Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swaps

Old 06-19-2002, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaps

Alright, I realize that this has likely been beaten to death, but I'm going to ask anyways. I live in Canada, and as I understand it, vehicle designations are different between here and the US. With this in mind, I am referring to Canadian cars. A friend of mine has a 1995 Civic Si, and want to do a hybrid swap as his stock motor is now on it's last legs. He has two possible options right now. The first is an h22a from a fourth genertation prelude. The second is a b16a from a 2000 Civic SiR. I know that HASport offers a kit for the h22a, then a person can use Integra axles and an Accord midshaft. I was also told though, that the b16a will drop in with no kit required as it uses the same axles and has a hydraulic clutch so that conversion is also avoided. In that case, all that he should need is the engine, tranny and ECU, and a day to do the swap. Basically, I'm looking for as much, and as detailed, informaion as possible to give him.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: swaps (dazed&confused)

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
i have no idea what you want.
i garuntee 99% of your questions will be answered with a search.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: swaps (KAMiN)

I ran a search, but I'm not sure how to narrow it down. When I tried, I got one or two results. A basic search reveals hundreds. I figured that I'd just ask instead. The h22a that he found is an INCREDIBLE deal. Apparently the guy totaled his car and only wants $1000 Cdn for the engine, transmission and ECU. I'm not sure of the km's on it. The other is a b16a2 with 50000 km's (approx.) on it. They want $2500 - $3000 Cdn for it with tranny and ECU. He wants the h22a, but we're curious if there are any little things that most don't mention, that might hold a guy up.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1000$ in funny money?
it depends on what he wants to do
thats the thing
if you want to just go fast in a straight line, get the h22
if you want to autoxcross or go to the track, i would say b16 or b18c.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaps (KAMiN)

It will take more money, time and patience to shoe horn a H22 into a civic.

Its so far from a drop in swap its unbelieveable.

Guess you friend needs to figure out how fast he wants to go, and how much money he wants to spend.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Re: swaps (Apex i ITR)

Yeah but since he is getting such a good deal on the h22, he could have it swapped in for the same price as the b16 swap. The h22 will be alot faster than the b16 too and it doesn't affect the steering that bad. You might take turns alittle slower, but the extra torque will get you out of it faster.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:26 PM

Default Re: swaps (ProjectCX)

He really likes the idea of the h22a, and it's more of a straight line car. The only thing is, he really doesn't have a lot of patience for those kind of swaps. I'm basically looking for as much info as possible on what is involved. If the b16a2 (with hydraulic clutch and such) is a direct swap, with little to no mods required, that may be the way to go. I've heard that with the h22a, wiring and the shift linkage can cause a problem. He doesn't have a/c, so no big loss there, but he won't want to lose his power steering. I've heard everything from having to sacrifice them both, to choosing one or the other, to being able to have both. He's likely going to buy the h22 because for that price, even if he doesn't use it, he can sell and turn a profit. The people with the b16 want an h22, so he's thinking of a possible trade even. As I said, I'm more interested in the difficulty level of the swaps, and EXACTLY what is involved. The price isn't important at this point. I thank you all for your responses this far, and look forward to reading more.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well any swap will take alot of patience. And if does not have the patience then he probably should have someone else do it. Granted the B series are "easy" swaps. The H22 will be a good deal harder, you have to rerun the shifter linkage, do some wiring, custome axles...
Yes the H22 will be alot faster in the straight line!! I'm starting a H22 swap into a 96 hatch tommarow we are picking up the car tonight!!!!
I do not know what is Exactly done but i soon will!! I hear that the guys at JDMSHIT.com are really cool. (My friend was talking to them the other night for about 1 hour!! We are getting the motor there too) they have 2 H22 civics there!!
Email them and ask them they will be able to give you better info than i will be able to... For now
From what i understand the A/C can be kept and i have not heard that the P/S is keepable. Not sure. I have heard may comments as well good, and bad. I have also heard that there is a P/S bracket that is being devoloped.? I know know if it is true or not?
Old 06-21-2002, 09:04 AM
New User

A 'B' series swap is essentially just replacing the engine. An 'H' series on the other hand requires a fair amount of custom work even with the 'mount kits' Its much harder and i wouldn't recommend it for the novice.

Mike
Old 06-21-2002, 01:57 PM
New User

Default Re: swaps (92sleepR)

go with the H22 you can't beat that deal your friend is getting.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:07 PM

Default Re: swaps (Nebula)

h22 is only 180LBs heavier than d16. This is for a whole swap, engine/trans axels... etc. That is not a big difference. You will have to have better front suspension no matter what engine you put it.
In my opinion, get the H22. and get some nice swaybars and maybe a rollcage and you will kick SIR ***.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:05 PM

Default Re: swaps (kane2g)

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. Ultimately, it's up to him I guess. I just wanted to have as much info as possible to give him when he starts asking questions. Thanks again.