Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K20Z3 into EK hatch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K20Z3 into EK hatch.

I have been spending about 2 weeks trying to find as much info about doing this swap and I keep landing here. Before you say use the search function let me tell you that I have, here and a ton of other sites. I got the engine/tranny for just about free and just picked up a ek shell for really cheap, so its a no brainer that I would try to put the two together. Now I am no new comer to engine swaps, but I am when it comes to the k swap. The main question I have is what all is needed to do this swap other then the normal stuff for say a k20a2? I plan to use the EKK2 mounts, so I will be needing to swap in a eg/dc subframe?, but I am more worried about the oil pan sitting really close to the ground. I have also read that I will need to change out the IM for a RBC unit and type s TB? I plan on using Kpro but what engine harness will I need to use, I have read that I can use a EP3 one? I have also read that I will need to use my vodoo magic to get the shifter cables to work and that I will need to use type s ones or use 06+ si ones, this is where more confusion comes to play and help here would be great.

I know this swap has been done by all the research I have done, but I still need some real insite from people in the know that I am hoping that this site can provide.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
A Digital Frontier

Default Re: K20Z3 into EK hatch.

same as any other k swap in an EK just different shifter mechanism and throttle body, upside is it already comes with an RBC comes with more aggressive cams, and LSD. But the downside is it takes a bit more work to get it in.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirtyharryhatch
same as any other k swap in an EK just different shifter mechanism and throttle body, upside is it already comes with an RBC comes with more aggressive cams, and LSD. But the downside is it takes a bit more work to get it in.
Thanks for the info! so what shifter would I need to use?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you did in fact search you would of found out that there is a site "k20a.org" that has ALL the info you need.

if you go with the ekk2 mount, yes you do need the eg subframe and the motor will sit the way it would in a eg which would give you better ground clearance then the ekk1 mount

if you got the z3 manifold aka RBC, keep it and find yourself a type s throttle body and a Karcept throttle body adapter. the RBC manifold is better than the type s manifold anyways

the engine harness will depend on which tranny you plan on using. if its a 6 speed tranny you will need a type s harness because of the reverse lock out plug that the type s has the and the 5 speed doesnt have. if you got the funds get yourself a hybrid-racing engine subharness and that will make everything plug and play for your car otherwise you will need to make yourself a sub-harness

again if you got he funds, hybrid-racing just recently came out with a bolt on shifter for the k series into civics without having to cut the exhaust tunnel of the car so you can either buy that or go the other route which is buy a shifter box from a type s or EP, which ever tranny your going with and get the karcept shifter mount kit and do it that way
Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to change the speed sensor too, unless you plan on running an s2k cluster. The z3 uses an electronic speed sensor.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint707
You need to change the speed sensor too, unless you plan on running an s2k cluster. The z3 uses an electronic speed sensor.
you can get the hybrid racing speedo box or the dakota digital box if using the stock cluster.