Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

type r swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type r swap

im going to be putting a 2001 itr motor in to a 94 gsr, i need to know what harness and ecu to run. the motor is obd2b, and the car is obd1. help
Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Re: type r swap (crx-r1)

Personaly I would spend the money on building the gsr motor and then put a 4.7 final drive and and a LSD into the trany. But If u just want to rep the type R, bye one because the motor is not the only thing that makes a type R.

On the other hand, if you got the money and the ambition to do this swap i would use the GSR harness and ECU (chiped of course). The problem with obd2 is that the programable chip is soddered to the ecu which makes it difficult to remove and program.

Good luck
Old 05-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: type r swap (0-60pdog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0-60pdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personaly I would spend the money on building the gsr motor and then put a 4.7 final drive and and a LSD into the trany. But If u just want to rep the type R, bye one because the motor is not the only thing that makes a type R.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but its actually more cost effective to buy a ITR engine vs. building a GSR engine up. An ITR engine already has better camshafts, an excellent geared tranny over the GSR tranny w/LSD (and even better if the guy buys a 98+ JDM ITR tranny which is 4.7fd equipped -- no need to spend $$ on buying an LSD, 4.7FD, and the labor to have it installed), has a nice lightly ported head, great valve train, higher compression w/moly coated pistons, a crank designed to handle high revs, high flow intake manifold and 62mm TB.....the list goes on....you see my point?

crx-r1,

The engine wire harness you wanna use with your ITR engine is any 96-01 OBD2 US integra engine harness. Its fully reverse compatible & will plug n' play with your OBD1/94 Integra. There will be a couple of plugs that will not be used and just left dangling.

As far as the ecu goes, you have a couple options, depending on what you want to do...

1) You can reuse your existing GSR/P72 ecu if you'd like, but reprogramming it is HIGHLY suggested, or at least run a VTEC controller and raise the VTEC point to 5500-5700rpm. The stock GSR VTEC point kicks on too early for an ITR engine.

2) If you want to use the 01 ITR ecu, you'll need to purchase an ecu jumper harness, which will allow you to PnP the OBD2b ITR ecu into your OBD1 GSR vehicle. It sounds like yer putting in a US ITR engine, so, if you wanna use the ITR ecu, you'll have to do some additional work: wire in the 2nd 02 sensor, the CKP sensor, and have the immobilizer removed.

3) You can use a JDM ITR ecu instead of a US ITR ecu and you won't have to worry about wiring in those additional sensors mentioned in #2 nor have any immobilizer removed, because JDM ITR programming doesn't look for or have those sensors or an immobilizer. But you will still have to get a jumper harness in order to adapt the JDM ITR ecu.

..if it was my choice, I'd stick with the OBD1 P72 ecu and have it reprogrammed. But i'm not sure if you're caring to be smog legal or not.

(shameless plug time!) btw, i sell ecu jumpers for either of those setups listed above and I reprogram ecu's as well....see the JHP link in my sig if you're interested.

i
Old 05-29-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: type r swap (Katman)

Katman does have a valid point on the ITR motor! But that does not change my opinion on the GSR motor. like I said "Personaly" i would build the GSR and get about 210 WHP All Motor for around the same price. Of course this depends greatly on the machine shop, tuner and parts you use to build it!!!

Although, I agree completely with programming the p72 ecu.

BTW Im not saying the ITR motor is not a worthy swap, but a built GSR is a great alternative without changing the harness or ecu. I am building a CTR powered CRX that is going to be realy fun and reliable but if they made a crx Type R i would have bought that.

Old 05-29-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: type r swap (0-60pdog)

you do have a good point about the gsr motor but i already have the motor from my friends itr that he wrecked. its just sitting in my garage. so im going to put it in while im building the gsr motor. thanks for your help
Old 05-29-2004, 11:19 AM

i might be interested in getting my p72 rechipped ill let u know
Old 05-29-2004, 10:55 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but its actually more cost effective to buy a ITR engine vs. building a GSR engine up. An ITR engine already has better camshafts, an excellent geared tranny over the GSR tranny w/LSD (and even better if the guy buys a 98+ JDM ITR tranny which is 4.7fd equipped -- no need to spend $$ on buying an LSD, 4.7FD, and the labor to have it installed), has a nice lightly ported head, great valve train, higher compression w/moly coated pistons, a crank designed to handle high revs, high flow intake manifold and 62mm TB.....the list goes on....you see my point?

crx-r1,

The engine wire harness you wanna use with your ITR engine is any 96-01 OBD2 US integra engine harness. Its fully reverse compatible & will plug n' play with your OBD1/94 Integra. There will be a couple of plugs that will not be used and just left dangling.

As far as the ecu goes, you have a couple options, depending on what you want to do...

1) You can reuse your existing GSR/P72 ecu if you'd like, but reprogramming it is HIGHLY suggested, or at least run a VTEC controller and raise the VTEC point to 5500-5700rpm. The stock GSR VTEC point kicks on too early for an ITR engine.

2) If you want to use the 01 ITR ecu, you'll need to purchase an ecu jumper harness, which will allow you to PnP the OBD2b ITR ecu into your OBD1 GSR vehicle. It sounds like yer putting in a US ITR engine, so, if you wanna use the ITR ecu, you'll have to do some additional work: wire in the 2nd 02 sensor, the CKP sensor, and have the immobilizer removed.

3) You can use a JDM ITR ecu instead of a US ITR ecu and you won't have to worry about wiring in those additional sensors mentioned in #2 nor have any immobilizer removed, because JDM ITR programming doesn't look for or have those sensors or an immobilizer. But you will still have to get a jumper harness in order to adapt the JDM ITR ecu.

..if it was my choice, I'd stick with the OBD1 P72 ecu and have it reprogrammed. But i'm not sure if you're caring to be smog legal or not.

(shameless plug time!) btw, i sell ecu jumpers for either of those setups listed above and I reprogram ecu's as well....see the JHP link in my sig if you're interested.

i</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO uhhhh duuuu.. itr are the ****.. worth every penny.. there very HOT right now.. we been installing several type R's at MHR lately..
Old 06-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: type r swap (MHRacing-310)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MHRacing-310 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
LMAO uhhhh duuuu.. itr are the ****.. worth every penny.. there very HOT right now.. we been installing several type R's at MHR lately.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...nice way of shamefully plugging yourself Max! LOL

MHR.......FORRRR MEE TO POOOP ON!!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 06:11 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

I got NO shame in my game sucka! LOL , haha talk about plug.. look at your sig.. what are you writing a freeking novel?? LOL

Modified by MHRacing-310 at 7:23 PM 6/5/2004
Old 06-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: type r swap (MHRacing-310)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MHRacing-310 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> what are you writing a freeking novel?? LOL
</TD></TR></TABLE>

...just as much as you are dickweed!