Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2B swap intermittent Vtec issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H2B swap intermittent Vtec issues

Hello all,

So I'm building (well built and pretty much done) an EG H2B for the 1/4 mile and I am hung up on one last little issue.

It is a H22A with the QSD kit and B16 tranny. I'm running the HA Motorsports P72 and some company modified the factory D-Series harness for the swap (can't remember company name at the moment).

Vtec pressure switch wire from the ECU is jumped to the Vtec wire like HA Motorsports suggested. Since that trick, the CEL for Vtec Pressure Switch went away and has stayed off.

So I was on the dyno and the tuner said Vtec wasnt engaging. We wired the battery to the solenoid and it clicked fine. We then did two pulls while I manually sent power from the battery to the Vtec solenoid mid pull, still no Vtec.

I pulled the Vtec solenoid off and cleaned the screen. Still nothing. Then I noticed that even with no CEL's the wire to the oil pressure switch/sender was ripped off the sensor. I replaced that and still nothing.

So last night I found out that a dented oil pan lowers oil pressure. Mine was REALLY dented so I ripped it out and dented it back out. While under there I realized the oil pickup tube was also dented in from the oil pan being so dented that it hit it. Cleaned the screen, bent everything back out, slapped it back together aaaaand nothing...

So here I am, with no CEL's (no codes either I checked), a working VSS, unknown oil pressure but everything seems right, a Vtec solenoid that engages just fine, new-ish distributor, working tach, engine temp shows operating temp when driving, jumped Vtec oil pressure switch, working TPS as far as I know (no codes or CEL), knock sensor is plugged in, IAT sensor is plugged in, high enough RPMs and throttle percentage when trying, and I STILL cannot get Vtec to engage.

Oh and a side note, the tuner said the computer was 100% for sure sending the Vtec signal at 4500 RPMs.

Any other ideas?! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by justinwazner; 08-04-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B swap intermittent Vtec issues

This was the oil pickup 0_o

Previous owner OR the shipping company must have slammed the crap out of the pan.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a build or stock engine?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec
Is this a build or stock engine?
Stock internals.

Only mods are I/H/E, balance shaft delete, clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, etc.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

At this point I would be checking oil pressure, and I believe there is a port on the head that will enable you to check oil pressure when VTEC should be engaged as well.

Hopefully nothing got plugged up from debris in shipping, or when the b/s delete was done.

If the ecu is sending signal out to the solenoid, have you checked the wiring from the ecu to the solenoid, and verified continuity and /or the signal reaching the solenoid?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
At this point I would be checking oil pressure, and I believe there is a port on the head that will enable you to check oil pressure when VTEC should be engaged as well.

Hopefully nothing got plugged up from debris in shipping, or when the b/s delete was done.

If the ecu is sending signal out to the solenoid, have you checked the wiring from the ecu to the solenoid, and verified continuity and /or the signal reaching the solenoid?
I ordered an oil pressure gauge and sandwich plate today to get an idea of oil pressure in the engine vs right next to the Vtec solenoid. I have heard I should double check just before and just after the Vtec solenoid though, as there are ports into the block on either side that are just plugged from the factory. I will verify pressure asap.

I hope its not something clogged. Not even sure how to find/fix that

I have not checked that, but we did hard wire it to the battery while making dyno pulls, so it is not engaging even with the electrical signal/proper rpms/throttle position/engine temp etc.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Oil pressure is low 20's at idle when warmed up and in the 80's while driving in upper rpms. This is at the back of the block via an oil filter sandwich plate.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a port on the head specifically designed to check for oil pressure going to the vtec pressure switch.

There are many times I see people report the solenoid tests fine when applied battery power but after replacing it vtec works again.

Did you clean inside the solenoid ?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
There's a port on the head specifically designed to check for oil pressure going to the vtec pressure switch.

There are many times I see people report the solenoid tests fine when applied battery power but after replacing it vtec works again.

Did you clean inside the solenoid ?
Yeah I can check that port for oil pressure too.

I cleaned the solenoid out, not that it was very dirty at all but still...
Old 08-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of curiosity, I just remembered the balance shaft plate thats on there is not an actual delete, but rather the Evolution block off plate that removes the pulley and belt and simply blocks off the hole.

Does anyone know if that non full delete could be messing with oil pressure at all? I know the KS Tuned ones require removeal of the shaft itself and plugging oil galleys which increases oil pressure. Im wondering if this half *** one I have could have an opposite affect.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its a late reply but I HATE unanswered threads so here it is:

Dented oil pan, dented oil pickup and wrong amount of oil seemed to do it. I replaced both parts and started with an exact amount of fresh oil for the motor and it works now.

Dyno tuned it right after by Scotty at 198/155. Ill be at the strip this Saturday for my first go at a 1/4.