Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! please. b16b swap wiring help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 NEED HELP! please. b16b swap wiring help!

ok, im just gonna cut to the chase because im so frustrated and upset.

i have a 96 civic ex. its equivalent to the canadian si, so it had the d16y8 which im sure you all know has vtec.

i got a complete b16b swap, engine harness, ecu, engine, etc.

my problem is with the wiring.

its from a RHD vehicle, so the harness was to short obviously. so what i did, was cut what i needed from my old harness and solder it and got it all pretty and through the firewall, plugged into the ecu. everything was looking beauty.

i went to try turning it over for the first time last night, and we fuond out we were getting no fuel. turns out fuse 31 in my underdash fusebox was blown.

fuse 31 is 7.5 amp (ecm/pcm, pgm-fi main relay, integrated control unit) and its a blu/wht wire

we put in a new fuse, tried again, boom! blown fuse. surprise surprise.

while trying to trace some wires to the fuel pump to see if our soldering was **** or something, we noticed on the green plug, the side that stays in the car, not the engine harness half, has aprox. 20 wires, but other half of the green plug (b16b harness half), doesnt have nearly as many wires. there is a grn/yel wire in the main relay, that goes to the green plug, then through to the ecu. problem is, new green connector doesnt have the grn/yel to carry through to the ecu.

looking even further in, and finding this,
Honda OBD0 - OBD1 - OBD2A - OBD2B ecu differences.
this thing tells me my car had obd2b, and my new ecu is obd2a.

here's my question.

what the hell do i do!?
do i have to get a new 96-98 harness then buy a obd2a jumper?
or does anyone know what i can do to save this harness and all the time ive spent working on this harness to get my car running? everything is ready to run except what i thought was the fuel pump.

please please please! someone help me
all answers are appreciated
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP! please. b16b swap wiring help!

I would get a harness from a 99/00 si since it is a stock b motor,then it will all be plug and play. I just sold one for 150. You will end up spending more time and money trying to hunt down the problem. Then just get a jumper harness from obd2b to obd2a.

Your car is a 96 so it would be a obd2a. What year is your motor?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It should have already been pretty much plug and play with the EX harness with the exception of a few things.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
I would get a harness from a 99/00 si since it is a stock b motor,then it will all be plug and play. I just sold one for 150. You will end up spending more time and money trying to hunt down the problem. Then just get a jumper harness from obd2b to obd2a.

Your car is a 96 so it would be a obd2a. What year is your motor?
a 99-00 harness won't work.

resuse the original harness from the car. your obd2a ecu will plug into said harness.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original harness had different plugs on it. It had a big grey, small grey, big blue, and green. The b16b harness has a big blue, medium grey, and green. If it was the same, believe me, I would have used it. I just need to know what I have to do so I can get my car running. A lot of time and money has been invested and being so close yet so far is killing me. What do I need to make it run? Someone must have ran into the same problem as me