Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibrations OOOOHHH vibrations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default vibrations OOOOHHH vibrations...

THIS IS MY CURRENT PROGRESS
Attached Files
File Type: doc
car problem.doc (27.0 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by builthatch; 03-13-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: vibrations OOOOHHH vibrations... (builthatch)

could be the drivers axel, wheels out of balance, or maybe your mounts are bad. Could be a couple other things I guess, but check those first.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: vibrations OOOOHHH vibrations... (smileycvc)

mounts are good, i just hope its not halfshaft. i guess halfshaft bearing could be a prob, ill be able to tell once i swap the driver's side axle

anyone else have this ever?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 PM
MiG-21 superfan

anyone else have this?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
MiG-21 superfan

i went to change the axle and i can't find my axle socket since i did it last...i think i left it at my friends shop.

so i go under and look at the dside axle connection to the halfshaft and its got alot of up and down play (the axle). it has in and out too, which is normal i'm sure, but it has up and down too...if i pull it out a bit, it goes up and down ALOT, if i push hard into the halfshaft, it wiggles up and down still, but not as bad.

the halfshaft and bearing in the bracket are stationary and seem solid.

this sounds like it could be my issue! now if i could just get even one of my friends to come through for me with the right sized socket ugh
Old 05-09-2007, 04:21 PM

upgrade your engine mounts bro! i purchased the Innovative mounts from tom at camp1320.com. they are awesome. i have 0 vibration. i purchased the mounts with 75a black inserts. i have the same year/make car as you (only diff is i have a coupe).

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1607869&page=1
Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: vibrations OOOOHHH vibrations... (erich73)

well guys i changed the driver's side axle with another reman and it's greatly improved, however not TOTALLY gone. i still feel it a bit upon acceleration but no while turning, so things are looking up!

the one i removed had noone home on the inner hub of the axle, it was like a rubber band was holding it together. The one i put in there was better but still seemed a flimsy on the inner cv, so i am having steve at hmotors send me a known good non-reman to replace this with....

i think that the d-side axle is def my problem as it improved with a change....

Modified by builthatch at 4:30 PM 5/31/2007
Old 05-13-2007, 01:13 PM
MiG-21 superfan

ok i never realized how flimsy the inner portion is supposed to be, however when i was moving my sohc stuff i noticed the inner cv of those axles were similarly "free", tho i think the one i removed was a little outrageous

at any rate, i raised the car .5" and it virtually eliminated all vibrations! i think it's something to do with the axle angles and the fact that i've had my car relatively low for quite some time, so much so that it didn't register that the car was WAY low.

so i think this solved 'er!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i never realized how flimsy the inner portion is supposed to be, however when i was moving my sohc stuff i noticed the inner cv of those axles were similarly "free", tho i think the one i removed was a little outrageous

at any rate, i raised the car .5" and it virtually eliminated all vibrations! i think it's something to do with the axle angles and the fact that i've had my car relatively low for quite some time, so much so that it didn't register that the car was WAY low.

so i think this solved 'er!</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i don't understand why i have to have my car so high as guys with 99-00 si's dont have to do this.

i really wonder if the problem is the axle choice. it's gotta be since raising it helps the problem. i have a 97 cx hatch and am using 97 GSR non-abs passenger side and 97 GSR abs driver side because they dont have them w/o abs rings it seems. Halfshaft is 97 GSR.

i am wondering if i should just get driveshaft shop stage 0 to eliminate the axle question...

Modified by builthatch at 11:03 AM 5/17/2007
Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
MiG-21 superfan

i got brand new 99-00 si axles which did prove to be shorter than the various remans i had, however, it did not solve the problem completely. Still, under light to moderate acceleration, at lower RPM (2-4k), i get a vibration/ shudder.

I've checked and rechecked everything. the mounts, my ball joints seem ok, i have an engine damper installed, the axles as mentioned are new, the halfshaft bearing and halfshaft seem to be just peachy...

my alignment is now off and i do need new tires, but i think that these items would not affect it JUST under acceleration, but all the time.

what the heck?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same problem with my h22.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:47 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (rpared01)

the problem is that the h-series swaps are known for that, whereas the b's are not, that is what is so frustrating.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (builthatch)

tried several sets of axles, no real change. the best change i've seen has been with a set of new axles, but that didn't completely solve it. also, as mentioned long ago, it's alot better when the car is higher, but not completely gone. still, noone else has to drive around with their swapped car or 99-00 si as high as i had it. i am not sure why these axles work for others but not for me? it has to be a bind, because it gets so much better when the car is high. could the alignment be causing the binding? i didn't change anything w/ that when i swapped, but who knows. seems like something is putting an angle on an axle that is causing a bind.

any other experiences/ opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:10 PM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tried several sets of axles, no real change. the best change i've seen has been with a set of new axles, but that didn't completely solve it. also, as mentioned long ago, it's alot better when the car is higher, but not completely gone. still, noone else has to drive around with their swapped car or 99-00 si as high as i had it. i am not sure why these axles work for others but not for me? it has to be a bind, because it gets so much better when the car is high. could the alignment be causing the binding? i didn't change anything w/ that when i swapped, but who knows. seems like something is putting an angle on an axle that is causing a bind.

any other experiences/ opinions are greatly appreciated.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump for more info. visually the wheels do not look like they have mad toe or camber, atleast enough to put the hub in a position to induce some bind, but i know it's gotta be something related to the suspension because like i mentioned above, it goes away when i raise the car up...

any other suggestions?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Halfshaft
Wheel bearings
?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Whitfield Inc.)

have you checked any of the lower control arm bushings? I know your pointing a finger at the axles...but if the bushings are starting to go it could act like that...did this problem happen right after the swap? or have you had the car and this is a new problem?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:21 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (92_civic)

hap'd as soon as i swapped....

goes away when i raise it up...
Old 06-22-2007, 12:42 PM

i'm thinking it's got to be the intermediate shaft. you mentioned the wiggling, i have ZERO play in my int shaft/axle assembly.

and it makes sense that the vibration changes with the ride height (angle of the axles).
Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mahatma)

i know it sounds stupid but are your lugs tight?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mahatma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm thinking it's got to be the intermediate shaft. you mentioned the wiggling, i have ZERO play in my int shaft/axle assembly.

and it makes sense that the vibration changes with the ride height (angle of the axles).</TD></TR></TABLE>

when the car is jacked up, the inner driver side cv hub seems to have some play, which is normal i'd think since there is no load on it...

however, what i was talking about is the replacement intermediate shaft and bracket assembly that HMO sent me to replace the one i have. it seems like it has a lot of play in that i can wiggle the shaft alot when it's anchored in the bearing within the support.

i have not tried this with my old one since i've yet to remove it, but i'm thinking i'll just rebuild the replacement unit that HMO sent me and swap them.

i mean, there is nothing else at this time that can be causing this. i put new tires on today and the tech said the alignment is not that bad judging from my tire wear. keep in mind the tires i took off were s03 pole positions from 2002 so there was some wear lol but all was even....

i think you are right about this....

now, gotta order all the stuff and rebuild this intermediate shaft assembly.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:47 PM
MiG-21 superfan

i ended up buying a brand new halfshaft assembly. the old one def had some play whereas the new one didn't at all, but the vibration is still present, albeit slight.

at this point i don't know what to do lol. everything is new!

can beat outer tie rod ends w/ their ball joints cause this type of issue?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM

since the problem causes mainly when turning....then yeah balljoints could be the culprit.

you've replaced everything else brand new, why stop now? haha
Old 07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
MiG-21 superfan

it's always under acceleration tho, either turning or going straight. with that info, does it still sound like it could be outer tie rod ends/ ball joints?

it's smooth as butter otherwise...and the halfshaft defintely offered quite an improvement, but it's not 100% gone.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's always under acceleration tho, either turning or going straight. with that info, does it still sound like it could be outer tie rod ends/ ball joints?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ehh not so much, now that you mention it.

but for god's sake, what's left besides the motor/trans??!!!?? and the problem occurred even prior to you swapping the motor & trans, right?

i think this should be stickied until it's resolved
Old 07-01-2007, 07:17 PM
MiG-21 superfan

nope, didn't occur before the swap...

if it was the diff, wouldn't it make a sound and/or push the seals out eventually? the trans is an lsd gsr trans from hmotors that came with my swap.

Modified by builthatch at 11:58 PM 7/1/2007

Quick Reply: vibrations OOOOHHH vibrations...