Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons to the h2b

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons to the h2b

ight i am in the navy and been out to sea for six months now. i can only use the computers when they decide to work so i was wondering if you guys could help me out with understanding the concept of the h2b kit. i understand that their is better gearing in b series tranny but does it inhibit the motor at all. what i mean is my buddy has a h22 in an accord with a fully built head and he can rap the rpms to 12000. will a b series tranny still let you do that? any info to help me better understand this would be great, or a link to were ever this was discussed befor. thank you
Old 01-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros and cons to the h2b (killer hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killer hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ight i am in the navy and been out to sea for six months now. i can only use the computers when they decide to work so i was wondering if you guys could help me out with understanding the concept of the h2b kit. i understand that their is better gearing in b series tranny but does it inhibit the motor at all. what i mean is my buddy has a h22 in an accord with a fully built head and he can rap the rpms to 12000. will a b series tranny still let you do that? any info to help me better understand this would be great, or a link to were ever this was discussed befor. thank you</TD></TR></TABLE>

12K rpms........sure.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: pros and cons to the h2b (skunked)

my bad i meant 11k. i didnt believe it either till i saw it. but the question still stands, is it worth buying the h2b or not. what is the up side and down side if any.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros and cons to the h2b (killer hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killer hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bad i meant 11k. i didnt believe it either till i saw it. but the question still stands, is it worth buying the h2b or not. what is the up side and down side if any.</TD></TR></TABLE>

even 11K...come on now.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1475661
Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros and cons to the h2b (skunked)

You're friend is lying to you, OR the tach you two were drooling over when you watched him rev it up that high is hideously incorrect.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong Skunked?

My brother's friend's cousin is in the Iraqi Army and his sister is in the Pakistani Navy and her brother-in-law is in the Korean Air Force and his F22 Accord revs to 13,000 rpms!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: (RotiEatter)

damn rotti your friends, cousins, uncles, mothers **** is pretty diverse. must be an interesting family reunion.

dark; maybe you are right. but if their is a glitch in the tach, then it is in the higher rpms. the tach reads 500 while idling. ill have to look into it.

so know that this has been flamed enough, how about helping out be understanding this h2b kit. you think one of you guys can do that.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (killer hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killer hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn rotti your friends, cousins, uncles, mothers **** is pretty diverse. must be an interesting family reunion.

dark; maybe you are right. but if their is a glitch in the tach, then it is in the higher rpms. the tach reads 500 while idling. ill have to look into it.

so know that this has been flamed enough, how about helping out be understanding this h2b kit. you think one of you guys can do that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you look at the link I posted above?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killer hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn rotti your friends, cousins, uncles, mothers **** is pretty diverse. must be an interesting family reunion.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you look at the link I posted above?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, there are very informative threads that are running around and are still active.

btw- my stock tach was over 1200 rpm off at redline. It read 8400 at 7200. I could only imagine how bad it would be at 13,000rpm. And honestly, i doubt even the pro drag all motor h22's are running 13,000rpm. The h-series transmissions just won't shift at those revs.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Ditto

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not bad, but a few of my Uncle's work for General Mills so we have a lot of cereal instead of real food at our reunions. That and my Aunt is a *****, so everybody gets some too
Old 01-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not bad, but a few of my Uncle's work for General Mills so we have a lot of cereal instead of real food at our reunions. That and my Aunt is a *****, so everybody gets some too </TD></TR></TABLE>

Durty Bird.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That and my Aunt is a *****, so everybody gets some too </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's true, she gives great head That's were Roti's sisters learned

Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Ditto

Default Re: (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's true, she gives great head That's were Roti's sisters learned

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey, everybody needs a good teacher
Old 01-13-2006, 11:07 AM

hay i got a family reunion coming up you think you could lone them to me. they would be great party favores. my family reunions are usually so boring.

i talked to my boy he said that he only goes to 8-9 but if need be it can hit 11 (no power gain). it was built this way for if you miss shift while squeezing the bottle.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, back to the original H2B question. Anyway, the main reason to go with the H2B kit is to greatly simplify swapping the H22A into a Civic. The H2B kit basically allows an H22A to bolt into a Civic with little more difficulty than a B-series. This means that no mount kit is required for a 1992-2000 Civic and no custom fabrication work is required for a 1988-1991 Civic. You entirely avoid mount issues, as well as axle and shift linkage issues. However, if the H22A is to be mounted in a 1990-2002 Accord, using a B-series transmission is just not feasible. In this case, forget about the H2B adaptor and just use the H22A transmission.

Oh, and as far as RPMs, engines limit revs. Not transmissions.

Modified by StorminMatt at 5:10 PM 1/18/2006
Old 01-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StorminMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, back to the original H2B question. Anyway, the main reason to go with the H2B kit is to greatly simplify swapping the H22A into a Civic. The H2B kit basically allows an H22A to bolt into a Civic with little more difficulty than a B-series. This means that no mount kit is required for a 1992-2000 Civic and no custom fabrication work is required for a 1988-1991 Civic. You entirely avoid mount issues, as well as axle and shift linkage issues. However, if the H22A is to be mounted in a 1990-2002 Accord, using a B-series transmission is just not feasible. In this case, forget about the H2B adaptor and just use the H22A transmission.

Oh, and as far as RPMs, engines limit revs. Not transmissions.

Modified by StorminMatt at 5:10 PM 1/18/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't agree with this, it actually causes some other concerns, such as, the crank pully needs to be modified to a single pulley. The hood needs to be raised up about an inch. And to say greatly simplify implies that the standard swap requires custom work to begin with. If you can pick up a phone to order a bseries mount kit, and bseries axles, then you can pick up the same phone to order an hseries mount kit and hseries axles. If you can't cut a hole and mount the shifter and modify (not fabrication) the transmission side frame bracket, then you have no business using a ratchet.

Skunked can fill you in on all the other little bugs.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DarkKnight1)

H22 swaps require modification and or removal of the tranny mount and two holes are required to be cut in the floor for the prelude shift linkage. There was no cutting necessary on my chassis for the H2B conversion. However there was some other work needed such as removal of the rear balance shaft gear and the pulley was machined down to a single belt pulley for added clearance.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:18 AM

Isnt it my understanding that upgraded mounts are necessary as well since the stock ones flex too much adding additional costs to the H2B kits?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jason kiDD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jason kiDD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isnt it my understanding that upgraded mounts are necessary as well since the stock ones flex too much adding additional costs to the H2B kits?</TD></TR></TABLE>

At the minimum, polyurethane inserts are required. Stock mounts are pretty pathetic, I ripped my GSR mounts with a very mild 1.8L setup. I would think anyone with some decent torque/power would have this upgrade as well.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very interesting thread here...i currently also have a h2b set up i am currently building...(thanks seth!)...i have been following this for a long time...my question is since i have to grind down the block for the stock b series axles to fit....will i be able to use bigger axles? like atleast 500 hp axles? i have a crazie set up and i am very afraid of breaking the stock axles...what do u think guys? will the stock axles hold up? i noe they are straight like factory with this kit from quartersports but do u think ill break axles?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also interested in doing this swap in the very new future, but other than the hood & crank modification, I thought everything was all set. Whats this grinding down the block for B-series axles fitment deal?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HatchSpeeD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchSpeeD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm also interested in doing this swap in the very new future, but other than the hood & crank modification, I thought everything was all set. Whats this grinding down the block for B-series axles fitment deal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

u have to grind a little bit off the back of the h22 block to clear way for the head of the axles...its not that much...wont affect performance or driving in any way...but the new axles i wanna use the heads are really beefy i dont think i can grind enough to clear it. any one have any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

u have to grind a little bit off the back of the h22 block to clear way for the head of the axles...its not that much...wont affect performance or driving in any way...but the new axles i wanna use the heads are really beefy i dont think i can grind enough to clear it. any one have any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you know for a fact they are larger? I know most of the axles have better internals with the same housing. If you get me the diameter I can look into it.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know for a fact they are larger? I know most of the axles have better internals with the same housing. If you get me the diameter I can look into it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont have the diameters but i lay'ed both axles side by side before and the aftermarket ones are much bigger...u can easily tell the difference....is there a certain brand u guys suggest?maybe one about the same size? the axles my buddie has will for sure rub on the block...its just way too big...i think they support like 600 hp...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont have the diameters but i lay'ed both axles side by side before and the aftermarket ones are much bigger...u can easily tell the difference....is there a certain brand u guys suggest?maybe one about the same size? the axles my buddie has will for sure rub on the block...its just way too big...i think they support like 600 hp...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You would have to ask the manufacture of the axles to find out if the housing have a larger diameter or not. Some do and some don't.

I run oem axles right now.

Quick Reply: pros and cons to the h2b