Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ATTS when building H2B

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ATTS when building H2B

in planning stages of building H2B NA for my Civic EK.

Found some pretty good deals on the H22A4 however i know i need to beware H's with ATTS...if I get the H22A4 long block I should be ok, right? Haven't decided on trans yet, I like what i'm seeing with the ITR + LS 5th.

Like I said, still in the planning stages, def want to go H2B with this project...but if you think id be better off with a different H22 or possibly an H23 (for = or less than price H22A4) I'm all ears...at this point I'm thinking OBD2, open deck, but can be convinced otherwise.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Question about ATTS when building H2B

You won't be able to tell if an H22A4 is set up for ATTS by the block code, just have to look at it and see. Not sure how it would work in regards to an H2B setup, but with an H/f tranny, you can simply build an adaptor plate to mate the halfshaft to the ATTS block.

If you are just going for H torque on the cheap, the H23 non-vtec would work for you, but I would look for a JDM H22A or H23A bluetop if you can.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboi
You won't be able to tell if an H22A4 is set up for ATTS by the block code, just have to look at it and see. Not sure how it would work in regards to an H2B setup, but with an H/f tranny, you can simply build an adaptor plate to mate the halfshaft to the ATTS block.

If you are just going for H torque on the cheap, the H23 non-vtec would work for you, but I would look for a JDM H22A or H23A bluetop if you can.
thx, much appreciated. still a little confused...so if i find an H22A4 long block that isn't set up for ATTS, would I still need to build adapter plate, or could I go about it as normal with b-series trans and H2B kit, etc.?

Is the H22A4 the only H22A with an open deck?

Also, I've def. been looking at the H23A vtec blue-top, do you think they bring a distinct advantage to H2B NA build compared to the H22A's?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cheddar324
thx, much appreciated. still a little confused...so if i find an H22A4 long block that isn't set up for ATTS, would I still need to build adapter plate, or could I go about it as normal with b-series trans and H2B kit, etc.?

Is the H22A4 the only H22A with an open deck?

Also, I've def. been looking at the H23A vtec blue-top, do you think they bring a distinct advantage to H2B NA build compared to the H22A's?

Bump...lot of conflicting info out there. clarification on the above questions desperately needed. Let me know if my questions don't make sense.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately I dunno about H2B, so someone else will have to chime in, but the mounts for the ATTS are the only difference on the H blocks.

Why are you so into open deck? Isn't a closed deck block better? The only thing going for the H22A4 in my opinion is the 55mm mains in the later ones, instead of 50mm.

In regards to the H23A VTEC engine, it builds more torque, but doesn't rev as high as the other H engines. I built one myself from frankenstein parts, and loved it, aside from busting a piston with nitrous. Honestly I would say just go with whichever engine you can find the deal you like on.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think there's consensus on whether or not closed deck is "better" than open deck. most people think that closed is better if ur going to boost ur engine which, to an extent is true i guess, however if you want to boost ur engine ur best off removing/replacing those parts which make closed deck "better" anyway...so it really doesn't matter too much in terms of boosting. On the other hand, if you're going to go NA, then open-deck is better for the I/H/E, etc...that could be just my opinion, but those who argue otherwise haven't quite convinced me yet.

Either way, im not dead set on open deck, but if I can I'd like to find one that is OBD2 for a reasonable price, but from what i can tell the only option i have has the ATTS issue...thats why I was wondering if i got the long block (engine only) would I still have issue mating it b-trans...i guess more researching for me. I'll look into the H23A VTEC too. Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump...still can't find definitive answer to some of the questions in this thread
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

h22a or h23a and call it a day. Wouldnt be worth the hassle of dealing with 2 adapters for your half shaft on an att block.