Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longitudinal Mounted V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Longitudinal Mounted V6

Hi folks,

I'm throwing ideas around for a Honda V6 mounted longitudinally in the front of my Del Sol. **please throw loads of flak at me about how stupid an idea this is** My Sol is old, not worth trading in and I'm looking for a new daily, planning to turn the Del Sol into a crazy RWD franken-car of sorts. Long-term fun pet project that might sit in my garage for 5 years. I have plenty of ideas and am planning to do some cutting/welding/fabbing, but this thread is for specific questions, not critique of the prospective project. I've read quite a few other threads, I'm looking for general advice about Honda V6s from people who have experience with them.

I don't know much about the J or C series engines other than that they are SOHC, some have VTEC and they all seem to be front drive (escept NSX). Both seem to be tall engines.

Question 1: Which J or C series is the shortest from bottom of pan to top of headcovers?
Question 2: Which engines can be dry sumped,pre-existing kits out there, haven't found many googling.
Question 3: Is it possible to use a C32A C35B (early 90s Acura/Honda Legend) without its strange FWD longitudinal transmission? From pictures it doesn't seem clear whether the oil pan is part of this trans or what is really going on, could someone elaborate on this engine and trans assy.
Question 4: Tell me anything about the smaller C20/C25/C27 engines as I can't seem to find much on them. I did read that they use aluminum blocks which is a plus for weight. Anything about them would be appreciated!

The "franken" part of my plan is to remove the gas tank, then cut the trunk floor and everything behind the rear window fierwalll/inner trunk wall out. Leaving the outer shell, quarters, bumper, beams, trunk, etc. intact. Then comes a Porsche 944 rear end (trailing arms, shock mounts, subframe, and rear mounted transaxle). The rear end will be reinforced with tube frame structures connecting key frame components of the Del Sol, namely the two beams that run back to the bumper to various stress points of the Porsche stuff (ie shock mounts etc). The 944 uses a torque tube which will have to be modified in length and at the engine attachment bellhousing to attach to the whichever Honda engine eventually goes up front, hopefully a V6. Lots of jigs will have to be made to ensure proper alignment. There are 100 other details I've pondered as well that will represent engineering feats to overcome, but this thread is about Honda V6s and which ones people think might work best for this set-up and WHY.

Thanks for any ideas, hopefully this starts some interesting discussions!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Longitudinal Mounted V6

I'll update with the link later as the forum is down for maintenance, but when it's back search on NZHondas.com for "nsx swapped civic sedan" or similar. Will give an insight into the work involved. It's an eg civic so not too different to a del sol

EDIT. So I had the title wrong:

https://nzhondas.com/index.php?/topi...by-a-Nsx-heart

Last edited by Klasse; 04-16-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Longitudinal Mounted V6

Absolutely inspiring!! He did it with a C30 or c35 and some custom looking control arms...and a rear transaxle of some kind. Found another of a Russian guy sticking a J32 in the front with a front trans and rear diff. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Now engine dimensions! Anyone know where I can find dimensions for the C series or J series?