Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop.

I have and obd1 H22a in my 92 hatch SI. Ever since I got it, it made a small thumping sound whenever I turned right. Ever since I droped it 3 inches, the sound is much worse. The entire car vibrates and it like a rotating sound, I'm pretty sure it's the driver's side axle. I've since replaced it and still, same problem. I'm at a point right now where I want to replace my axles and possibly my motor mounts for top of the line stuff in order to fix this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do or as to what axles and mounts I should purchasse?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (H22 EH!)

I guess it depends on what mounts you use, but I personally think a 3 inch drop is wayyy too much for an H22 eg. Why would you want it that low anyway?

Not only will this cause axle binding problems on some setups (apparently yours), your oil pan sits too low, not to mention your exhaust.

seriously why do you want it that low?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but I personally think a 3 inch drop is wayyy too much for an H22 eg. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really. My friends H22a Eg with 3" drop has stock integra axles (90-93) with no binding problems. The motor mounts he is running is HCP.

To the poster, like the guy above me asked. What mounts are you using? What axles? LSD or non-LSD?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:19 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

with hcp mounts and a 1 inch drop i was able ot use a 90-93 teg axle on the dirver side, but it woudl have been too long if i went much lower, while passenger side i had an 86-89 teg axle with lude inner joint. another car i did had the same setup but was down about 1.75 inches and as ok.

and to me it woulds like you need ot either raise your car back to a non show car height, or custom order shorter axles.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (turbogixxer)

The reason that it's that low is because Evo makes a set of springs to re-enforce the suspension for an EG with an H22A swap. I was having major traction problems and these spings solved everything. Problem is, they only come in a 3 inch drop.

As for mounts, I do believe they are causing me problems and I will probably change them to Hasport mounts as I hear they are the best. Any comments?

An other problem is that I just found out that my trany is actually an M2J5 from an F22B. Does anyone have any feedback on how things might go with this tranny? I have yet to have any problems. And no, the tranny in not LSD.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (H22 EH!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22 EH! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason that it's that low is because Evo makes a set of springs to re-enforce the suspension for an EG with an H22A swap. I was having major traction problems and these spings solved everything. Problem is, they only come in a 3 inch drop.

As for mounts, I do believe they are causing me problems and I will probably change them to Hasport mounts as I hear they are the best. Any comments?

An other problem is that I just found out that my trany is actually an M2J5 from an F22B. Does anyone have any feedback on how things might go with this tranny? I have yet to have any problems. And no, the tranny in not LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

again you did not state what mounts youare using.i to have a h22 "2.4L" in an eg hatch.i use ground control and kyb's,and i sit right above the tire,w/just a little gap.well when you got tq like i do.......traction is always an issue,no matter how low you are.

plus when you are that low,your axle is dam near touching the bottom of the strut,that is whats making the hence "grinding noise"...and you must be using some kind of after market mounts,unless you cobbled up your on.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have the correct axles setup. My advise is to talk to turbogixxer. He knows ever combination ever made that can work. Oh, and don't drop your car three inches with this swap unless you plan on regularly replacing your oil pan and header.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:39 AM

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this (3" drop) to their car, especially given how low the oil pan sits.

you can't sit there and tell me this was necessary to get traction.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this (3" drop) to their car, especially given how low the oil pan sits.

you can't sit there and tell me this was necessary to get traction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true but I like my hatch slammed. I guess its really up to how much comfort you want from your hybrids civic. I mean I always take it easy around pot holes. Yeah my oilpan is low but I keep an eye out . Besides my civic isnt for comfort. No interior, except 2 front seat and a dash. No stereo. Just the sound of the motor and the leaky exhaust lol. But to each own. I've been riding with my autozone axle setup and accord intermediate for 2 years now without a problem. And Im slammed 3".
Old 03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3 icnhes is not performance at all, its all about the lowrider look.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (Maintenance)

I bet you granny shift instead of double-clutching like you're supposed to. Just remember, it not how you stand by your car, its how you drive your car, you better learn that.

ricers.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet you granny shift instead of double-clutching like you're supposed to. Just remember, it not how you stand by your car, its how you drive your car, you better learn that.

ricers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (Maintenance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maintenance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

true but I like my hatch slammed. I guess its really up to how much comfort you want from your hybrids civic. I mean I always take it easy around pot holes. Yeah my oilpan is low but I keep an eye out . Besides my civic isnt for comfort. No interior, except 2 front seat and a dash. No stereo. Just the sound of the motor and the leaky exhaust lol. But to each own. I've been riding with my autozone axle setup and accord intermediate for 2 years now without a problem. And Im slammed 3".</TD></TR></TABLE>

[Napoleon Dynamite]You guys are retarded. Freakin idiot [/Napoleon Dynamite]
Old 03-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Need help, H22a into 92 eg, axle problem because of 3inch drop. (Hybrid93Eg)

haha very original man. Anways back to the subject. So what is your axle and intermediate combination? Check that out and let us know. Did you do the install or did someobody else did? I would pull out the axle to see if its the right one. I dont think the tranny would matter too much. I used a f22 tranny on my h22 before I went with a different tranny. So I dont think that the cause of the problem.