Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable?

I'm trying to rewire my '90 CRX DX for an OBD1 B17 swap.
And I'm trying to eliminate all wire cutting and soldering, because I suck at soldering. And because I didn't find any definative answers in "search".
And I want to repin some harness plugs. Can I just remove wires from the OBD1 harnesses and put them in the OBD0 connectors and looms? And will the opposite work as well? Are the pins on the ends of each different OBD wire compatible with each other. Basically what I want to know is, can I mix and match wires and pins between OBD1 and OBD0? And connectors as well?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable? (4crx4me)

no not at all...
Old 09-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Mad Scientist

Default Re: Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable? (chrisCNL)

you mean ecu plug connectors?is so i think you can only use one side
if you mean for sensor plugs, yes you can(most of them)
Old 09-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable? (mmuller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mmuller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you mean for sensor plugs, yes you can(most of them)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanx SOOO much, I'm really getting hung up on this DPFI&gt;MPFI&gt;OBD0&gt;OBD1 + VTEC stuff, I think I'm going CRAZY
A couple of people have told me it is possible if I have ALL the parts and BOTH helms, which I do, but wiring is not my strong suit. LOL
I keep getting confused.
What about the shock tower plugs, I already have an OBD0&gt;OBD1 harness, from blownhatch. I just need to get the GSR harness to mate with the car.
I just want to wire in all the engine sensors into the shock tower plugs.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ECU pins are different... nonOBD is different than OBD1 and OBD1 is diffenent than OBD2a/b... As for most of the Honda style connectors, the pins are interchangable however nonOBD's use a slightly larger grommet on the sealed end of the pin which fits pretty tight into an OBD1/2 connector... Don't get me wrong, they'll still work just fine... I just think they're ugly... Running a OBD1 DC harness in your nonOBD chassis will be fine, it's just a little work... There are many little things that you probably know of and it would probably be easiest to rip your engine loom apart and rework it to match your interior harness (which is still truly nonOBD unless you an OBD1 harness in)... You'll just have the better looking OBD1/2 connectors... Whenever I do OBD1 conversions on nonOBD chassis' it's always easiest for me to make the jumper... Live with the ugly nonOBD main shocktower connectors and use all GRAY OBD1/2 sensor connectors Sorry I went on about so much from your basic question but I just had to add my $0.02... Good Luck
Old 09-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable? (Kataku2K3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ECU pins are different... nonOBD is different than OBD1 and OBD1 is diffenent than OBD2a/b... As for most of the Honda style connectors, the pins are interchangable however nonOBD's use a slightly larger grommet on the sealed end of the pin which fits pretty tight into an OBD1/2 connector... Don't get me wrong, they'll still work just fine... I just think they're ugly... Running a OBD1 DC harness in your nonOBD chassis will be fine, it's just a little work... There are many little things that you probably know of and it would probably be easiest to rip your engine loom apart and rework it to match your interior harness (which is still truly nonOBD unless you an OBD1 harness in)... You'll just have the better looking OBD1/2 connectors... Whenever I do OBD1 conversions on nonOBD chassis' it's always easiest for me to make the jumper... Live with the ugly nonOBD main shocktower connectors and use all GRAY OBD1/2 sensor connectors Sorry I went on about so much from your basic question but I just had to add my $0.02... Good Luck</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks Kataku2k3.
You tha man, This is the info I was looking for. I could listen to you talk for hours. lol
I have both sides of the GSR shock tower plugs and the wires all the way to the the ECU plugs, and I'm trying to figure out how to splice them into the obd0 DPFI CRX chassis harness, I already have the blown90hatchs ECU jumper.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:54 PM

I reded an entire engine harness by re-pinning the connectors, OBD1 motor, OBD0 shock towers/engine harness, OBD1 plugs, and then did a ecu conversion harness, there is one (two: A,B) plugs on the ecu , that can't be re-pinned.

-PHiZ
Old 09-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable? (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I reded an entire engine harness by re-pinning the connectors, OBD1 motor, OBD0 shock towers/engine harness, OBD1 plugs, and then did a ecu conversion harness, there is one (two: A,B) plugs on the ecu , that can't be re-pinned.

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>
So you have already done what I am describing? And, IT IS possible to put an OBD1 B17 and it's engine harness in an OBD0 CRX without cutting and splicing, just by repinning plugs? And your car runs fine?
Is it a VTEC engine?
So many people have told me that it's impossible, I can't hardly believe, when somone says they have done it. And that their car runs great. Good for you man, you rule. Can you PM me or post a write up, here or pix? lol If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:21 PM

I started a write-up, I took close up pics of all the connectors... I'm an unmotivated goon...

Here is a tip though, take pics with a digi-cam. Several times I referenced my pics when I forgot to write down some wire color codes, like on the dizzy plugs...

here are some helpful links.

http://www.geocities.com/kurtsi_on/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/chipm....html

also, get a ecu pinout chart for each ecu, and do a custom pinout/conversion chart. It's well worth the experience, bug me in PM, and I'll try and email mine out.

PR4-&gt;p61

-PHiZ
Old 09-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are OBD0 and OBD1 wires and pins interchangeable? (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I started a write-up, I took close up pics of all the connectors... I'm an unmotivated goon...

Here is a tip though, take pics with a digi-cam. Several times I referenced my pics when I forgot to write down some wire color codes, like on the dizzy plugs...

also, get a ecu pinout chart for each ecu, and do a custom pinout/conversion chart. It's well worth the experience, bug me in PM, and I'll try and email mine out.

PR4-&gt;p61

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanhs PhiZ, you da' man, too. I owe all you guys a beer. lol
You'll be hearing from me soon, PHiZ. lol
Well based on what PHiZ and kataku posted I started to take some looms apart and I CAN CONFIRM that as far as the shock tower plugs go at least, OBD0 and OBD1 use the SAME EXACT PINS in both style plugs. So onward to the next step, in my wire transplant knowledge journey. Surveying what color wire goes to where and why. And the differences between OBD0 and OBD1 wires and plugs and pins.
Wish me luck. lol
Old 11-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by PHiZ
I started a write-up, I took close up pics of all the connectors... I'm an unmotivated goon...

PR4-&gt;p61

-PHiZ
hi my names cee i could really use all the info to do with wiring and pinouts u did . Thank u