Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-OBD to OBDII distributor connections (can anyone verify?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-OBD to OBDII distributor connections (can anyone verify?)

Folks, I'm putting a LS/Vtec into my 89 CRX. I have a wiring conversion to go from non-OBD to OBDI (I will run an OBDI ECU), but unfortunately my GSR head was (is) OBDII. I'm out of $ so I opted to use the OBDII distributor as opposed to springing for an OBDI dizzy. Also after searching all over creation and failing to find a donor wiring harness plug for the dizzy, I elected to direct direct to the distributor with individual male/female connectors. Here's what I did. Can someone verify? (Oh I forgot, my car is a DX that recently had a ZC motor in it, so the previous shop did the conversion from dual point to MFI).

Non-OBD wire ---> OBDII wire
CYL blu/yel -- white (small white wire)
CYL blu/grn -- orn

CRK white -- blu/yel
CRK orn -- blue/grn

TDC wh/blu -- wh/blu
TDC orn/blu -- orn/blu

Blk/yel -- blk/yel (?batt)
blu -- blu (tach)
yel/grn -- white (large)

Have I direct wired the dizzy correctly?
I can't seem to get the car to fire up. I pulled a spark plug and I do get a spark, but that's about it.

Thanks much, Dave K.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Non-OBD to OBDII distributor connections (dkasakitis)

hey man i have the same problem i have a b16 cable that i am trying to put in a 96 civic and i have a pr3 ecu do you know what ecu i need and what distributor to run? Help My head is spinnig
Old 02-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Non-OBD to OBDII distributor connections (yeSIRfaster)

I'm not an expert on swaps, as I've only done one and haven't finished that!!!

Several things. Hopefully you know that your 1996 is OBDII, so it's wiring is very different from OBDI and non-OBD Civics. The thing you have to do is figure out how to make your wiring work with your motor. If your B16A is a OBDI motor, then you're in luck. You can obtain an wiring harness 'converter' and convert your OBDII wiring to OBDI. You'd run an OBDI ECU and distributor. You're probably going to have to obtain the distributor plugs from a salvage yard and repin the plug to plug to your distributor.

If however, you have a non-OBD B16A with non-OBD distributor, then there's more work involved. I think you'd be in a position of having to change a good bit of your wiring to match what the non-OBD system is looking for. Heck I'm not even sure your wiring harness will even PLUG into a non-OBD ecu. I'm sure this swap has been done, sorry I can't help more.

Dave K.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did you buy your adapter from? Some of the adapters are made up so all you have to do is match up the wire colors on the distributor, and not have to concern yourself with the correct sensors being matched up.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Non-OBD to OBDII distributor connections (Jaker)

The wiring harness adapter was done by a guru name Kenji P. All that does is allow me to plug my non-OBD wiring harness in to my OBDI ECU. I still have a non-OBD engine harness. The wire colors for non-OBD and OBDI are pretty similar but MY distributor is OBDII and the wire colors there are completely different. So basically I'm running an OBDI ECU but my distributor is ODBII.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Non-OBD to OBDII distributor connections (yeSIRfaster)

I have a friend of a friend who's done that swap exactly and will ask him, so it will take a few days to get you that information. As I suspected a non-OBD B16A in a OBDII wired car does take a lot of work. Take for example your wiring harness for the distributor. Go out and take a look at it. I'm betting there is a single grey plug there with 9 wires. Your B16A (I'm betting) has a distributor with two plugs and hopefully 9 wires. I don't have the details but the friend's friend spent alot of time doing the wiring.

Check and confirm, but I'm guessing the best thing is as follows:

1. Obtain an OBDI ECU and run that.
2. Obtain a OBDII to OBDI wiring harness converter
3. Obtain a OBDI distributor AND engine harness plug for the distributor (so that means you have BOTH the male and female distributor plug).
4. Repin your engine harness wiring for distributor to the new donor plug and plug it into your OBDI distributor
5. Run the Vtec solenoid and Vtec oil pressure to the new wiring harness converter.
6. You won't use the secondary o2 sensor, so let is hang or remove (and hang onto it, as they are expensive) and plug the hole up.
7. You'll have to research for mounts and axles. (I figure HASports has the mounts and linkage and will point you to axles).

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We configure our adapters so that the wire colors get matched up. Even OBD2 distributors can be hooked up using only wire colors. From the looks of your post at the top, the only colors that would not match perfectly are the yellow/green and the large white wire (ICM), and that is indeed the correct match up.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:39 AM

Jaker, can you tell me more about your adapters? I still don't quite understand your products. Specifically, on my EF DX (standard) CRX, I had three distributor plugs; two stock distributor plugs and the crank sensor plug put there by the folks who did my Dual Point to MFI conversion.

The wiring harness converter I purchased just allowed me to plug my existing wiring harness into my OBDI ECU. What is it that you all offer?

You could see my dilemma. I had three distributor plugs (9 wires) and a 9 wire, single plug distributor. Seeing that I couldn't procure the correct 9 wire OBDII plug to go to the distributor I had to cut the plugs and wire directly. As you could see just a few of the wires matched colors.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Our product is essentially the same as Kenji's. However, we engineered some crosses into the adapter, so that you could put the blu/yel wire to the blu/yel wire, the blu/grn wire to the blu/grn wire, the small white to the small white, and the orn to the orn. As you already see, the wh/blu matches the wh/blu, and the orn/blu matches the orn/blu. The other 3 are the same (except as already mentioned, the yel/grn going to the large white.

I am not sure if this is how Kenji intended his adapter to be configured, so you'll have to check with him on that. Its a shame you could not have gotten your hands on an OBD2 engine harness distributor plug. It would have cleaned up your whole install. Why don't you use the OBD0 distributor plugs, and attach them to your OBD2 dizzy? Are you getting any check engine lights?

[Modified by Jaker, 11:21 AM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:00 AM

We are going to be selling the ZC motor complete with dizzy (axles, ECU, header, etc.) as a complete package so I didn't want to cut that plug off and try to graft it to the OBDII distributor. We tried lots of places to find a OBDII engine harness plug or OBDI dizzy plug (I would have converted the distributor to ODBI plug). I was flat out of $ so I couldn't buy a OBDI distributor. No salvage yards would allow us to cut any engine harness or distributor plug (I don't blame them).

As for CELs? Well long story, I've had to disassemble the fresh motor I prepared as the bearing clearances were just too tight. I'll try to fire the motor up this weekend assuming I'll have it back together. (we also have a leak at the fuel filter and just recently purchased those aluminum washers you are supposed to replace).

Hey that reminds me ... what is the washer configuration for installing the fuel line to the fuel rail. There's two plain aluminum washers and two kinda star like washers. Do you know what goes where? I've checked both my shop manuals and I can't find a picture that shows how the washers go. I.e., do the plain ones go next to the fuel line banjo or do the star washers go there? I'm still getting a slight gas leak there.

Thanks

Dave K.