Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me, am I jumping the gun? Pics of my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me, am I jumping the gun? Pics of my engine.

This little guy has been taken out, and it's sitting next to the car. I mean eveything was just dropped as was, all attached, linkage tranny, even the exhaust.

This is the motor ready to go in:

Like I said before, it's an OBD0 auto B16. It's a little dirty, so it seemed...They bolt the flywheel on, and the guy says "Come look at this ****."

This is the said ****:

Yes, a nice leak at the gasket. The ******* gasket. This means the grime on the engine is oil, and not "dirt" as I assumed. I assumed this on the notion that Zerolift, a well reputed company wouldn't sell something obviously fucked up.

Now I have to wonder just what these stains are:

I posted an irate message on my local forums, which has a section just for that company. And, boy I let loose. But, now with every board I go to, everyone is saying that B series ALL leak that way, and that it's the VTEC solenoid gasket or cam seal. I still call bullshit. Look at that oil cake up! But I will wait until I have gathered enough info, because no matter what, once it's installed, and it IS infact a head problem, they will try to claim improper installation, or some garbage. But if I can exchange it before the install, I win. I defintely want to know, because I already started a bunch of **** with the company, and I don't wanna take this up there and it really ends up being the top end gaskets.

Oh, it's going in this:

94 EJ1 coupe.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude hit it with some choke and carb cleaner, if needed do a compression test on it, check the oil if there is any in it, and see if there is eveidence of coolant in it.

i have received many motors that looked like that, some came from tipping over in shipping and oil spilled all over it, some had blown headgaskets, some had holes in the blocks.

you never can tell sometimes.

also why an OBD O in an EG????

why not just buy an SIRII motor?

they usually dont look as bad either because they are newer
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Tell me, am I jumping the gun? Pics of my engine. (diegoaccord)

yeah I wouldn't worry to much about it. clean it up swap it in and get it running. if it's still leaking oil on the left side replace the cam seal and vtec selenoid gasket. the gasket you'll need is for a 91 NSX. good luck with the swap!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:35 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks like a very normal high milage B series engine with oil leaks around the valve cover, distirbutor and vtec assembly.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

You can tell oil is coming from the cam seal area, itas oily up there.

You also need to take into consideration its a 15 year old motor and will leak with old seals, etc...
Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: (Big Teggie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Teggie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You also need to take into consideration its a 15 year old motor and will leak with old seals, etc... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Clean it up and move on.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Clean it up and move on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Remember, they don't sell it as a "15 year old motor that has been through quite a bit."

They sell it as a "xx year motor with less than 40k miles. Ready to drop in and race away."
Old 04-18-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Re: (uncle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Remember, they don't sell it as a "15 year old motor that has been through quite a bit."

They sell it as a "xx year motor with less than 40k miles. Ready to drop in and race away."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do they sell it as that or does the consumer always assume that? Just saying that the consumer needs to make sure he knows what he's getting before buying it.

I would check all the gaskets, doesn't look far from the norm, I've dealt with Zerolift before and had no problems, I would call them and talk with them if it turns out to be bad.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Re: (Goatsterrman)

Its probly no big deal but check everything and if its all fine put it in and start it its not that hard to put in and take out
Old 04-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (ben1818)

Dude, stop worrying, she'll probably run fine. I had the same leak on my 95 gsr motor, and it stopped once I replaced the solenoid gasket. It can also be the distributor gasket or the o ring inside it. Just clean the motor up, drop it in, and see where the oil comes from. And like everyone else said, if the head gasket is leaking, the coolant reservoir will have oil in it.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Re: (93gsrcoupe)

I went ahead and had that B16 put in. The company I got it from says they'll fix it if it's fucked. Just gotta install distributor, starter and axles and how and IF it runs.