Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overheating issues

I recently got my engine swap done and trying to enjoy it..but im running into problems. My heater didn't work so i took it in to have a shop look at it. He told me he wasn't able to exactly identify the problem, so he asked me to take it in this next monday so that he can check it out completely. When he pulled the hoses coolant flowed out of the engine. But i refilled the resevoir and the radiator. So i left and drove not more than 6-8 miles down the road and i notice the temperature guage approaching the "H" So i pulled over right away on the highway. I had a friend come up and we checked the resevoir, it was still full, but the radiator was bone dry. He told me that it maybe because the engine was dry because when we unplugged the hoses the coolant ran out. So that when we refilled the radiator and resevoir it wasn't enough coolan. So we filled up the whole engine again with coolant. Temp was back to normal...driving for about 20 more miles the gauge starts approaching the "H" again but not as high as before just a lil more than halfway between "H" and "C"...I check the resevoir..still full..but the radiator was not full...but not completely empty either. I checked the heater hose in the back of the engine and there is a leak...small drips but constant. My question is...is everything ok? do i just need to replace that hose and tighten it? I hope i didn't blow my engine or anything. Oh yeah..its really cold outside too in the high 30s.
Any opinions and ideas on why my car is overheating? Or is that small leak the culprit?

Khoi

Old 02-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating issues (Sohc Driver)

Well..problem fixed i hope....that one hose that was connected to the rear of the engine had a clamp on it that was too big. So we replaced it with a smaller one. This solved the leak. I drove it for 20 miles...no increase in temperature according to the temp gauge in the cluster. I also checked the coolant resevoir and its still at max. I held both radiator hoses...the top and bottom both hot...I checked for leaks no leaks..is the problem fixed?

Khoi

Old 02-27-2003, 11:41 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the easiest way for me to refill the engine full of coolant without trapping any air bubbles is to fill the radiator til it's almost topped off. loosen the crack valve near the thermostat and bleed any air bubbles.

i'll start the car with the cap off and let it warm up til i see coolant flowing in the radiator, letting me know the thermostat is open and the system is circulating.

i'll then add coolant until the radiator is topped off, turn off the motor, install the cap, fill the reservoir. i'll then run the car some more to circulate the system some more and check it when it's cold to ensure the radiator is still topped off.

also, be sure you do all this with your temp selector lever on your climate control panel in the "hot" position, as that lever controls a valve that diverts some of the coolant to enter the heater core to heat the incoming air into the passenger cabin. this will ensure any trapped air in the heater core is circulated out while you refill the system.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating issues (drift)

the wierd thing is...the heater didnt' work before..and now it does...why is that?

Khoi
Old 02-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys..i just checked my resevoir..i havnent' driven it since last night..and checked on it this mornign..and my resevior is empty...whats goign on?

Khoi

and i checked that one hose that was leaking before...its leaking again! what the hell...

[Modified by Sohc Driver, 11:48 AM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off id replace the hoses, then id just check to make sure the radiator core and/or reservior bottle arnt leaking themselves. It could also be your Engines Drain or Water jacket core plugs leaking.

I know this would ntcause your reservior to drain but make sure your Radiator cap is maintaining proper Pressure it could be part of the problem.

[Modified by SlowSOHC, 3:30 AM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating issues (SlowSOHC)

Well...i bought a new heater hose...turns out the old one was too short and it didn't clear the bead where the hose hooks up.. So i bought a new hose and new clamps. Seemed to solved the problem..no more over heating..but i notice my resevoir is fluctuating. When i left it over night..it lowered just a lil bit under max when i checked it in the morning, but when i drove it to work and then checked it out again..it went a lil over max...what is going on..still no over heating, radiator is also full and the thermostat is in working order..any ideas?

Khoi

[Modified by Sohc Driver, 1:04 PM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas?? bump

Khoi