Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliable & "Inexpensive" 300hp??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable & "Inexpensive" 300hp??

A few months ago I watched a video on youtube that totally implanted the idea in my head that a swapped/boosted eg sedan sleeper is the coolest thing ever. Since then, I've devoted most of my free time into researching Honda's, Honda engines, and engine swaps.

I currently drive an untastefully modified automatic dc4 with a b18b1. I bought it lowered (around 2.5") on black MSR 17's, dark tint, loud exhaust. I thought it was cool when I bought it....
ANTI-FLAMING DISCLAIMER::: I no longer think my car is cool! It's totally inconvienient (2 doors, no A/C, suspension is awful for daily driving). I got it when I was 16, I liked it because it looked sporty and flashy. It's real sporty until you try to accelerate. There's nothing sporty about 140hp, and 0-60 in like 10 seconds. I don't have a lot of money, therefore I can either have a car that looks fast or a car that is fast.

My plan is to sell my DC4, buy a manual eg sedan with a straight body, clean interior, <200k miles, and little to no aftermarket mods. (I now have a deep mistrust of people who slap rims/farts cannons/chrome tail lights on their cars) Then Swap a B/H/F series engine into it and boost it. And that's all. Suspension will stay at stock height (even if aftermarket springs/struts are required for heavier engine), wheels/tires will stay stock, exhaust may need modification, but it will stay mostly stock. Basically I want a 300hp daily driver.

Abilities/Restrictions:
  • Power steering needs to stay
  • A/C optional, but preferred
  • I'm mechanically inclined & have access to all tools/equipment required for a swap
  • Ability to weld new mounts/cut off existing mounts
  • Horsepower at the wheels at or above 300
  • Total price as low as possible
  • Swap not on a time crunch
  • Well respected tuning facility w/ dyno nearby for fine tuning

I've read countless threads on EG swaps; D, B, H, F... All of them. I understand the difficulty level of each swap. Engine weight varies throughout these engines, I don't have a problem with that; I will upgrade suspension if needed.

-I don't have a preference on which series engine to swap in, or the supporting engine modifications.

-I DO have a preference on the turbocharger I get (No Ebay kits)... I want it to last; therefore I am prepared to spend the extra $$$.

Bottom line - What engine/internal upgrades/heads/turbo combination can get me 300hp cheaply and while retaining reliability?

Thanks for any input. I'll continue researching and I'll try to post my findings.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliable & "Inexpensive" 300hp??

Boost it and put a manual box on there prefferably b series. Just get it mapped right and keep it serviced well and you should have no issues.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want simple & reliable: get a B18B, rehone & ring the engine, new seals as needed, blox cast manifold, 2.5" or 2.25" downpipe to fit A/C, and a 50trim T3/T4 turbo with a .63AR turbine. It will make 300whp with reasonable boost levels and last many miles if you're not stupid with it. If you want a bit more reliability, go with a wiseco/eagle piston/rod combo but you'll have to be certain not to beat on it until it warms up.

It will be much more fun & less prone to breaking internals than a B16 or GSR, but have the torque you need for DD'ing. You can also keep your A/C and P/S if you want. You can do the same thing with a D16 but it will have less torque, more lag, and require forged internals. You can also upgrade the B18B for more power later by putting a vtec head on it.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by HiProfile
If you want simple & reliable: get a B18B
The B18B swap is starting to sound a lot more appealing to me now. I originally was wanting to go with an h22a, but the more I research the less confidence I have in myself to swap a h22 in a car originally designed for a d-series engine.

Thanks for the comment man, I'll be keeping my eyes out for a nice b18b block