Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues....

Okay, as I am talking to Jon, trying to figure out the friggin problem with all the vibration issues.

I understand Brandon (JDMH22HATCH), myself and a few others that have NO vibration issues, have FRONT SWAY bars.

I could be wrong, but I haven't had any issues with my EX coupe, nor my hatch (with my EX front brakes, front LCA's and front sway bar), and accelerates very nicely.

Being the rest of you guys who have vibration issues, I am thinking have no front sway bars.

Like I said I could be wrong, but it is a big time thing to think about.

Reason I'm thinking about this is because the sway bar braces the LCA's and could reduce the vibration (very strange), but oh well.

Let me know what your feedback is!
Old 07-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (poison)

well I know for a fact my motor was moving.

I could see where it was touching the passenger side frame rail (transmission).

I don't have sways.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (Jonathan_EH)

Thing is your motor shouldn't be moving at all.

My motor doesn't even flex at all, just goes right to the axles. I don't even have spring bolts holding the header collector to the cat, and haven't broken the bolts at all either. So I'm 100% sure my motor doesn't move.

Could be a mounting issue as well...
Old 07-25-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (poison)

hummmm. i have gsr suspension all around,but no sway bar. i think its laying around though. is it a straight up install? what about the traction bars,you think they may help?
Old 07-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (hondaeg5)

no sway bars oe strut bars here either.. but I dont have vibration issues.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (hondaeg5)

wouldn't traction bars, if anything, make it slightly worse?

Could my vibration be something internal?

Thing is, it only shudders on acceleration, in gear....that's why I'm thinking axles.

I can have it in my driveway in nuetral, and rev it up pretty high, and it's real smooth.

But if I'm cruising, and stomp it, I can feel shuddering throughout the entire car.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wouldn't traction bars, if anything, make it slightly worse?

Thing is, it only shudders on acceleration, in gear....that's why I'm thinking axles.

I can have it in my driveway in nuetral, and rev it up pretty high, and it's real smooth.

But if I'm cruising, and stomp it, I can feel shuddering throughout the entire car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing here.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I have never had any vibration issues. Even when I was on stock shocks and APC coilovers. Well for my .02 cents, it sounds like it could be a few problems. Jon, have you ever taken your tranny apart? Sounds like the diff might not be seated just right or maybe the axles are the wrong lengths. Also, what shocks are you running? Are they in good condition? Does your motor move at all when just revving in your driveway without moving?

I currently am running the Hasport mounts, Prodrive axles, Tein type flex's, S/T sway bars, and Totem traction bars, with a GSR strut bar. I have zero vibration issues, except for coming out of first really slowly (but that is normal). But even back over a year and a half ago when I first had the swap and was running a different axle setup with the hasport mounts, no strut or sway bars, and stock shocks on APC coilovers, I still never had vibration issues.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:57 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But if I'm cruising, and stomp it, I can feel shuddering throughout the entire car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you tried swapping out transmissions? Although it sounds like a PITA, get any tranny that'll work (even Accord) and try it out. I've seen 2 H22 transmissions with "bad" diffs and it caused the car to shake like crazy, even when the axles were perfect and not binding (and the joints were all Prelude joints). Just another possibility as I've heard of more H22 transmissions having the same problem, but I've seen 2 personally and when they swapped out the tranny, the car was smooth.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (Newman)

Hmm, that's an odd *** problem that still gets me lol. I haven't had anything as far as vibrations at all.

I'm just wondering if hondaeg5 and Jon are having the exact same problem.

We all need to have an H22 meet and see what the deal is!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me clarify...

I no longer have 'vibrations' since i fixed my balance shafts.

but what i've always had, aside from the vibrations, is shuddering when accelerating.

Sitting in the driveway, i can rev up to like 7K and it's real smooth. Driving regularly and accelerating slowly or even at a good pace, it's real smooth.

But as soon as I go WOT, there's a shuddering that you can feel in the floorboards. It's very annoying.

The motor doesn't move any when I'm revving in the driveway.

I think I'm going to try a different axle combo, maybe the 'Honda' axle combo, and then go from there. I want a backup set of axles anyhow.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jon, when it vibrates does the dash and door panels shake too? I had that problem with my B16 EF when I was using 91 teg axles. I was told that the shaking was caused by my axles. So I was told to use shorter axles(88-89 teg axles) and the vibration was non existent. That why I bought stock teg axles, if the length were wrong I could always switch back and forth till I found the right combination without paying a extra dime. When I first put the H22 in I did have the vibration issue when I used the 91 axles and from my experience I was able to identify axle shakes. I noticed it was mainly coming from the pass side so I decided to use an 89 pass side axle, after I put that in I've had zero issues as far as axle vibration..... now if I could only get rid of the dam hesitation.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me clarify...

I no longer have 'vibrations' since i fixed my balance shafts.

but what i've always had, aside from the vibrations, is shuddering when accelerating.

Sitting in the driveway, i can rev up to like 7K and it's real smooth. Driving regularly and accelerating slowly or even at a good pace, it's real smooth.

But as soon as I go WOT, there's a shuddering that you can feel in the floorboards. It's very annoying.

The motor doesn't move any when I'm revving in the driveway.

I think I'm going to try a different axle combo, maybe the 'Honda' axle combo, and then go from there. I want a backup set of axles anyhow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

we both need to get the teg axle setup and try that. you problem sounds exactly the same as mine.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have the S/T front and rear sway bars, and still the vibration is there.
but my problem is in the mounts. i have the place racing mounts and the tranny mount is just not right. i had two sets of them now, and still the vibration is there.
saving money for a set of hassport mounts........
Old 07-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (cccya)

i wish my stock front sway bar would fit without interfering with shifting :*(
Old 07-27-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (j.fuggi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wish my stock front sway bar would fit without interfering with shifting :*(</TD></TR></TABLE>

You took off your sway to fit cable shifters?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:56 AM
New User

vibration = axle problem
Can be the angle of the engine(I raise mine and no more vibration) or the wrong axle combo(driver side). You can try to remove the C clip from the outer joint of the axle that give you more clearance again to prevent binding. I try different thing and I resolve the problem by myself after 1 year. Keep try what work well for your car By the way I dont have sway bar and I resolve the problem without it !!!

Modified by Civic Rs at 7:20 PM 7/28/2003
Old 07-28-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (Civic Rs)

For those of you with front sway bars. Do they interfere with anything else as far as shift linkage and such. What kinds are you guys using; stock or ST brand? (Ex I have stock CX lower control arms and do not plan on changing them anytime soon)

And lastly can they still be used in conjunction with a traction bar..??
Old 07-28-2003, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Just came across an idea for all you H22 Civics with vibrating issues.... (Jason kiDD)

Ya I'm using EX front sway bar with my EX front LCA's, I routed the cable shifters under the sub frame because it won't clear with the sway bar there. Never grinded a gear at all even at the track, and I shift pretty friggin quick.