Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap axle length problem? EF B16A YS1-LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap axle length problem? EF B16A YS1-LSD

I used the hasport mount kit with a b16a, ys1-lsd tranny into my 90 ef.

I have a vibration coming from the driver side after slamming on the brakes just after the install. At the time it had an old pair of stock struts with springs from an 87 civic. I noticed a big drop in height after installing the b16 and I think something may have broken when I hit the brakes. Since then I have put back my stock Si springs, the vibration went away for the most part... then I cut two coils to see what would happen and the vibration started again but less. (This is all actually after I was sent an avid mount kit that had parts for an ef and eg combined and actually got it installed and running before I noticed and swapped them for correct ones!!!)

So I guess I am stumped as to whether or not the driver side axle may be too long?? How can I tell what mid-shaft I have?? I have read to use the 86-89 driver side axle with a y1 mid-shaft, but how to tell the difference between that and the other (S1, J1, A1, YS1)???? Something else I'm missing?? It has 90-93 teg axles on both sides right now that are equal length, but no problems on the pass side.

Please help, this is my daily driver and I don't have a garage to spend lots of time diagnosing!!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap axle length problem? EF B16A YS1-LSD (gmoneyef)

Anyone???

Just want to know how to tell which mid-shaft is which?? Should the 86-89 teg axle go with a YS1 tranny?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your using the b16 / y1 intermediate shaft, then i dont think da axles will work, thats when u need the 89 hybrid axle.

one thing you need to do though either way is remove the hub dust rings on the hubs
Old 03-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap axle length problem? EF B16A YS1-LSD (MIKE JONES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MIKE JONES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your using the b16 / y1 intermediate shaft, then i dont think da axles will work, thats when u need the 89 hybrid axle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean by 89 "hybrid" axle?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MIKE JONES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one thing you need to do though either way is remove the hub dust rings on the hubs</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never heard of removing these before... what for? I would rather buy custom axles rather than remove those. Do you have personal experience with this? Any reasoning behind this other than you heard from somewhere?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gmoneyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What do you mean by 89 "hybrid" axle?

I have never heard of removing these before... what for? I would rather buy custom axles rather than remove those. Do you have personal experience with this? Any reasoning behind this other than you heard from somewhere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There use to be a bunch of writeups floating around on how to make a 86-89 axle work with the y1 int. shaft.

IMO its not worth it, just get the DA int. shaft and axles and be on your way. Same thing with the dust ring, any b series ef swap write up i have seen said to remove the dust shields from the hub. Its a must do. I've done it on every one of my cars as well as a few others i have swapped, and hvae never had a issue. Its a round metal ring in the hub about 2" in diameter.