Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picking up gsr swap, what crap to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picking up gsr swap, what crap to look out for?

going go pick out a jdm gsr swap tomorrow. I want to take all the precautions before i plunk down a wad. Things i thought of...

check spark plugs
check down oil cap hole for sludge
check for oil on the dip stick (or do they drain it?)
signs of leaks
peeled valve cover

is it possible for them to do a compression test on it while its out? I'm sure they will balk, but...

d
Old 07-29-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: picking up gsr swap, what crap to look out for? (daver)

Just inspect it. It's always best to have a start up warranty as well.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice is you could disassemble it while they watch
Old 07-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: picking up gsr swap, what crap to look out for? (VTECVillain)

look for broken sensors, make sure that they are all there, (i just picked up a jdm b16 with a smashed tps and was missing the map sensor), maybe oil stains coming from the head gasket, axles without cracked boots (also look to see if they are brand new, which might mean that they had previously been torn and used without the boots, which could really f*ck them up) check axle seals, make sure all the mounts are there, check if any of the wiring is cut up, etc...
Old 07-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Start with an outside observation. Engine, tranny, alternator, power steering pump, ac compressor, distributor, starter, axles, wiring harness. Make sure what you want is there...
Next inspect each part thoroughly. Make sure bolts are tightened, fuel injectors are there, wiring harness isn't cut. Some people will use extra engines as a parts store and take excess bolts/parts from them.
Make sure the axles are well seated in the tranny and that they arent snapped inside or anything. Also make sure the ends arent flanged from repeated hammering.
Pick the engine up and make sure the oil pan isnt leaking or severely dented. Hondas usually have a decent amount of clearance between oil pan and oil pump but signs of leakage (anywhere) can mean a faulty engine.
Take the 10mm nuts off the valve cover and take a look inside to make sure there arent any kind of nasty composites on top. Smell it too.. Make sure it doesnt smell smokey. Take off the timing belt cover while you have the valve cover off and turn the pulley so that the cams are TDC to make sure that it was timed correctly and that the timing belt isnt ripped (also a bad sign).
Pull off each spark plug to make sure they dont look like crap. If everything checks out then fork over the money and be on your way.
Of course keep his name, addy, phone # handy just in case. As soon as you can crank the engine.. make sure you put a compression tester on it. Make sure they are all about the same pressure and not more than 20 psi apart. It really helps if you know someone with the same model car and take a picture of that engine to compare.
All I can think of right now.. Let me know if that helped at all.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: picking up gsr swap, what crap to look out for? (Yougod)

yep. that's some really good info guys. However, i already picked mine up yesterday hehe. Only one broken sensor that i found today on the back of the TB. I think i can use the one on my d16z6 tb, they look the same...

There's so many little things to check for i should have brought a list.

The spark plug tips look decently tanned- to- dark in colour. One had oil on the threads (only). I assume that's from leaking down the shaft. I don't know what the electrode gap specs are yet, but these were at .053, which seems high. May have been original

There's a nasty little dent on the pan, like they sat the engine down on a piece of gravel or a bolt. No leaks from there tho.

I unfortunately didn't get to pick mine out, the place i went was out of stock and he got one sent over. But the engine looks pretty good to me. I noticed a crack in the valve cover that was missed, so they replaced that for me. And the valve train looked spic and span clean.

The oil was down a litre, which i didn't like, but i don't think that would damage it. The only leak i could see signs of was from a dribble out the pan drain hole.

thanks,

d