Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls/vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 05:51 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls/vtec?

if i had a ls motor ... what would i have to do to hybrid it to ls/vtec? is it a lot of work and how much does it cost? est price is cool
Old 09-02-2001, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec? (gsx0r)

I have heard anything from 2500-8000 to get it to run properly. I would say it is alot of work but if everything is correct it is capable of being a very brutal motor. you will need a vtec head ( b16,b17,b18) make sure the head has things such as ( distributor,intake mani & throttle body and hardware that would normally come with it. a vtec controller,vtec ecu to controll the vtec solenoid. a b18a/b head gasket. you will need to get the oil feed hole filled with a screw on the vtec head.
you will need to beef up the block to be able to rev high safely.

looks expensive huh.... if you want a cheaper more reliable motor just get a vtec motor.. i'm still not a full believer of frankenstien motors quite yet.
do a search on this topic it has been discussed numerous times. I'm sure someone on this board can aim you at the right direction ask around.

[Modified by Slain, 8:33 AM 9/3/2001]
Old 09-02-2001, 11:47 PM
New User

Go with the B18 head. Those guys over at http://WWW.IMPORTREVIEW.COM. Got some interesting results damn near stock wit some ITR cams & gears. Check out there vtec/ls dyno review.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:51 PM

Default Re: ls/vtec? (ASSMAN)

Go with the B18 head. Those guys over at http://WWW.IMPORTREVIEW.COM. Got some interesting results damn near stock wit some ITR cams & gears. Check out there vtec/ls dyno review.
I checked out that site they did get some good results had a parts list too. Seems like 8g's is a bit high tho. I'm sure you can do it for a lot cheaper than that.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:20 AM
Trial User

Its not all that expensive. I just acquired a B16 head for $300. Now for all the add ons, Skunk2 intake...$255, ITR cams....$450, ITR pistions and rings.....$200....shotpeen rods and arp rod bolts....$80, fit pistons to rods....$20, rod bearings...$80, reprogram ecu...$150, MSD rpm activated switch....$100, other hoses and fittings....$100, gaskets.....$50. Im sure i've left some things out but i've hit the big items. This is nowhere near $8000 and should be over 200 hp.
Old 09-03-2001, 05:21 PM
New User

ls/vtec is not that expensive(8000) but who ever is doing it! make sure they know what there doing.....you will need a vtec head (complete)dist,im,etc.....vtec ecu...(if your car is not already vtec u will need to hook up a wire to the ecu for the vtec solenoid..and a knock snsor depending on the year of your motor) u will need someone to plug the main vtec oil passage on the block and head and rerout the(head oil passage) to the oil sending unit on the back of the block...u will need to widen (drill) the dowl holes in the head (if u dont do this the block and head will not bolt up!!)..........this is just a breaf rundown on what u will expect (the process is much more detail)......oh also, if u can!!! try to rebuild or beef up the ls block..or your ls/vtec will not last long...trust me....
Old 09-04-2001, 01:14 AM
New User

Default Re: ls/vtec? (silverhybrid)

for a 96 hb whats the best swap for the price. i've heard bad things about like all the engines from b16a-ls/vtec. are b16's stable in a hb?
Old 09-04-2001, 11:48 AM
New User

well it really depends what you want.. torque or high revving horsepower? how much do you WANT to spend and how fast do you really wanna go? for some people b16's are perfect, for other's they're just not enough and they need tha ***** of a prelude motor or b20vtec! for price, realiablility and ease of installation the vtec b-series are my preference..

wow, if you've heard bad things about all of em that means integra's and del sol's pretty much all have "bad" motors.. not sure who's tellin you what but they are not "bad" motors.. how would honda be in business if half of their motors were "bad?" i've had a b16 in my hatch for over two years now and the thing still runs like a champ.. guess i got lucky and got a 'good' one..
Old 09-13-2001, 09:42 AM
New User

Default Re: ls/vtec? (bojangs)

nah you misunderstood me! i meant ls/vtec is not a very stable motor. my friend just got that swap in his 6th gen hb and something happen now its just a b16a
Old 09-13-2001, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't believe the B.S. hype. I am currently building one. I am looking at $4-5k on this COMPLETE swap(axels, tranny, ecu, etc) This is with type R parts too. It costs a shitload to build it right. But it's worth it. I HAVE HEARD THE MOTORS LAST A GOOD WHILE, as long as built properly. Don't rev past 8k unless you get a block girdle and oil squirters. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. If you have any Q's IM me. I'll let you know of my personal experiences.

HYBRID-ON guys
Old 09-13-2001, 11:14 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec? (WAFFLES)

I agree. Mine has run perfect . 13.4 @ 104. Stock ls bottom end!
Old 09-15-2001, 08:45 AM
New User

8k is a bit much to spend on an engine swap. I don't have so much faith in the Ls/Vtec and no one can really say how long it will last because it's still a fairly new concept. No one can truly say that they are reliable because they don't know about their longevity. I see alot of people trying to get rid of their Ls/Vtec or having problems with them. Sure we can say that it depends on who builds it and some people get them to work, but it's a bit wishy washy wouldn't you say. And you're talking about 8k for 200hp??? Get a JDM type R (B18cR) and stroke it to 2.2l add some High Comp Pistons, TODA cams and what ever you want for 8k or less and you have a more reliable engine Designed by HONDA Million $$ engineers.
Old 09-15-2001, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec? (VTEC_MAN)

I dont think it costs $8k for a conversion.
i think i can do it for under $2k, i am planning on building it up tho so i may spend more in the long run. i agree with Waffles, $5K at most.

granted i already have the LS block as its stock in my car, and i have tranny and all that stuff too. guess thats the advantage of having a B18a powered 2g Integra, all i have to worry bout is the topend, pistons and ECU and oil pump. oh, and i'll be doing some bottom end build up cuz i wanna get over 7k rpm safely. although it probably could handle it, but i'm planning on NOS later on.