Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting 92 Civic CX HB ITR Conversion - checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting 92 Civic CX HB ITR Conversion - checklist?

I'm starting on my project to move my ITR parts into a 92 Civic h/b. <woohoo!>

This car will be a dedicated roadracing track car. I would like some feedback about what all I will need to complete this conversion to ensure I haven't missed anything. I'm in the process of ordering parts to get ready for the actual conversion.

SUSPENSION
For the suspension side, I am planning on using all of my ITR suspension parts and installing coilovers while I'm at it. I'm debating between a set of really sexy Advance Design coilovers ( http://www.advance-design.com/ ) and some single adjustable shortened and revalved Koni's with sleeves. From everything I've read I should be able to unbolt and drop the Civic suspension out of the car and install the ITR suspension with coilovers - I'm going to move the brake system as well, prolly without ABS. Does anyone have any comments on this part of the project - are there any gotcha's that I am missing?

ENGINE/TRANNY/ECU
Ditto on the engine/tranny, I'm planning on pulling out the Civic engine/tranny and dropping the ITR engine/tranny in place. I'm going to install some Energy Suspension engine mount inserts while I have the motor out. The inserts cost a lot less (~$50) than a complete replacement engine mount kit (Mugen hard rubber = ~$400) and quite a few roadracers seem to think that replacing the mounts with hard rubber/polyu is just not worth much.

FUEL TANK/PUMP
I don't know much about what I'm going to do here. Since I'm moving pretty much everything over, I assume that I need to move the fuel pump over from the ITR, since the Civic prolly doesn't pump enough gas for the ITR motor. Will I run into any problems installing the ITR fuel pump into the Civic gas tank?

CAGE
Once I'm done with the mechanics, I'm going to pull the interior and install a Robinson rollcage - a buddy just had one installed in his E30 M3 and it is absolutely gorgeous.

EXTERIOR/PAINT
This car should haul *** when it's done - I imagine I'll have some lift problems at top speed with the stock CX, so I'm starting to look into body kits - it looks like I'll need a wing to push the rear end down and a front lip to keep air from getting under the car. Does anyone have any recommendations for body kits?

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff here, and I don't want to get half way into the project and realize I missed ordering something important and then have to sideline the project while waiting on parts to be delivered. I would really appreciate any insight into this project - especially if someone has done a job like this and knows some of the tricks.

thanks a lot. -Ewan
Old 06-08-2001, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starting 92 Civic CX HB ITR Conversion - checklist? (SpiceyRice)

Mmm... I don't have too much practical experience, but from what I've heard here's what I've got...

SUSPENSION
No comment. I'm clueless .

ENGINE/TRANNY/ECU
Agreed. Get the polyurethane mounts, screw the $400 mount kit. Who really cares if it's made by Mugen? Whoop de ****...

FUEL
Should be no problem installing the higher-flow ITR fuel pump. Actually, I believe the ITR pump is the same as the GSR... from what I've heard. Might wanna check on that one.

CAGE
Glad safety is part of the design! A good cage install always looks sweet as hell...

EXTERIOR/PAINT
I don't really think bodykits are worth their salt. What you might want to do instead is make a kind of skidguard that fits under the car from the front to the back... not to insulate, but to prevent wind resistance. I've seen these on top-speed cars like the New Zealand record-holding CRX. It uses a full-car underneath windplate. For the spoiler, there's a CF duckbill spoiler they were talking about in the Civic forum... looks pretty good, weighs almost nothing. Might wanna check that out .

That's all I know. Good luck with the project!