Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help on h22 into eg hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on h22 into eg hatch

i got a few questions... i was woundering if anyone here has done one and can give me some tips on how to swap??? what do i all need from the lude??? i currently have a b18c1 in there now... its a 92 civic cx... what wires do i need to add??? and how do i know where to mount up the shifter cables??? any help will be ok... thanks
Old 01-15-2002, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (00CiViC_SpecR)

do a search...you will find everything you need there...or go to importbuilders.com and click on forums and ask jeff some questions...hope that helps
Old 01-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (hydroflip)

WHY RUIN YOUR CAR WITH THE H22A SWAP?

Seriously man, you've got a good motor to build on. The H22A is a totally over-hyped swap. I've seen so many mid 14's followed up by tons of excuses why their car "wasn't running right" and shiet.

Here's the funny link:
http://forums.clubsi.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/002313.html

Build the B18C1. See how many ty times there are on that link? I'm telling you that the H22A is waste if you've already got the B18C1. You will need SLICKS to run decent times with an H22A swap, and don't you drive your car every day? Do you run slicks EVERY day? Didn't think so.

Learn from their mistakes.

I'll find a funny link where a bunch of people are comparing their H22A timeslips, and you can count the number of excuses, okay?

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 5:48 AM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (B18C5-EH2)

thanks for that post... im might just go turbo on the b18c1...
Old 01-16-2002, 03:49 AM
Former Moderator

Turbo would be bad-*** man, and you could still build it for all-motor or supercharge it, whatever.

And if you keep the B-series motor you can still auto cross with ease if you ever wanted to. Not that you can't with an H22A, but they do understeer more.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 12:49 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say stay with the b18c1 in there.
because with the money that you would spend on
putting the h22 in it you could build the **** out of the engine you have now.

besides yours as it stands right now should be pretty quick, a friend of mine (also a HT member), has basically the same thing as you, and its very impressive.
so just think of what yours could be with another 5 grand in it.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:56 PM
New User

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (HONDApowerEXTREME)

I would build the gsr up cause you have it already. But the prelude swap would've been a good idea if you didn't have the GSR.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (Nebula)

ok i just found me a drag 3 ball bearing turbo for 1900 shipped... u think this is too good to be true??? and he will only shipped COD if i send 1050 first... lemme know what u guys think
Old 01-16-2002, 09:16 PM
New User

Damn, I'm still trying to decide whether to go h22 or b18c1. Would a stock h22 really have that many traction issues? 15s????....wow...something must be really wrong....all the people i've talked to are low 14/high 13.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:10 AM

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (RK)

this all really depends on how mcuh you could sell your b18c swap. if you could sell it for say $2500 and get the h22a swap for about a $1000 more including installation which is possible at the best price, it'd be worth it. a b18c with say jun 3's won't touch the h22a. only jun 3's of course.

i've had the privelage of driving both and understeer is a myth. the h22a actually felt a bit more neutral for some reason. i guess because the motor is placed more in the rear then the b series motors.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (bgod)

Please tell me how you can say $3,500 for an H22A INSTALLED? That is totally unrealistic.

A GOOD swap goes for $3,300 or MORE, then add the $600+ mount kit, and the labor is NOT cheap NOR is it nearly as drop-in and easy as a B-series swap is.

And please tell me how a B18C1 with good cams pushing 160+hp won't touch an H22A pushing it's 165whp? A B18C1 pushes 150whp stock all day, and good cams will easliy get 10+ to the wheels on a B18C1.

What about gearing? Closer gearbox on the GS-R, right? Better double check, huh?
Old 01-17-2002, 10:49 AM

well i dont know what kind of money your looking to spend but i have a lewd motor in my 92 hatch. I love it theres nothing that i cant beat on the street. I put the motor in mysef and did all the work to make the bitch run. I wired it get the monts from hassport drilled for the linkage cut a box for the linkage, its not that hard. I can do it for you just let me know where you are. Itll cost about 2g thats just because of cost for the mounts and harness. if you have a lewd and civic harness knock off 500. so its your call. But b18 all motor are trash, there hasnt been one that i even have trouble with on the street. if you want a shot of my car or a ride in it let me know
Old 01-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (sickaslewdpoweredatch)

Hello Mr. Ignorant, B-motors are TRASH?

What kinds of 1/4 mile times are YOU running?

Do you auto-X your car?

Just curious. I'd like to know what arear you're in - you sure do talk a lot of .

If the B-motors are such trash, then why do the MOST respected tuners tune mostly, if not EXCLUSIVELY B-series motrs and NOT the H22A?

Ever see a SPOON H22A? TODA? Hell, JUN JUST started messing with the H22A.

Times, pics, etc. will get you a slight bit of credibility, but calling B-series motors trash is just F*U*C*K*I*N*G retarded.

Well?
Old 01-17-2002, 01:37 PM
New User

Yea, $3500 for a h22 installed?? Hmm...dunno about that. I've gotten quotes for 4500-5000. The motor is cheaper than a b series, but it's a harder install...hence labor being a lot more.

A gsr w/cams, etc running close to the same HP as a stock h22....the h22 should still edge it out since it has more torque. But that's assuming that it can gain traction. After more researching....h22 swap owners say understeering is not the problem...it's traction. Someone told me that I can't run with street tires....it's just too much. That is pretty much the reason why i wanna go b18c1. If i go WOT...i don't wanna be spinning all day on the way to school.

Wow....B series trash? I dunno about that. Just look at what kinda numbers ImportBuilders has been producing with "trashy motos". Even Jeff said it himself...if u wanna keep it stock...go h22. If you wanna modify it...b series.

-Rod
Old 01-17-2002, 04:00 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (RK)

Well, consider a H22 swap costs $2000-$2500, mounts $500, and then labor $500-$1000, so you could get it done for $3500. But you also need to purchase other stuff like custom axles, new rad fan, etc, an that all adds up to another $500 or so. The H22 motor takes like 15 minutes to bolt up... seriously. It's the little things like running the cable linkage, the wiring, etc, that takes longer... but after doing a couple of them, it's actually not harder than a B-series swap into an EF chassis (which I've done plenty of those, including on my CRX a few times). As for the H22 swap being "hyped up," well I see the B18C swap as being overrated and way overpriced for what you get, but to each their own... whatever floats your boat. As for driving a H22 Civic on street tires, whoever told you that is full of . Both my hatch and my friend's EK coupe run on street tires for daily driving. I've found that I get better traction from stoplight to stoplight with drag radials, and when at the track you need to run full slicks in order to hook up, and even still I lose traction (less traction off the line than with my turbo B20 setup... crazy).

I don't consider a B-series motor trash. It's a good motor and has a lot of potential. But then I wouldn't call a H22 motor overrated and too hyped up for what it's worth. That also has a lot of potential and when driven properly, can kick *** on the street and track. A lot of people who have H22 swaps in their Civic can't drive it for .

As for modifying a B-series motor and a H-series motor... same . I turboed my B20 motor.... gonna turbo my H22 motor, and I've driven a turbo H22 car... similar to a turbo B20 in a lot of aspects. My friend plans to run a 150 shot of NOS, which the H-series motor can take easily, but it's kind of a lot on a B-series motor (look at the rods and pistons setup on both). Anyways, I'm not bashing on either setup.... I've been both ways and there's good things and bad things about both setups. Just throwing in my 2 pennies.

Old 01-17-2002, 04:04 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (Newman)

BTW, just for fun the other night, my friend lined up his 96 EX coupe against my other friend with a 92 hatch w/B18C swap... both have intake & exhaust, but the B18C motor had 4-1 headers also... both running on 15" wheels on street tires. The H22 Civic pulled in every gear on the B18C hatch when they ran 3 times. Both are good drivers, and the GSR hatch has hit 13.8 on street tires at the end of last summer with same setup and a chipped ECU. Not saying that the H22 Civic is better, but that's just a fun comparison that we did the other night for the hell of it. We'll do a lot more and have it on video... I need to upload it to my server
Old 01-17-2002, 04:51 PM

first of all b18 cant make the power like lewd's and by the way i ran 11.9 @ 107. so dont sit there and talk all that sh**. Your broke b18 that you got stuck in that 89 hatch with the cross of red doors and gray primer needs to see the juckyard. You couldnt bring anything to me thats natural and most turbo civics that can take me. I have never lost on the street and never will to a b18. You know why, because nothing can beat a built h22a with everything in it and on it. You car couldnt make 11's with a turbo you loser. if you want to see what the beast looks like then go to http://www.importstreetscene.com and to the MIR july21-22 race its the main car there the gold hatch. My paint costs more then you make in a year. So dont talk with your barnyard hooooo ride. Aight. And the fastest NA car is a ,...... H22a , thats right its not a b18 is it. You dumba@@. And what does Jun have in there race cars h22a. Whats the fastest turbo civic on earth a h22a. How bout the fastest integra in the plantet H22a (APEXI). So what now whats your fastest car. your B18 thats right thell always be in the background so sit backdown and keep on saving your minimum wage checks and save up for a LEWD. And stop reading Super Street you idiot you dont know sh@@. By the way h22a make 20% more HP and 23% more torque per application. Displacement. Cant beat it. And by the way anytime you want to race ill put titles up and a grand. So what. Where you at and what you got.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Former Moderator

You say JUN has the H22A in thier racecars? Sure thing Captain Incorrecto! Here's a pic from the website YOU linked of a JUN car with a B-Series "crap" motor in it.

Please clarify when you say that JUN RACE cars have the H22A in them - you mean DRAG cars, right?

11.9? On slicks? What's the set-up you cool e-gangster with your s*h*i*t -talking bad-*** self?

I guess the B18 in the Skunk2 Integra isn't a good all-motor car at 10 seconds, huh?

I'd like to see your car TRY to keep up at an auto cross or road race event - NOT gonna happen.

You are definately THE coolest person here. You make more money and spend more money than myself and others here? GREAT. That's cool, in fact, you're the coolest because you have money.

How about buying yourself some humility? You are a horribly conceited whining baby.

Congradulations on having paint that costs "more than I'll make in a year" when you don't even know me cool guy.

You're quite humorous.

Oh THAT's your car? WOW!

I REALLY LIKE THE BASSBOAT METAL FLAKES IN YOUR COLOR-ME-RETARDED GOLD! NICE FRONT BUMPER TOO! I LIKE HOW IT HANGS DOWN WAY FURTHER THAN THE REST OF THE CAR - FLOWS REALLY WELL. HA!

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 3:55 AM 1/18/2002]

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 4:09 AM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Former Moderator

Oh by the way, your "displacement, can't beat it" statement?

Why not just get a fukcing V8 then Mr. Displacement?

And another thing: You brag about money as if THAT is what this whole Honda thing is about.

WRONG. If it were a contest on who can spend the most money and then we should all just concede to the richest ing guy in the world who happens to own a Honda.

You are a tradgedy...
Old 01-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Former Moderator

One more thing sickaslewdpoweredatch, do you even know what I drive? You can talk all of the ish you want to, but I've got a few friends up in VA and don't put it past me to come up there and race you on the STREET where your non-traction getting H22A BassBoat won't have slicks to save the fukcing day.

Funny that you say the B-series motors are trash - my friend here in ATL ran a 11.9 on his first shakedown run on a STOCK LS motor with a turbo. You are an ignorant fool.

I'm serious about that racing bit on the street. The next time VIR has a fun little track event perhaps I could have some post-track-event fun with your snow-plowing Bassboat. I'll be sure to keep my eyes focused straight ahead so your BassBoat flakes don't blind me in my rearview mirror.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

come on guys calm down no need to get agitated were all a family,and i personally have h22 in my 94 si it's true what b18c5 said they are not going to put you into the 13's by just dropping it in this motor needs more fine tuning than a b series motor there are so many things an h22 has that a b series doesn't,don't get me wrong my car moves for having an aem,and a exhaust i give the new m3's a run for there money,well that's before when it was all messed up now it runs 10x's better,but again there isn't a huge aftermarket for h22's there is no 4-1 headers for it the only header i can get would be dcsports header and that's crap so i have to go with a custom one,but let's get along guys h and b18c5 there is a h22 powered jun hb i saw it in couple magazines ago
Old 01-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (rudy 94 si)

Rudy, while I prefer the B18C5 over the H22A, I am not ignorant enough to label all H-series motors as "trash" like BassBoat man did on the B-series motors.

I have seen so many more butchered attempts at the H22A into whatever that it forms my opinion against the H22A. If you're really die-hard and you have a LOT of patience, then H22A might work for you, but if you EVER decide to take your car auto-X or raod racing you might find yourself struggling to keep up with equally-prepped B16A powered cars.

On AVERAGE there are so many more poorly-running H22A hybrids than there are b-series hybrids.

And in THIS case where a guy ALREADY has a B18C1 in his car it would be better to build on it rather than drop an H22A in it.

Does BassBoat child realize that there are b-series motors pushing OVER 240whp ALL-MOTOR and that once you turbo the displacement doesn't mean either? I'm talking STREET cars here too, not some fabricated GM Powerglide-mated-to-an-H22A drag machine that is no longer a real Honda. Come on man, you think a $100,00+ drag MACHINE that has an H22A impresses me as much as a real-world regular-guy attainable car? FUCCK NO!

There are TONS of 10-second boosted B-series motors out there, and there are more being built every day. There have been people who have actually stepped DOWN from the H22A in their uni-bodied drag CARS because they simply don't hook as well as the B-series "trash."

I'm not the biggest anti-H22A in a hybrid guy - I think if it's done RIGHT it can be nice, but I won't sit here and let some stick-*** stunna talk shiit out of his *** just because he thinks his H22A-powered BassBoat is THE shiit.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 4:21 AM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahhahaha

i wish i had a bass boat too, maybe then i could pick up crackhead import hoes with gonnorhia!

DaYm Yo, HiZ RyDe HaS A TyTe BaSsBoAt RoLLcAge!

He paid for the MaD SkiLLz paintjob by selling drugs to rich teenage raver kids. hahahaha!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:41 PM
New User

Default Re: need help on h22 into eg hatch (Newman)

Hey Newman,

Do you have to feather the clutch alot? My real concern is that I don't want to sit there spinning when i have to punch it during daily driving use. How does it fair with raining conditions?

-Rod
Old 01-18-2002, 04:46 AM
New User

My paint costs more then you make in a year.
Damn, please don't tell me you spent over $50,000 on that paint? Hell, please don't tell me you spent over $5,000 on that paint.

And what does Jun have in there race cars h22a.
Um, this has already been discussed.

Whats the fastest turbo civic on earth a h22a.
Wrong. The fastest turbo civic on earth is powered by a H23 mated to a H22 Head.

keep on saving your minimum wage checks and save up for a LEWD.
WTF is a LEWD?

Displacement. Cant beat it.
Then why the hell do you have a 2.2ltr motor?

And by the way anytime you want to race ill put titles up and a grand. So what. Where you at and what you got.
2g buy in! LOL. Watch to much F&F?

posted by B18C5-EH2
Hell, JUN JUST started messing with the H22A.
Tom, c'mon man, that ain't fair! You know that is becasue the B series motor is much more widely used than the H series. Oh wait, maybe their is a reason for that? Must be because the B series is trash right? LOL

posted by Newman
My friend plans to run a 150 shot of NOS, which the H-series motor can take easily
Not to call you wrong, but I don't know about this. I would think twice about putting 150 through a H22 unless it was built. I would stay under 100. I have seen a few blow their H22s with 125 shots.

sickaslewd.... Maybe you should try to calm down a little bit man. Most people who argue with insults only do so because they do not have enough facts to back up their statements. All of you insults only bring your level of credibilty down.

As for what would I do with a hatch? I would put a B series in it and turbo it. Atleast that is what I plan on doing with the 92 Si that I am purchasing. I like the H series right where it is, in my Accord.

[Modified by Big James, 10:05 AM 1/18/2002]

Quick Reply: need help on h22 into eg hatch