Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vtec no workie for me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 12:19 PM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec no workie for me!!!

So I unplugged the solenoid on my b20vtec for a some break-in driving, and upon plugging it back in it won't switch over to hi-cam(vtec lobe) now. I have 60~ psi of oil pressure and plenty of oil. Why? I've pulled the battery cables as well.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec no workie for me!!! (jg)

are you getting a CEL?
Old 06-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vtec no workie for me!!! (Boss Hogg)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=164863

Ok, I have noticed ALOT of people recently asking about why their vtec isn't working. I'm just going to do some of the basic steps in checking to see why the **** vtec isn't working .
1) Oil level, its gotta be FULL. I'm talking at the upper mark on the dipstick.
2) Solenoid, Ok this is a 2 parter. A) take a wire (any wire) disconnect the grey plug on the vtec solenoid and touch the wire to the pos. battery terminal and the solenoid side of the grey 1 pin connector. there should be an audible click from the solenoid. B) If A checks out, remove the solenoid and clean the filter screen. (self explanatory)

3) Speed, the car must be going over 10 mph so the spedo must be working. that means the VSS has to be working. vtec is temperamental isn't it?

4) more oil, check the oil pan. if its dented POUND IT OUT!. this is why mine wasn't working. the pan was dented in far enough to hit the oil pickup for the pump to cause low pressure situation in the head, no pressure no vtec.

5) ECU Swap out to another ECU that you KNOW vtec works on.

6) Car must be at I belive its 80 degrees or higher so let car get to a normal operating temprature.

7) If none of the above work, you might want to pull the solenoid off the head, remove the solenoid filter and verify the piston moves freely.

Thats a basic troubleshoot for it. if i missed anything or got anything wrong just reply and ill change the info.
If you go through all this and it still doesn't work its oil pressure (the pump) or wiring related. so check all the wires for vtec.
Thats it i hope it helps some people.
Joe

[Modified by KAMiN, 6:13 PM 6/25/2002]
Old 06-25-2002, 05:22 PM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec no workie for me!!! (Boss Hogg)

no cel. I haven't tuned the car at all yet(breaking in after re-sleeving), and the cams have a less difference between hi and low lobes(proprietary(?!) Comp cams). Maybe I just can't feel it, but I thought i'd be able to hear it or feel it or something. I'll clean the solenoid/filter, and i'm also going to wire a small light bulb to the soleniod and see if that will tell me if it's working- I know-DORK!, and no I won't leave it there...
Thanks guys,
Jeff
Old 06-25-2002, 06:12 PM
New User

do you have a VAFC? u can check if its working with that if u can t feel anything
Old 06-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no cel. I haven't tuned the car at all yet(breaking in after re-sleeving), and the cams have a less difference between hi and low lobes(proprietary(?!) Comp cams). Maybe I just can't feel it, but I thought i'd be able to hear it or feel it or something. I'll clean the solenoid/filter, and i'm also going to wire a small light bulb to the soleniod and see if that will tell me if it's working- I know-DORK!, and no I won't leave it there...
Thanks guys,
Jeff
i wouldnt bother with the light bulb
just do the wire from the battery to the solenoid.
the light isnt gonna tell you much
if the light goes on but you dont feel it, then what? solenoid bad? your gonna need to check it with the wire anyway
good luck

and the light will test if the ecu is sending the signal to the solenoid to open it.