Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping to a b18c1...Have some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 03:41 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping to a b18c1...Have some Questions

Ok heres the deal. I have a 96 civic EX and am wanting to swap a b18c1 into my car. There is no one where I live who knows much about imports or works on them and the only place that does is an hour away and the man seems real "Different" when I asked him about swapping the engine. I do have a friend though that owns his own shop and has done many swaps with Camaros,mustangs,and other American cars. He's very unfamilar with the hondas and when we were talking about doing the swap he was asking me $hit that I had no clue on. All I know is the engine is complete with ECU,wiring harness,and all...and can get anything extra I might need( I got this engine from my boy who wrecked his car and still has the car; so if I need anything I can get it) ANyways, can anybody tell me what I can tell him, if it is as easy as take out one engine put the other in...etc. Or what exactly will he run into and what are the steps or changes he may need to make.(o2 sensor changes,ecu probs,etc) By the way how much faster is it and what would it run with just a custom 2.25 exhaust. I will add more but need to get the swap situation out the way first.

Old 09-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping to a b18c1...Have some Questions (civicridin)

Hey, I did my swap myself in my garage....I too also had a complete car to get parts from...a 99 Si.

It really isn't hard at all. Make sure you get a helms manual for your car, and the car you are getting the engine from. Make sure you also have extra money....it will come when you need little parts, and tools.

I assume you are getting the engine out of an GSR....you will want to use your cars existing harness on the new engine. Just unplug it from your EX engine, and put it on the b18c....if the B18c is OBD2 all the connectors should match up perfect, you will just have to extend a few wires....if the integra is OBD1(1994 and before) you may have some small problems with plugs not matching up. DO NOT try to use the b18c engine harness in your car, it will be a real pain in the a$$.

Make sure you get the ECU, engine, and shift linkage....I am not sure if the GSR shift linkage will work, or if the mounts will.

Go to http://www.hybrid.honda-perf.org The 6th gen civic swap page will have the whole parts list for you.

Good luck, and don't have the shop do it for you if you don't trust them.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:35 PM
New User

You can do is all yourself and if your friend will let you use his shop so much the better. what you will really need is the Helms manuals for both the civic and the integra. make sure you have all the necessary parts, axles, shift linkage, rad hoses, etc. Its really not that hard.

I did my swap myself in my garage and it went in fine. I'm mechanically inclined but no smarter than the adverage. if i could figure it out it can be that hard.

Mike
Old 09-19-2001, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depending on the year b18 the wiring harness might fit youll need the shift linkage and the mounts if you have the whole wrecked now would be a great opportunity to salvage all the parts you can off the teg (suspension, fuel pump, sway bars, interior etc..) if you know the year get back to me and ill tell u what you need
Old 09-20-2001, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Swapping to a b18c1...Have some Questions

I did mine myself and it was pretty simple. I made a "How-To" guide to help people like you so check it out and email me if you have any questions.
http://www.jspectuning.com/6gen/

good luck,