Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running on 2 cylinders...Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running on 2 cylinders...Need help!

My setup is in my sig and I am having some problem getting the engine to run properly. Here it goes...My car felt reall sluggish when I drove it after finally elimating all cels and getting my conversion harness. I decided to do a compression check and the numbers are 210 across all cylinders. Then I checked the spark plugs and 4 and 3 still look brand new after running the engine for nearly an hour! 2 and 1 are nice and slightly brown. I think I'm only running on two cylinders!!! I checked for spark and there is a very strong spark on all 4 wires. So I can eliminate spark as a problem. I double checked my injector wiring, which I had to extend wires to fit, and the colors all matched. I checked for continuity from the factory plugs to my obd2 to 1 conversion harness plugs at the ecu and got 13.78 volts on all injectors. I also took the fuel rail off and switched the two injectors from the cylinders that I know are working and put them on the injectors that I think aren't working and the problem still remains. By doing that I know all 4 injectors work. Also if I remove the spark wire from 4 or 3 the engine still idles normally but if I remove the spark wire from 2 or 1 the engine misses and dies. What do you think could be the problem?
Old 07-28-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: running on 2 cylinders...Need help! (b20ek)

Hmm, that's very odd.

Just check the following:

Check the cap and make sure there is no corrosion or wear on the cap on any of 'em (mainly on 3 and 4 cylinder).

Also, I know you said you checked the wires, but check continuity using a digital multimeter and test for open circuit on the following:

Injector 3 -> Lt BLU wire going to A5 pinout. Check the terminal at the plug and the injector plug and make sure it shorts using the digital multimeter. if it's an open circuit, there is not a complete connection.

Also Injector 4-> Yel wire going to A2. Also, try wiring the Yel/Blk wires directly to the Yel/Blk junction harness and ensure there is a strong power from the A25 pinout. Obviously other sensors are working, so that is not a problem, but the Yel/Blk wire from #3 and #4 could not have a complete connection to the juntion harness as well.

Keep us posted bro.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:54 PM

how well are the wires connected? when you pulled the two plugs that didn't seem to be firing, were there any scorch marks on the part the wire is supposed to connect to? if so, make sure you put the wires all the way on. i know this sounds really dumb and obvious, but i've done it before...
Old 07-28-2003, 09:33 PM

Default Re: (S8P-tuner)

I already replaced the distributor cap and rotor thinking that that could be the problem but it didn't help. I will double check for continuity at the injector and I am pretty sure that the plug wires are secure on the plug itself. I will try a p28 just to check and see if it makes a difference with the injector problem. Oh one thing is weird. If I unplugg the injector clips off of the injectors that don't work I get a cel. So it's possible that I have another problem than injetors maybe.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b20ek)

First remove the spark plug(s) that doen't seem to be firing plug them up to your spark plug wire. rest the spark plug on a ground to see if your getting spark. or a spark tester might help. also before the spark test are you sure your getting fuel. maybe a loose wire or cloged injectors. i would check that first