Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe flywheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe flywheel problem

As some of you may know i just got my EG H22 swap done. I had the mechanic put a 8lb Flywheel in and i don't know if that is it but it seems like my motor is off balance when i accelerate at certain speeds. Anyone ever have this problem??? TY
Alignment and wheels are good.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maybe flywheel problem (Keeper1343)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Keeper1343 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As some of you may know i just got my EG H22 swap done. I had the mechanic put a 8lb Flywheel in and i don't know if that is it but it seems like my motor is off balance when i accelerate at certain speeds. Anyone ever have this problem??? TY
Alignment and wheels are good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the flywheel is TOO light, it affects the natural balance of the motor. Theres a reason why honda designed flywheels to be a specific weight. Personally i would never buy a flywheel under 10Lbs.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maybe flywheel problem (97Ej6mike)

i was thinking that... well i guess i am going to be putting my stock one on now
Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If the flywheel is TOO light, it affects the natural balance of the motor. Theres a reason why honda designed flywheels to be a specific weight. Personally i would never buy a flywheel under 10Lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not the issue here though, how many people run 7.8lb flywheels and have no issues, I myself do and never had an issue. Depending on the company, you might of got a flywheel that is unbalanced. I remember awhile back a company was having issues with this.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maybe flywheel problem (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats not the issue here though, how many people run 7.8lb flywheels and have no issues, I myself do and never had an issue. Depending on the company, you might of got a flywheel that is unbalanced. I remember awhile back a company was having issues with this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, ive heard allot of debates over flywheel balancing issues, chances are if your feeling a loss in power in some areas, you may be experiencing that issue.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it just feels like when you have a unbalanced tire.... it feels shaky at certain speeds but when you go faster or slower it feels fine..... ( no its not the tires haha )
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yea, ive heard allot of debates over flywheel balancing issues, chances are if your feeling a loss in power in some areas, you may be experiencing that issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not even about loosing power in some areas, if you have an unbalanced flywheel you will know because your going to do some damage.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maybe flywheel problem (Keeper1343)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Keeper1343 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it just feels like when you have a unbalanced tire.... it feels shaky at certain speeds but when you go faster or slower it feels fine..... ( no its not the tires haha )</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine makes a slight shudder/shake first thing in the morning when i drive off to school or work, but i think that has more to do with that fact that i have aftermarket mount inserts, and the general humidity. Other than that, it drives just fine once everything has warmed up.

Its good that you mention that, i actually have a friend who has a JDM b16, and an aftermarket flywheel, and i realize that may be what causes his motor to shake durning certain RPM ranges; I previously thought it may be his Hasport mounts, i think i should warn him.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hasport mounts are awesome.... my motor doesn't move at all even when i rev it to 8K...... so it has to be the flywheel.... it just sucks i put all this stuff on before the swap was even in the car because i don't know what should feel like stock lol
Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine makes a slight shudder/shake first thing in the morning when i drive off to school or work, but i think that has more to do with that fact that i have aftermarket mount inserts, and the general humidity. Other than that, it drives just fine once everything has warmed up.

Its good that you mention that, i actually have a friend who has a JDM b16, and an aftermarket flywheel, and i realize that may be what causes his motor to shake durning certain RPM ranges; I previously thought it may be his Hasport mounts, i think i should warn him.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of clutch are you running ?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine was a stock clutch
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What kind of clutch are you running ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exedy stage one
Like i said, its only for about the first 30 seconds of driving on the more humid of days.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am still having this problem and my mechanic looked at the balance shafts again and said they are fine. This is the only thing i can think of.