Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor problem... Code 23...

Old 02-11-2004, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor problem... Code 23...

theres no CEL while driving........... though... it gives code 23...

before i had the CEL come on while the motor runs normal temperature... then i kept fixing it and the code went away somehow... no CEL coming on no more. then couple weeks later it came back on...... the next day theres no more CEL til today... but........... the code 23 is thrown even though ECU was being reseted... still no CEL though........ bad rewire or faulty sensor?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Knock Sensor problem... Code 23... (wizzards581)

could be a bad sensor or there could be a small knock that the sensor is picking up, ive been having the similar problem but i found out my motor was throwing 23 due to massive amounts of carbon build up. there are a number of things knocking are caused by
off timing
carbon build up
faulty knock sensor
running to lean(fuel system/but if that were true you would have another code thrown for the faulty lean fuel system)
i dunno hope this could help i was completely frustrated until i found that the carbon build up on my motor was out of control.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Knock Sensor problem... Code 23... (THElittleHATCHthatCOULD)

hows the timming on your distributor sit?? middle? or fall all the way towards the front?? my distrib. falls all the way towards the front to be almost 16'........ its not perfect too...
Old 02-11-2004, 08:29 PM

u need to let me check out your wiring for the knock sensor. before second guessing. see u at work.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use shielded wire when you wired the Knock sensor? This is something people overlook which the factory wiring is shielded. Some people get away with using regular wire, most don't.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Knock Sensor problem... Code 23... (VTECVillain)

i dont think it matter by shielded or not......... but mine is shielded.. though its the same... US or JDM p72 throwing same codes.........

but no CEL lights on ...............!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:15 AM

hey i got a ques too since ur on tyhe subject about the knock sensor, dont mean to steal ur thread but im having a similar problem. i just dropped in a 95 gsr into my 94 si hatch. everything should be plug and play right? i know that one harness on the driver side wont plug in-thats the evap purge valve but do i need to wire up the knock sensor? or is it already taken care of and hooked up with the harnesses? i guess what im trying to say is do i need to wire the knock sensor up for my swap or is it already tajen care of?
Old 02-13-2004, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THElittleHATCHthatCOULD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i got a ques too since ur on tyhe subject about the knock sensor, dont mean to steal ur thread but im having a similar problem. i just dropped in a 95 gsr into my 94 si hatch. everything should be plug and play right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the most part everything will be plug and play. If you are using the GSR engine harness then you will need to make the connections for the Knock sensor and IAB from the shock tower plugs to the ECU. If you are using the stock Si harness you will need to wire up both of those sensors from the sensor itself to the ECU, whether you do it directly or to the shock tower plug first then the ECU.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Knock Sensor problem... Code 23... (VTECVillain)

i have 93 si......... only thing i wired was knock sensor.. and repin the iab wire... everything else plugs........ though knock sensor is an ***..... i reseted the ecu for 2-3 hrs and still same out put code........

still no CEL lights..........
Old 02-22-2004, 12:23 AM

are you still having the cel knock sensor code pinout? im still getting the problem after i wired it up confused and looking for opinions to what the problem could be.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THElittleHATCHthatCOULD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you still having the cel knock sensor code pinout? im still getting the problem after i wired it up confused and looking for opinions to what the problem could be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea... i still daily drive it too......... but i need to get it fixed for state ref... anyone can give me a clue to solve this problem????
Old 02-24-2004, 01:08 AM

yah **** i dunno whats goin on with my car doesnt seem as if there is any knocking goin on but i wanted to ask you if you are having some other similiar problems.... when accelreating hard does ur gas pedal shake? i noticed that sometimes in 2nd gear but most times in 5th when i floor it a bit the dash vibrates and the pedal shakes pretty bad. my mounts are all still good but i dunno what else could be causing the vibrations. do you get similiar vibrations? am i paranoid or is it usually for something like that to occur when you put a b18c1 into a 94 si hb?
yah bout the knock sensor im thinking maybe the sensor went bad or maybe there is a small knock going on my motor has 90xxx miles on it and came outta a wrecked gsr so im assuming maybe the sensor is damaged. after i replace the snesor if the light still comes on i think im gonna take it to a mechanic to see whats going on.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:49 PM

my pedals are fine. i raced it couple of times also.... i can pull the RSX-S drag and freeway punch... though everyone said CEL restricts the VTEC... i lost to a CX w/ GSR... mine is jdm b18c and prob has 57,xxx miles now... wen are u replacing the sensor.... wen u do let me know about the effects... jus im me.. haha.. i need to clear my problems too.

im still thinkin of taking it to acura/honda to run a test if my wiring, sensor, or the jdm ecu failed...
Old 02-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wizzards581 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have 93 si......... only thing i wired was knock sensor.. and repin the iab wire... everything else plugs........ though knock sensor is an ***..... i reseted the ecu for 2-3 hrs and still same out put code........

still no CEL lights..........</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure you wired in the knock sensor to the correct pinout (D3) at the ecu plug?
Old 03-01-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Knock Sensor problem... Code 23... (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you sure you wired in the knock sensor to the correct pinout (D3) at the ecu plug?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes.. i have many informations online here... though one of my friend with a CX have same problem.. he jus changed the whole passenger chasis harness from tower to ECU and it ran like the stock SRT-4... im still tryin to fix it...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wizzards581 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes.. i have many informations online here... though one of my friend with a CX have same problem.. he jus changed the whole passenger chasis harness from tower to ECU and it ran like the stock SRT-4... im still tryin to fix it... </TD></TR></TABLE>

got dang..sounds like a nightmare...he changed the whole cabin harness for a knock sensor & vtec wiring?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:16 PM

yes he did.. he had never ran into such a big problem like that before.. and since the harness was given to him he rather do it once and have it running then being like me now still driving with code 23... he was glad he changed it too. its worth it.

some guys say we can chip out the knock sensor and will pass smog in CA.? if so i might as well do that instead. and hope it wont effect anyting on the motor.. do you think its possible?
Old 03-04-2004, 03:41 PM

yah i was thinking bout chipping my ecu to ignore the knock sensor i found out that infact even if you hook up the sensor and the CEL light still comes on and pins out 23 then it is the sensor that is going bad. from what i was told engines normally knock-maybe not seriously but maybe like minutely at times the sensor lets the ecu know when to retard timing so nothing bad happens when knocking occurs. so from what i interpret its a natural thing and the fact that the sensor isnt working forces the ecu to go into a safety mode and automatically retard timing at a constant. i could be completely wrong but i think it goes something like that. i got a replacement knock sensor but havent put it in yet. i hear its a beyatch like gotta take off the intake manifold to get to it. i dunno. gonna do it this weekend hopefully everything will work out fine and the problem is the broken knock sensor. if it isnt then i have no idea and i think im gonna have to leave it to the pros. oh yah is that THE KATMAN. i hear that, that dude is a electrical ecu genius. he has a seperate division on jhpusa.com and programs ecu and such, if anything you could have your ecu reprogrammed by him.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THElittleHATCHthatCOULD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...oh yah is that THE KATMAN. I hear that, that dude is a electrical ecu genius...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, I wouldn't say thaaat.

wizzards581,
you could try running a stock P28 ecu to pass smog. Stock P28's do not look for a knock sensor by default.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol, I wouldn't say thaaat.

wizzards581,
you could try running a stock P28 ecu to pass smog. Stock P28's do not look for a knock sensor by default.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so i can run my p28 to ref my b18c? i need to ref my b18c though...
Old 03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wizzards581 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so i can run my p28 to ref my b18c? i need to ref my b18c though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, you can try it....I've heard of people passing their B16 engine with a stock P28 ecu.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:05 PM

but some peeps here say that the ecu must be verify or something by acura dealer proving that its usdm ecu since that my motor is jdm... ?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wizzards581 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but some peeps here say that the ecu must be verify or something by acura dealer proving that its usdm ecu since that my motor is jdm... ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you live in CA, usually its hard to get your car smogged or ref'd if you have a JDM engine, although I've heard of some people passing with a JDM motor....not sure of how they passed or if the ref was a str8 up tard.

You can always go to your local ref and ask them if passing a Japanese engine is possible or not.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:01 PM

if you live in CA, usually its hard to get your car smogged or ref'd if you have a JDM engine, although I've heard of some people passing with a JDM motor....not sure of how they passed or if the ref was a str8 up tard.

You can always go to your local ref and ask them if passing a Japanese engine is possible or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if the ref saids JDM no pass.. bottom line.. then.. im fuked... but it would be the same as if an old supra died and replacing the motor with a jdm too rite?