Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls/vtec owners? Tranny ques.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls/vtec owners? Tranny ques.?

For all you ls/vtec owners what tranny's are you guy's using? If you guy's are using a gsr's when you shift are you losing alot by not being in the vtec range??
Old 06-25-2001, 08:04 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ls/vtec owners? Tranny ques.? (stretracr)

my friend has a ls/vtec in a 95 hatch with a b16 head and hes runnin on a ls tranny. he hits high 13s and low 14s all day long
Old 06-27-2001, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends what you want man, I don't have a ls/vtec, but I do have a JDM S1 tranny(it has pretty much the same ratios as an ITR tranny) Even with my engine problems, it pulls hard. Vtec trannys are made to go with vtec engines, shorter gears to keep you up in the vtec range . Although, the LS trannies have longer gears for higher top speed and better MPG. If you've got the torque to twist them, which I know you will , the LS would do you good if its your daily driver. But if not, go with the steeper gears, slightly better performance, and you wont' have to upgrade later like I did.

~steven
Old 06-27-2001, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ls/vtec owners? Tranny ques.? (Speed PHreak)

I'm just worried about not being able to shift at 8100 I only will be shifting at @7000 so I was thinking I will be out of vtec when I shift.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're worried about staying in the Vtec range, i'd get the shorted geared tranny. You'll be riding higher in the RPMs all the time so you'll be closer to vtec period. My JDM tranny is about 500 RPM higher over all than my LS tranny. I have no problem putting a move on just shifting normal @ 3.5/4K. You might want to invest in a external vtec controller so you can adjust the vtec down to accomidate for your ls/vtec. I think normall B18c and B16 kic in around 5400 ? Could be mistaken tho.

later