Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slanted / tilted engine... yeah that could be a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slanted / tilted engine... yeah that could be a problem

Ok... maybe a "problem" is a bit of an understatment.
Basically, I had a company (Porters Performance) finish a few lingering problems with my h22a swap. Well, when it was finally returned (4 months later) I noticed that the engine was not level... from the driver side to the passenger side, it slants downward (about 3 - 4 cm) over the whole length of the engine. It is because of this (maybe someone can confirm) that I'm having difficulty shifting gears and is making my reverse gear almost impossible to engage into.
To make a long story short, a local tuning shop wants to charge me $200 to level my engine by means of "custom fabrication". What I want to know is whether or not I can just order a new transmission mount (being that it's low on the passenger side) and have the new mount essentially level-out everything. Is that logical / feasible? Am I correct in my assumption that having a non-level engine would make it difficult to shift gears? Is there a less expensive alternative to fixing this issue or am I better off by paying the $200? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slanted / tilted engine... yeah that could be a problem (DevontElan)

I would think that it's bending your shift linkage and making it difficult to shift ... Does the custom fab sound bogus to anyone else? Isn't there mount kits available for these types of swaps?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slanted / tilted engine... yeah that could be a problem (DevontElan)

If you have still have teh cable shifter on that tranny, I would check for binding on the transmission mount.

brian g
Old 03-09-2006, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Slanted / tilted engine... yeah that could be a problem (brian g)

but wouldn't getting new engine mounts essentially circumvent the whole binding issue, alltogether? i'm just pressed about the whole issue 'cause i'd have to pay $200 for them to do "something"... (put on a new mount... weld some bracket... or something...) i'm not sure what, 'cause they wouldn't tell me (they know i'd end up doing it myself). i mean... what "custom fabrication" can you do for only $200? that won't even cover the cost of new motor mounts. any ideas anyone?... just go put on new motor mounts myself? anything i should be cautious about?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pictures.