Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls/vtec timing problem(timing marks not lining up)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 11:36 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls/vtec timing problem(timing marks not lining up)

I have a crx with a ls/vtec in it with a pr3 computer. After setting the idle to 750 rpm and using the jumper wire my timing is not even close to the marks. I am also using a stock 91 ls diss with one leg cut off. With my timing light the marks line up with 12 deg more advance adjusted on the light. The car feels like it is running ok, but I am thinking that maybe the intake cam is off one tooth? Any ideas. The car feels strong but does not feel like it is advanced so much.

[Modified by DTAYLOR, 4:30 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec timing problem(timing marks not lining up) (DTAYLOR)

I have a crx with a ls/vtec in it with a pr3 computer. After setting the idle to 750 rpm and using the jumper wire my timing is not even close to the marks. I am also using a stock 91 ls diss with one leg cut off. With my timing light the marks line up with 12 deg more advance adjusted on the light. The car feels like it is running ok, but I am thinking that maybe the intake cam is off one tooth? Any ideas. The car feels strong but does not feel like it is advanced so much.
If it's off a tooth... you'd notice... it just won't run right... if you were able to get off the line.

What exactly is the timing issue ? You can't line up what ? You set the #1 to TDC before installing the distributor right ?

I would try to get the distr for your head... the LS distr might not hold up too well.

X2
Old 08-14-2002, 02:50 PM
New User

Default Re: ls/vtec timing problem(timing marks not lining up) (X2BOARD)

I can not set the timing to the mark on the front cover.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From the timing belt dust cover/pulley mark or the arrows on the cam gears ?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:15 PM
New User

From the timing belt cover. The car seem to run ok but would like to know what the timing is. The cam gears are covered up.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just look for a small rise in the plastic on the side, about 3/4 to 1 " long, pointing down at an angle... line this us with the white notch on the crank pulley ( 0 BTDC). Once done, you can mount the distributor correctly.

[Modified by X2BOARD, 7:34 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 06:00 PM
New User

What are you talking about? The distributor can only go in one way. And I don't think that it cares where TDC is. I did grind off some of the distributor bolt holes and got it much closer but it is still off some. Also when I took it out for a test drive it felt like it had the same power.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, if you look at the cog on the distributor (the part you insert to the cam) There is a line/notch on the cog and on the housing to ensure you don't install it 180 deg out of time. Ensure that notch is lined up and the distributor rotor pointing to #1.
Once you set that, you should set the motor to TDC and insert the distributor to the head. This is the proper way to do it.... you might also want to pick up a helms manual for your engine (block) It has the best info you'd need.

X2
Old 08-15-2002, 06:21 AM
New User

I did do that but it is still off. And I do have a couple books on this motor. I think that the ls dis works but you can not set the timing to where it needs to be.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, for one... when you tighten the distr., it will skew your timing slightly from where you originially set it, but not enought to upset the performance to any noticable degree.

Also, on my LSVT, I just had a distributor kick out on me. What I orignially did was (due to the obd2 engine harness) I was forced to swap my LS distr for a B16 as I didn't want to cut the leg... so what I ended up doing was swapping the LS internals into the B16 housing. THEEEEEN.....

The DAY I hooked up vtec, she ran crappy due to the ECU, but by the end of the day... the car just broke down. I was down for a total of 2 days... I disassembled the distr. and did some research... turns ou.. the ICM (or ignitor as some people here call it) from the LS distr. kicked out and just KILLED the car... I swapped out the ICM for a B16 ICM and now the distr works just fine.

My assumption would be that this is one of those little quirks that the pros know... LS distr. just might not be able to stand up to Vtec engagement.... over time, it MIGHT give out.

That would also go towards the reason so many people (supposedly) have trouble w/ LSVTs.

X2
Old 08-15-2002, 08:37 AM
New User

I think that I am going to look for a b16a1 dis housing and swap out my ls parts or try to find a rebuild b16a1 dis. I think that will fix my problem and then I can adjust my timing to factory spec.