Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2000 motor into a 1990 civic si

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 motor into a 1990 civic si

i've been daydreaming about this swap for a long time now. 1990 civic hatch - converted to RWD and using an S2000 motor. i did a search, and just found some old posts with little said on this topic.

i know it would be possible. but what do you guys think would be entailed in the swap. how much would you estimate it to cost? im no stranger to engine projects. i have an OBD II B18C in my 1990 hatch, and am just finishing a 1990 STD-SI conversion. so im not afraid of work. im just afraid of spending a ton of money

any thoughts?
thanks.
-SM
Old 02-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 motor into a 1990 civic si (streetmodified)

not worth the money which would equal a ton.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:56 PM

well, i was thinking that you could get the transaxle from a crv - which might not be that much. and an S2K engine isnt all that much (because it cant be swapped easily).
Old 02-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: (streetmodified)

u best bet is find an old s800, then drop it in..
Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (MaskedDC4)

If you're even asking us how much work is involved, you're not even ready nor capable of doing this swap.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaskedDC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u best bet is find an old s800, then drop it in.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said

although somewhere on h-t.com is a pic of an EG w/ a s2k motor and there is an EG w/ a legend motor as well...so the skies the limit.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: (Mikey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're even asking us how much work is involved, you're not even ready nor capable of doing this swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont you have better things to do than bring negativity to a post like this?
wonder if people did this to pacman when he wanted to put a K into his car.

take the negativity somewhere else. you dont know me, nor what i am capable of.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetmodified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dont you have better things to do than bring negativity to a post like this?
wonder if people did this to pacman when he wanted to put a K into his car.

take the negativity somewhere else. you dont know me, nor what i am capable of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then do it. The only reason I'm anti S2000 motor into a Civic is because it's going to take a lot of time, money, and resources. Usually people asking an internet foum for help or suggestions lack some of those requirements. I also think that spending $5000+ for an engine that puts out roughly 240 hp stock with expensive aftermarket parts is bad platform to start, but I guess Honda guys like sticking with Honda parts. If that's your thing, stick with it. I would would suggest a 6 or 8 cylinder engine. Why? Because it could be cheaper to buy (depending on what engine) and cheaper to modify.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Converting a Civic to RWD is simply a fashion statement, and an expensive one at that. After tube-framing the back half of the car to accept a real rearend and suspension setup, you still have to create a tranny and driveshaft tunnel and figure out how to mount the engine.

Not to mention the wiring and header/exhaust fabrication . If you're shitting money, this would make a decent show car, but when FWD Civics hit 10's in street trim with built B-series engines, there's really just no reason to do this aside from "being special".

And where I come from, "being special" is a euphemism for "retarded".

-Mike-
Old 02-21-2005, 12:24 PM

i already have a hatch with a B18C5. but i think it would be cool to have a RWD civic with an awesome engine that has a nice, close-ratio 6-speed tranny. i love to autocross, and something that can rotate well, and stay on boil is attractive to me. i dont **** money - i was just curious. since when is the hunger for knowledge a crime?

and:
simply a fashion statement? RWD would allow you to throttle steer (and rotate) the car better for racing. but you sound like a drag guy - talking about "10 second cars"

and where i come from - when you talk about a 10 civic, you've really just "watched the Fast and the Furious" a few too many times. you want to talk about shitting money? how much do you think those guys spent? yeah....

-SM-
Old 02-21-2005, 02:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetmodified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already have a hatch with a B18C5. but i think it would be cool to have a RWD civic with an awesome engine that has a nice, close-ratio 6-speed tranny. i love to autocross, and something that can rotate well, and stay on boil is attractive to me. i dont **** money - i was just curious. since when is the hunger for knowledge a crime?

and:
simply a fashion statement? RWD would allow you to throttle steer (and rotate) the car better for racing. but you sound like a drag guy - talking about "10 second cars"

and where i come from - when you talk about a 10 civic, you've really just "watched the Fast and the Furious" a few too many times. you want to talk about shitting money? how much do you think those guys spent? yeah....

-SM- </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. Your support for your argument is teh suck. Anyone that says "but i think it would be cool to have a RWD civic with an awesome engine that has a nice, close-ratio 6-speed tranny" cannot be persuaded. Listen to him instead of getting your panties in a bunch.

Here's my last bit of advice: Buy a miata and save your money, sweat, and time.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 PM

Why not get a RWD car and put the s2000 engine in, has been done many times and is more cost effective.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 PM

thats a good idea. like i said - i just wanted to discuss it. what would be a good RWD platform to work with? seriously - a miata? i know they make pretty decent autox cars - but are also still pretty expensive
Old 02-21-2005, 05:35 PM

i have seen ae86s with s2k motor
Old 02-21-2005, 05:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaskedDC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have seen ae86s with s2k motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah - there was a shot of one in the archives - saw it when i searched. but with the popularity of drifting, those cars are getting harder to come by. i wonder if it would fit into an old school MR2 ?? that would be pretty sweet!

Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetmodified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah - there was a shot of one in the archives - saw it when i searched. but with the popularity of drifting, those cars are getting harder to come by. i wonder if it would fit into an old school MR2 ?? that would be pretty sweet!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it would actually suck. Putting the 3SGTE engine in an old school MR2 would be cool.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (nor.cal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nor.cal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not get a RWD car and put the s2000 engine in, has been done many times and is more cost effective.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:33 PM

if u looking for drifting, miata is not ur friend then
Old 02-21-2005, 08:15 PM

im not really looking for anything - honest. i have my dream car. i just wanted to see what other people had done, and if it was a possibility or just some "fashion statement"

the 3sgte is the 90-93 celica all trac motor, right? those engines are pretty expensive too

Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 AM

i have seen a crx converted to rear drive. first it had a 4g63 in it (that hurt my soul, i mean it is a good motor but dsm and honda should never mix) then the guy put an s2k engine in it i think he was hitting 7's in the 1/4 but this is a full drag car
Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fkncivic)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6256

v6 eg w/ a legend motor

Modified by f@sth@tch89 at 12:57 PM 2/22/2005
Old 02-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (f@sth@tch89)

the guy who built this should have some vids of it doing burn outs and launching at the track.. its crazy...
Old 02-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (f@sth@tch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f@sth@tch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">v6 eg w/ a legend motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to mentioned it's also turbo'd

It was on Ebay a while back here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6256
Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i seen that car on my street.. i would of never guess it was a legend motor... i thought it was a sohc turbo!! lol
Old 03-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetmodified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and:
simply a fashion statement? RWD would allow you to throttle steer (and rotate) the car better for racing. but you sound like a drag guy - talking about "10 second cars"</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not a "drag guy", but if I wanted a RWD car to road race in, I sure as **** wouldn't start with a unibody, originally-FWD Honda Civic. You think it sounds cool in theory because you obviously know nothing about the sport, so I'll let your little barbs slide.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and where i come from - when you talk about a 10 civic, you've really just "watched the Fast and the Furious" a few too many times. you want to talk about shitting money? how much do you think those guys spent? yeah....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who are you again? I stated a fact: there are handfulls of Civics on this site with built engines running 10-second ETs while remaining streetable. What that has to do with a movie is beyond me. Regardless, your F20C Civic would almost certainly still get walked on at a track by a regular ol' S2000 simply because the car and engine were designed to work in harmony with each other. Your Civic will never have that luxury.

It's cool though. You go ahead and build your RWD EF and I'll keep my FWD EG and we'll road race some day. My only request is that you keep the tears to a minimum after I dance on your face.

Quick Reply: S2000 motor into a 1990 civic si