impressed at all with the B18A in that Accord. It might even be SLOWER afterwards.

Look at the cost vs. the actual performance that you'll get from it. The amount of money you will spend to get that stock, miled-up B18A would surpass a full bad-*** engine build on your 2.0L.
Just a few thoughts from a loyal Honda lover, whether it is a 12-valve 2.0L or a 16-valve B or H series engine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try searching for 85-87 prelude si parts for your engine. I am confidant that they are both they are both a20a3's or at least both a20XX's (I believe the prelude is listed with higher factory hp?).

Also, the port spacing and port size on a20's is identical to the spacing and size on b-series. With a little drilling you might be able to use a b-series header or intake manifold (power gains may not follow though).

If you are looking for some high end NA power you could try adapting the 1.8 liter carbs to the a20 (plus this would reduce some of the thousands of emissions tubes and wires under the hood). If you do stay with PGMFI you could try something creative with the ecu, I remember seeing a 2nd generation accord with a 1227749 GM ECM.

Good luck