Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermostat problem, take a look. give me advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat problem, take a look. give me advice

ok, pulled my motor out like 2 months ago, put a itr tranny on my 99 gsr, and had to fix my broken motor mounts. It sat long becasuse I was on a work project. But after everything was all said and done, I took my car out for a spin, and it over heated right away. I was confused at first, but i knew it must had been the thermo, casue with it sitting out so long, it must of gotten stuck closed. (stupid me, I should of covered the hoel better) but maybe from it drying to well, it just got stuck. But I just took the thermo out. Its fine now, drove it around all night. (itr tranny is awesom, but plates are expired, so i can't o far)
But is it ok to run without the thermostat?? It will flow better, and from my knowledge, the thermostat is mostly used in the winter. I just want asurance that its ok to run without the thermo. Let me know. ""P.S. I have new pics of my hatch if someone can post them for me.""
Old 07-20-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: thermostat problem, take a look. give me advice (92hatchy)

Yes you can run w/o a thermostat. The water will just flow faster and take a while to heat up.

I would recommend running just the plate though. Basically you take your thermostat, and cut off the spring and the bracket holding onto the top plate.

This way you can run that little plate with the gasket and it'll flow thru that thermostat hole. I used to run this on my previous D series and loved it, and will be doing this to my motor in about a week.

Make sense?
Old 07-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thermostat problem, take a look. give me advice (poison)

yes, it makes sence, thats why the thermostat is best for the winter, so it heats up faster.
But all I did was take the rubber gasket off the thermo and use that, it has slots around it, and fits tight between where the thermo usually is, so thats all I did, was use the rubber part, bad idea? Should I cut the thermostat apart and use the rubber gasket with a part of the plate?
Old 07-20-2003, 07:26 PM

Ya I would rcommend using the plate instead. It'll hold the flow a little better and still flow well.

It's just like the valve is open all th etime rather than just no thermostat at all. At least having the plate with a gasket held.

Just cut out the spring and the thermostat valve and run the plate only.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, that sounds safer to me, ill probably take my old thermo apart and use just the plate, that way i don't have to worry about the gasket coming apart and going into the motor. Thanx dude.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, that sounds safer to me, ill probably take my old thermo apart and use just the plate, that way i don't have to worry about the gasket coming apart and going into the motor. Thanx dude.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep that's exactly what I'm referring to. Just hash up the old thermostat and use the top plate.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep that's exactly what I'm referring to. Just hash up the old thermostat and use the top plate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on where you are this could cause problems. If the car never reaches what it feels is "normal" operating temperature then you will be stuck on the fuel maps for warm up. Kiss your gas mileage and performance goodbye if this is the case. Keep in mind that as I said earlier, this will depend on the weather in your area. I would recommend putting a new stock unit back in there.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Re: thermostat problem, take a look. give me advice (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Depending on where you are this could cause problems. If the car never reaches what it feels is "normal" operating temperature then you will be stuck on the fuel maps for warm up. Kiss your gas mileage and performance goodbye if this is the case. Keep in mind that as I said earlier, this will depend on the weather in your area. I would recommend putting a new stock unit back in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, but it is summer thru out the US so temps shouldn't be too bad. I've driven around with the plate only in the Winter (utah with snow) and ran just fine.

It still drives on the proper fuel maps while even cruising and the water temp cooling off. Reason for this is the O2 sensor is hot enough, and does not check the ECT with that.