Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running lean in VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running lean in VTEC

Ok, well one of my friends has a 92 hatch with a Del sol B16 in it. Everytime when he hits vtec his A/F goes lean enough to go off of the A/F meter... True enough his A/F ratioo meter is not completely accurate but it goes from right around stoich to Lean and then off the chart lean (kind of like when your going quick and then let off the gas & coast...). He never gets any cel's it hits VTEC fine, just goes lean under VTEC. Although I don't think this is it, somebody told him that it might be his 1.5L fuel pump. So he bought a walbro 255lph pump and I put it in... Same thing... Any suggestions...? Please let me know thanks.

Sean C.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running lean in VTEC (20lb.teg)

Ok, well one of my friends has a 92 hatch with a Del sol B16 in it. Everytime when he hits vtec his A/F goes lean enough to go off of the A/F meter... True enough his A/F ratioo meter is not completely accurate but it goes from right around stoich to Lean and then off the chart lean (kind of like when your going quick and then let off the gas & coast...). He never gets any cel's it hits VTEC fine, just goes lean under VTEC. Although I don't think this is it, somebody told him that it might be his 1.5L fuel pump. So he bought a walbro 255lph pump and I put it in... Same thing... Any suggestions...? Please let me know thanks.

Sean C.
1. i suggest you callibrate the A/F meter with a known source.

2. maybe set the fuel pressure to 41psi (vac removed).

3. check for kinked fuel lines/ cloged fuel filters/restrictions etc etc.

hth,

t..
Old 02-05-2003, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Running lean in VTEC (20lb.teg)

I'm having the EXACT same problem, only my setup is quite different. I have a 92 Hatch (http://home.sc.rr.com/ntgr/images/ci...12-2002-17.jpg) with built 2.0 B18C from Import Builders. I'm running Hondata Stage 2B with GM 3Bar MAP, 255lph pump, 440cc injectors... the whole 9 yards. I had it tuned a couple of weaks ago and everything was working great. I recently installed an MSD ignition setup with controller box, coil, modifed cap and wires. This is when my A/F meter started running towards lean in VTEC... it didn't used to do this.

I have a fuel pressure guage inside the car, pressure is normal... no drops. So I assume the fuel pump is working properly and there are no restrictions, otherwise my pressure should drop... I would think. I checked the vacuum line to my MAP and it's not leaking (it's clamped at both ends). I even upped the fuel pressure to see if that would help... nada.

Could I have a faulty MAP? Or, since the o2 reads A/F Ratio after the burn... could the MSD have simply "cleaned up" my emissions, giving a better burn and causing the o2 to read differently? Or... could my o2 just be bad? The tuner did notice that Ihad what he called a "lazy" o2 sensor and recommended replacing it. Think this will make any noticeable difference in A/F readings on the meter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,