Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it

I've heard bad things about the ls/vtec hybrid, and i've heard bad, what do you think? I DO know that the fastest time for an all-motor frontwheel drive car was set by crx with a ls/vtec motor.9.93@134 mph I want to know because I'm going to do my own ls/vtec
Old 02-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls/vtec has so many variables its hard to just "discuss" your thoughts on it without specifying (sp) what combination. i think ls/vtec can be just as potent as any h series in the same vehicle if tuned properly and maintained well.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

if you take the time out to do all the little stuff thats needs to be done and not just slapping it together i think you will be ok. some people just dont pay attention and put it together and then it doesnt last long. i had mine together for little over 3 years boosted and it was fine
Old 02-24-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: (saleensolution)

im getting mine ready i got a b16a vtec head ls short block and b16a transmission . but he is rite^ you gotta modify new internals fix up all wireing and make sure everything is fitting perfect working perfect. i did madd research and phone calls and found out how to do the swap but some ppl say it doesnt last long but sone one with thew same engine can say it lasts long all depends if your patient and can wait to do it rite you know . jus sayn
Old 02-24-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (brasilstreet)

my ls/vtec has been good to me.

i never had any experience with them until a freind brought it up to me. originally i was gonna build up my b16, but instead i did the ls/vtec. i researched almost every thread on here about them, then decided to go ahead and build it. 2yrs now and still runnin strong as hell.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (torr)

wut transmission u use^
Old 02-24-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: (brasilstreet)

b16 tranny
Old 02-24-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (saleensolution)

take the time just like the man said....i took my time actually i was just ls for a while until i had the money for the head and valve springs and retainers......take your time and build it right...it'll run strong and for a while.....unless you ripp on her everyday ....

Old 02-25-2004, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (thevtecnician)

An engine is only as good as it's built. An LSVTEC if properly built can be just as reliable as any factory built motor.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An engine is only as good as it's built. An LSVTEC if properly built can be just as reliable as any factory built motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (MR.OMAR)

after reading and researching for hours on end about ls/vtec setups, im going to take the dive and build one up. no shotcuts here. im going to have it built right with quality parts proven to work.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (butters)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by butters &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after reading and researching for hours on end about ls/vtec setups, im going to take the dive and build one up. no shotcuts here. im going to have it built right with quality parts proven to work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I say good for you .
Old 02-25-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (B18C-Rsi)

yea good luck i just started mine today .
Old 02-26-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (brasilstreet)

This will be my first engine build up. I'm gonna try to do it all on my own.I'm planning on keeping this motor naturally aspirated. I'm gonna be using b16 pistons, rods, tranny, (cable tranny) and head to match the pistons. what kind of compression can I expect to see with those pistons and rods in a B18a1 block?Also, what site can I go to to see a FULL spec sheet on all b-series motors?
Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 AM

When done right and not bootlegged it is very fast. I wouldn't really do a stock VTEC head and stock LS block though. Do it right and build it up.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thevtecnician &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This will be my first engine build up. I'm gonna try to do it all on my own.I'm planning on keeping this motor naturally aspirated. I'm gonna be using b16 pistons, rods, tranny, (cable tranny) and head to match the pistons. what kind of compression can I expect to see with those pistons and rods in a B18a1 block?Also, what site can I go to to see a FULL spec sheet on all b-series motors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

once u use the b16 rods in a LS block i dont think it is still considered a lsvtec.....it would change the whole setup. the stroke would not be the same.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (GSRfoedoe)

werd: look man go ahead and build it. i'll be honest with you, when i first started mine i was skecthy about it. at the time i didn't even know where to begin, but after i got a free ls block i couldn't just leave it alone. one of the first things i bought was a helms manual for 75 bux. then after doing some research i'm now beatin turbo cars, low boost of course. now i can even disassemble my whole motor in a commercial break.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:52 PM

ls/vtec is the ****.

I'm not only the king, I'm also a client.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Do alot of research and build with quaility parts, do it right the first time.
H-T search has helped me out alot with learning everything about this motor, i'm going to start mine soon, thinking of going with a Spark Racing block
Old 02-29-2004, 01:11 AM

if built right... if not!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (EkDave)

Compression with B16 pistons, LS Block, LS RODS (Use these, not the B16 Rods!), B16 head will give you 11.4:1 Compression ratio. A very nice mostly Honda street set up. This is exactly what I have. Use ARP head and rod bolts as well...

My only thought is this, The LS/VTEC started because of the crazy cost of GSR and Type R motors. (The LS/VTEC has nice torque too, I know) , but the prices have come down quite a bit. IMHO it is better to just rebuild a GSR monster than deal with an LS/VTEC. You can get as much torque out of a propperly built GSR AND still rev it to the moon! I have a stock head with CTR cams, and don't rev past about 8400.
My next all motor monster will definatly be a high compression GSR with some big *** cams
Perhaps sleeveed to 2.0L, but its gunna start as a GSR
Hank
Old 02-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (Hankish)

as everyone has already said...if its built right, it will be very reliable. right now i have two choices. 1. buy a complete ls swap, and saving up for all forged internals, arp fasteners for everything, etc..., and adding vtec to it down the road. or just buy a gsr, then save up and bore/sleeve it to 2 liters. not sure which one, but i really like the idea of a 2 liter gsr turbo...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (ninefivehatch)

lsvtec is the easier route over gsr and b16 due to price and the fact u can switch vtec pistons to raise compression makes it a plus use arp rod and head bolts along with typer or b20b oilpump z10 crank girdle and gsr oil cooler and ofcorse vtec water pump and timing belt and you should be safe not safe to beat the **** out of it every day but it will last as long as you maintain it
Old 03-01-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it (swaytec360)

I've just come into a '96 cx hatch w/ a gsr B18C1 engine and the previous owner had started to accumulate and passed on to me, an ls block and other parts to make ls/vtec engine. do you think it would be a good idea to continue in his plan or to just stay with the gsr?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:14 PM

nothing but good... well built with potential in mind... IM me if you want descriptions of the setup peace

Quick Reply: LS/VTEC post your thoughts on it